Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • What is TTIP? And six reasons why the answer should scare you
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

The more I hear about TTIP the more I don’t like it. It just seems to be a way for US global corporations to circumnavigate sensible UK and EU laws. The only people it will benefit are a few billionaires in US and Europe. At the expense and health of normal people and smaller businesses. What worries me most is there seems no way to vote against it.

Article in Independent news paper

oldnpastit

Explain….

scaredypants

We’ve had a couple of threads before on it

It stalled a bit last year but I’ve little doubt it’ll happen

As you suggest, we’re being sold down the river

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

At first impressions it seems like a good idea. Companies either side of the pond can trade across the pond without incuring taxes etc.

The problem comes when you get into the detail. Firstly US labour costs are much lower (due to no holiday pay, maturity leave, working horrific hours etc. etc.) so they can undercut European companies. The European companies cannot compete because of the sensible labour laws that people have fought, voted and in some cases died for.
    Secondly existing legislation can be overuled and new legislation reject on the grounds that it “harms trade”. These laws tend to be things like don’t use stuff that kills people in baby food.

The whole thing is going to be regulated by some sort of overarching regulatory board. The board is made up largely of the big companies pushing for TTIP.None of it seems very good for us, European, or indeed workers in the US.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘What is TTIP? And six reasons why the answer should scare you’ is closed to new replies.