Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • What is your idea of a good driver?
  • Smee
    Free Member

What skills etc make a driver good driver?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Absolutely crucial that they have good typing skills and can sustain a circular argument on an internet forum for days on end.

😆

Have a good Xmas!

Smee
    Free Member

Aye, but that's a given.

Kahurangi

Ability to read the conditions, early preparation and anticipation, avoidance of hazardous situations, ability to resist showing off and ability to resist creeping (just a little bit over the speed limit, take that corner a little bit faster, slow down a bit later) beyond what you know to be best.

After all, driving is a means of getting A to B for most of us and I want to get there and not a ditch or a hospital.

plant
    Free Member

Me

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

90% about attitude, 10% about skill.

One of the greatest skills you can have as a driver is knowing your limitations and faults.

What prompted the question?

If anyone is looking for a late Christmas present idea:

http://www.iam.org.uk/the_iam/

Skill for Life £139/url]

hora
    Free Member

Most important- never panic even when faced with with an impossible situation.

I bet many accidents are caused by over-reactions and (especially on motorways) – over-correction.

plant
    Free Member

Second what Andy says (serious mode on) …. I don't display my IAM badge on the grill.

TerryWrist
    Free Member

Driving Instructor skillz

Smee
    Free Member

AA – just wanted to see what people though being a good driver was all about.

I don't display any of my badges unless it's a legal requirement. 😉

Moses

Anticipation, driving within ones own and the road's limits, tolerance and courtesy towards other users.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Most important- never panic even when faced with with an impossible situation.

I bet many accidents are caused by over-reactions and (especially on motorways) – over-correction.

I often find drivers claim something happened "suddenly" when in reality they had prior warning.

As JonT said, observation is key. I start with getting people to look up the road, read it and the prevailing hazards (a hazard is a physical feature or something created by the movement of other road users).

Once you've seen something then you can deal with it.

Spotting things and gives you time to react and deal with them.

Seriously, IAM membership is an incredibly good deal. There are local groups across the UK with volunteer (but highly trained) "Observers" like me who provide as many "free" sessions as you'll need to get you throught the (testing) 1 1/2 hour test (with a police advanced examiner).

IanMunro
    Free Member

Ventilated driving gloves.

Smee
    Free Member

One of my favoured teaching techniques was to get a pupil to tell me what the hazards were on a particular stretch of road, first while stationary then on the move. When we were on the move I would give them a 3 second head start on telling me about a hazard before I would tell them about it. The universal reaction would be "shit there's a lot to see", "yip".

DrRSwank
    Free Member

What makes a good driver?

Keeping all of you peons behind me where you can't cause me damage!

So instead of listening to the crap from your driving instructor "mirror, signal, manouvre" listen to this – "GET OUT OF MY WAY AND STAY THERE"

Oh, and just in case – it's a silver jag being driven by a driving god…..

thehustler
    Free Member

A good driver knows the inside lane of a motorway is the travelling lane, and the other two are supposed to be for overtaking, not special BMW lanes……

hora
    Free Member

My driving instructor told me to treat everyone on the road like an idiot. So, taking his good advice I am the only good driver on this planet 😉

Drac

Quiet efficiency is the hallmark of an expert. Although alert they give the impression of being completely relaxed. They drive in a calm, controlled style, without fuss or flourish, progressing smooth and unobtrusively. They will always be in the right place on the road, travelling at the right speed with the right gear engaged and he achieves this desirable state by concentrating all the time, planning ahead and driving systematically. 😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

23 years and 350,000 miles of driving experience with no insurance claims, so far.

[crosses fingers]

Onzadog
    Free Member

being able to do eveyone elses observations and thinking for them before they do. Therefore being able to deal with other peoples mistakes without any sudden changes in speed and/or direction.

Drac

23 years and 350,000 miles of driving experience with no insurance claims, so far.

That don't make you a good driver.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

When we were on the move I would give them a 3 second head start on telling me about a hazard before I would tell them about it. The universal reaction would be "shit there's a lot to see", "yip".

Scanning 😉

Accident record is one indicator but I've seen plenty of people who'd driven for XXX years with no accidents.. "they all happen behind me" was what one bloke said!

I love the "quiet efficiency" idea. Which page of Roadcraft Drac? 😉

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Exactly what Drac said, plus excellent awareness and anticipation so that nothing is a surprise.

Also, driving in a manner that your passengers feel comfortable with

Smee
    Free Member

Another game would be, near, far or moving – I would choose a word based on what was going on and they would need to tell me what the respective hazard was.

Quality games these.

hora
    Free Member

Does to me. Plus, hes not a pompous 'look at me' with his Cubs badge on the front of his car. Ive seen a fair few of those- driven far too within the conditions. 🙄

GrahamS

I'm a good driver: just drove 170 odd miles through what the radio described as "treacharous conditions", on top of the 150 odd I did yesterday in similar, and no one died or was injured as a result of my driving – that's good enough for me 😀

jon1973
    Free Member

What skills etc make a good driver?

The ability to drive faster than anyone else.

Drac

I love the "quiet efficiency" idea. Which page of Roadcraft Drac?

Well spotted I'd have to hunt it out, took me long enough to remember the words correct it and make politically correct. It was near the front if I remember, it's been almost 18 years.

Smee
    Free Member

So what did you crash into but not put though your insurance?

samuri
    Free Member

The ability to drive a car which does have ABS and TC and EPS turned on, but not have the ABS and TC and EPS lights flashing.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"That don't make you a good driver. "

I wasn't willy waving and I do commit errors! But I'm proud of my crash-free driving record although I accept I could just be very very lucky.

A trick I've always used is keeping plenty of reaction time between me and anything I might hit e.g. the car in front, bends, junctions etc.

The black ice around here has been interesting. Two bits of road looking clear, one offering full grip, the other almost none. I had a "moment" today but managed to gently regain grip before the mini-roundabout – kinda fun!

stratobiker
    Free Member

I'm a terrible passenger. I hate being driven.
    If I can fall asleep while someone is driving. They gotta be good.

There's only two people in this world that I've been able to do that with.

Mrs Stratobiker is one of them.

hora
    Free Member

Stratobiker, binners will atest that my driving is soo leisurely that you'll go back in time. I must be your third if you ever get into the car with me 😉

julianwilson
    Free Member

Humility? 😕

thomthumb
    Free Member

sign of a good driver is that they never surprise or startle other drivers. i like to think that when i drive every move is entirley predictable and expected.

before anyone points it out, yes, this could also apply to bad driving.

hora
    Free Member

I wave my private parts at your IAM qualification and fart in your general direction 😆

Suggsey
    Free Member

Love to read the quotes from the 'bible' Drac. For me being trained to the level of an advanced services driver is as good as it gets (unless you are fortunate enough to get a trainers course).
    Used to think I was a 'really good driver' till I did my advanced-now I know I am, but even safer and smoother with it with advanced scanning skills to go with the car control skills.

Drac

Yeah it does help a lot with driving Suggsey, I've been trying for the last few years to become an instructor but there not interested in training their own staff.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Interesting thread this,I have been delivering Christmas presents in the North lakes all day.(Courier)Its been a mad week.

After the last few days of heavy snow, its been a nightmare getting the van up some pretty severe inclines and along the back lanes with no salt or grit on them (rwd).

On several occasions i have had to overtake slower cars "mincing" up or down gradients in cough, "dodgy" situations, when if I had too match there speed I would have not had the momentum and eventually grip to get up the climb.

On a couple of occasions i got a flash of lights and horn, with my aggresive approach to the situation.

It does feel wrong at the time and could be described as "bad driving"

Ultimatly all the deliverys got done,(Including Seathwaite farm!Borrowdale) all the kids will be happy,but my van has two broken wing mirrors!!

A good driver imho pulls over to let quicker vehicles through and has anticipated this by "using the mirrors".

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

There is all types of driving conditions… city driving is probably the hardest due to the cut throat antics of other drivers.. congestion.. blind spots and them f…ing bicycles and mopeds – scooters…. I think the best drivers drive hearses..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘What is your idea of a good driver?’ is closed to new replies.