Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • What is your central heating thermostat set at?
  • iain1775
    Free Member

Mines off, all windows and doors open and at night when i have to lock the doors I always keep the freezer door open to cool things down further, I ride fully rigid and singlespeed, in fact my bike only has one crank arm to make things harder

TiRed

18 by day – from October onwards
    Off by night
    Oh and I use a 3.5 Tog duvet and sleep in nothing but Dorma

To be honest, I find it annoying that I can’t buy a dual thermostat for the central heating to set different thresholds during the day. Our underfloor heating has this (although it’s off most of the time!)

grantway
    Free Member

I just keep mine on lowest setting
    and the boiler is on constant 24/7

zokes
    Free Member

26C, but then we’re talking air conditioning here…

trail_rat
    Free Member

“partially ‘cos I’m tight, but also because I grew up in a house without central heating, and I just got used to doing this in winter.”

Snap i grew up with a coal fire

How ever my girlfriend insists on just sticking the heating on instead of using the fire or wearing warm clothes

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I aim for 19. It’s a compromise as I am comfy sitting around in a t shirt, while she also needs to wear a jumper to not feel cold.

And I thought women were supposed to have more body fat?

alpin
    Free Member

we’ve got underfloor heating (which is nice). it’s currently on “3” (prob 17°C), but i need to keep an eye on it as the GF keeps putting it on “6” (max setting) when i’m out.

we only have it on in the lounge and keep the door closed. it is a new build with quality german windows so draughts aren’t a problem.

as with many others, i can sit in a t-shirt and feel warm whereas the GF will sit there wearing five layers, a pair of wooly slippers and a blanket.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

We are hard as nails at Moonter Towers. The central heating broke down about twenty years ago. It cost a fortune to run and was hopelessly inefficient. We have an AGA and a couple of big wood burning stoves. If it gets cold, we put on an extra jumper. Have you ever seen a sheep shiver?

alpin
    Free Member

it snowed here in munich on wednesday… didn’t settle.

massive frost at 7 this morning…. brrr….

and i was wearing shorts on the bike.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Our’s stays the same all year, it’s profiled to 18 early evening, 19 from 9pm, then 10 starting at 11:30pm until 5pm. Never changes because during the summer the average temp in the house doesn’t drop far enough to trigger it. Any hotter than 19 and it’s too hot, except during mid winter when there’s enough of a delta-T from floor to ceiling to nudge it up to 20.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’m in Corfu at the minute so don’t really need heating, although back home the stat will be set to 16 with the normal 4-5 hours a day of hopefully stopping everything turning to ice. I’m back at work on Wednesday so I have no doubt the GF will crank it up to 1 million for a fortnight unti I get back. I reckon what we really need are two daughter threads – how “accurate is your thermostat” and “what heating tactics for a cost effective winter”

iain1775
    Free Member

Have you ever seen a sheep shiver?

Yes but thats a different story and nothing to do with it being cold 😕

Edukator
    Free Member

My thermostat isn’t connected to a central heating system but still works and reads 1.5°C too hot. I’ll bin it when the batteries go flat.

Madame is far more sensitive than any thermostat and takes into account the combination of temperature and humidity. Low humidity and 19°C at present so she hasn’t uttered “Can you light the stove please?”

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘What is your central heating thermostat set at?’ is closed to new replies.