Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What is with magpies and hard shoulders?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Why do magpies hand around on motorway hard shoulders?

I can’t imagine they are an oasis of titbits.

Oh and has anybody noticed that more and more magpies are affected by albino patches?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They eat deads things. Cars kill stuff. That’s about it. 🙂

GrahamS

It can be a bugger to keep saluting while driving.

carbon337
    Free Member

I think they’re fairly cool along with crows. Intelligent birds IMO. Watch how they aren’t fazed by cars and just hop out of the way of danger.

yunki
    Free Member

there’s a magpie as big as a hen that lives in the trees at the end of our garden.. he got that way from eating all the eggs and chicks from the other nesting birds down there..
    I should have shot him in the spring really.. but I had a fanciful notion of taming him seeing as he hadn’t found a mate.. I only got as far as clucking at him however.. and didn’t bother putting out food or anything..

anyhow.. I woke up to him tapping very forcefully on our bedrom window one morning last month after he got into a big argument with a squirrel.. he hasn’t done it since

that’s the end of my tale..

hope it helps

nickjb
    Free Member

Watch how they aren’t fazed by cars and just hop out of the way of danger.

I met a crane driver who said he squashed a lot of crows. He drove straddling the hard shoulder so they would see him approach, hop over the line as normal and get squished.

Harry_the_Spider

Yunki, I was there with a brew and some Hobnobs waiting for your magnum opus… sadly your tale faded towards the end.

If the magpie had broken the window and stolen your car keys it would have been a great ending.

yunki
    Free Member

sorry Harry..

I was going to make something up about how he became a firm family friend and saved my kids from a bear and taught them to read but Mrs Yunki is mithering at me that she needs to use the computer for work or some such trifle..

Pyro

Your missus makes trifle with the computer?

How rare…

Harry_the_Spider

…and the magpie was stealing the recipie.

That whole magpie / catering thing.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Wouldn’t mind taking Jenny Hanley up the hard shoulder…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What is with magpies and hard shoulders?’ is closed to new replies.