Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • What is the ugliest new car currently on sale?
  • shermer75
    Free Member

The white car in the second photo sharkattack posted really doesn’t count as its a funny car drag racer, a very stretched and modified fibreglass body over a tube chassis. It isn’t supposed to be pretty, it’s only streamlining while going like buggery!

I think he’s just saying that’s what the Beemer looks like..

convert

Odd thing aesthetic interpretation – we are all different.

The Citron eggbox C4 and the Fiat Multipla I too think were a work of urban car design genius. Maybe too left field for some. There are plenty of others there that I don’t mind either.

It’s the sort of horror show the second Ssangyong is indulging in that I can’t abide. The Citroen DS3 does it too.

Messing with the beltline is a big no no for me.

matt_outandabout

convert

Oh, yes that Matt, that is an abomination – forgot about that. What the regular mini was really missing was the rear head room being stoved in.

matt_outandabout

DezB
    Free Member

Odd thing aesthetic interpretation – we are all different.

And the stating the utterly bleedin obvious award goes to…

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve defended two Prius models but the latest one made me wince driving behind one last week.

Northwind

I think matt_outandabout’s BMW looks alright- it’s like a fat datsun 240. A fatsun.

convert

And the stating the utterly bleedin obvious award goes to…

Actually it isn’t Mr Smartypants. Well, it should be but it isn’t. Lots of research out there indicates we (humans) have an unrealistic expectation that others share our own aesthetic viewpoint. Designer aesthetic decentreing is a learned skill.

Superficial
    Free Member

Some of the big expensive cars are almost funny. That Bentayga is a prime example, but the X6 and GLA are similarly guilty. It’s almost like the cars have a personality and are acknowledging their ugliness but sneering at you all you the same.

“Yeah, I’ve got a bulbous nose and a giant arse but guess what? I am considerably richer than yaaw. <Vroom, pollute, trample> “

Whereas the Juke is just a car for people who want their cheap pointlessly-jacked hatchback to look awful. So that’s worse IMO.

Not really an aesthetic thing per se, but there is a special place in hell reserved for those who stick M badges on their (leased) 320d.

unovolo
    Free Member

I give you the new Toyota Prius

stevied
    Free Member

Gunz
    Free Member

I’m sure it’s confirmation bias but everyone I’ve seen driving an X6 has looked like an ar####le.

LMT
    Free Member

The cactus in the right colour looks ok, my neighbour has one in black with red trim and the bumps are black looks pretty mean looking, he has changed the wheels.

I also own a DS3 and think its quirky, although hate the new one with the new lights and no citroen branding.

I hate the Fiat 500xl its been hit with a big ugly stick.

Notter
    Free Member

I don’t think they are manufatured anymore but for a company with such iconic cars in their history Lancia should be asahmed for this!

martinhutch

Mini Countryman. Phonetically appropriate at least.

But this for ugliness to £ ratio must be close to the top.

The Evoque is pretty bad though. Like a proper Range Rover that’s been hit by a piledriver.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Citroen Cactus is properly awful. And why is it called a cactus?

Because with a real cactus the pricks are on the outside.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Wow, I was going to vote for my own car (pictured below) but its not as bad as some of the others on this thread:

Northwind

Ford and their grills. Someone loved this game as a child

ocrider

Wilco1999, It’s got nothing on any of the more ostentatious design exercises in fugliness that the Germans excel in at the moment.
    It’s a Ford, it’s just average and fairly anonymous.

timmys

Agree with a lot of the above.

There’s a Merc GLE parked near me and the hideousness of it is hard to comprehend.
    I also find the BMW X6 and any of the “GT’ed” models horrible, horrible.

I have special hatred for white Evoques, but that’s probably more about the people that buy them then the actual car (obviously that’s doubled up for the convertible Evoque).

Shergie
    Free Member

Ho has no one mentioned the Nissan Juke?

Bregante

Because they have.

iainc

^^^^ yeah, on the first page..

the X4/5/6 BMW’s are vile IMO.

We were at a dealer the other week and I looked in the boot of an X6 – the lip above the bumper was way above waist height – wholly impractical !

birky
    Free Member

Ford Ecosport

alanf
    Free Member

The majority of new Mercs are hideous. They have the look of a shitting dog, the arse end is falling off the lot of em. If I get caught unawares seeing one a little bit of sick comes up…

wilko1999
    Free Member

ocrider – average and fairly anonymous – a car truly is an extension of it’s owner 😀

RustySpanner

Vauxhall Mokka.
    Just offensive from every angle.
    Not even deliberately ugly enough to be interesting.
    Just sad and depressing.

Anything retro that’s just a styling exercise – front engined FIAT 500’s, new Beetles, MINIs etc – ugly from an engineering point of view.

Those new Ford vans (and many, many others) are Doblos with a new nose.
    Not as beautifully, willfully ugly as the first ones, sadly.

🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

It’s not an exhaustive list, and some have been mentioned already but these offend me….

stumpy01

It’s a funny thing, this.

I would much rather see quirky cars on the road that divide opinion than what seems to be the current trend of racing to be the most bland and anodyne for a lot of mainstream cars.
    Focus, Astra, Golf, Leon, A3, A4, mainstream BMWs, most Peugeots – yeah, they can look OK in certain trim levels with some pimped up wheels and perhaps a different bumper but I just find them bland…..

Things like the Nissan Juke; wouldn’t choose them myself, but I like the fact that they are different and have been styled in that way.
    Others that are different, but I quite like; C4 Cactus and most of the Citroen DS range, Kia Soul, Hyundai Veloster etc.
    What do I know though – I quite like the look of our C3 Picasso (even if it is a Citroen) because it’s not just a bland, used bar of soap outline….

I’d agree with comments about the Fiat 500L, the Mini Coupe & the Mini Countryman.
    What annoys me about the Countryman is that if it had a Hyundai badge or similar people would be pointing & laughing at it, but people seem to gravitate towards the Mini badge.

A lot of the current crop of Mercedes are awful – can’t remember the name of it, but there is a C-class sized coupe that looks like they put the clay model near a 4-bar heater, it melted & no one realised….I think it’s the CLA.

philjunior
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    I think matt_outandabout’s BMW looks alright- it’s like a fat datsun 240. A fatsun.

I agree, it’s a stupid car, but it’s not hideously ugly. There do seem to be quite a few genuinely ugly cars, but also a lot of stupid cars being lumped in as ugly.

jimw
    Free Member

+1 for the Evoke. Especially white ones

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nissan Juke. A modern day Allegro.

unovolo
    Free Member

Tried earlier but didn’t work,….I give you the new Toyota Prius

Pieface

Electric / hybrid cars seem to be quite ugly almost by design. I’m thinking –

Vauxhall Ampera
    The BMWs, although the coupe is a bit marmite
    Nissan Leaf

It’s like the car companies only want the most committed people to buy them, or for people to know irrefutably that they’re a hybrid / electric car. The Tesla’s are Ok, but a bit like a swish Vectra given how much they cost

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Also – Impreza and Evo.

Grotesque.

jamj1974

Porsche Macan. Another step in taking the elements of Porsche design and applying them to a completely unsuitable car. A pig in lipstick is not a supermodel – it’s still a pig…

teethgrinder

Those C4 Cactus (Cactii?) in remind me of the latest Nomad.

C4 Cactus

Nomad

maccruiskeen

It’s like the car companies only want the most committed people to buy them, or for people to know irrefutably that they’re a hybrid / electric car.

Its the latter. They’re all following Toyota’s lead. To begin with early models of hybrid cars were all fitting the hybrid gubbins within existing models. The only thing that distinguished a regular from a hybrid car in any manufacturers line up, visually, was a badge. The exception was Toyota. Not only did they make their hybrid car look different to other cars, it didn’t even really look like other Toyotas.

They made sure a car that was different on the inside looked different on the outside. As a result the shape of the Prius pretty much became its own logo and its own brand, and it also became the archetypal hybrid car. People started to use the word ‘Prius’ to mean hybrid in the same way people use ‘iPod’ to mean MP3 player.

Either the consumer wanted to believe that hybrid cars were so different they had to be a different shape – or Hybrid drivers want everyone to know they drive a hybrid.

Certainly for the US market it probably the latter – adopters of green technology really want to let people know about it. Americans are more likely to place solar panels on the side of the house where their neighbours can see them than on the side of the house where the sun shines for instance.

Anyway for Toyota it worked because although the Prius wasn’t alone in the marketplace 9 out 10 hybrids sold were Priuses Priususes Prii?

DezB
    Free Member

Lots of research out there indicates we (humans) have an unrealistic expectation that others share our own aesthetic viewpoint.

Hmm, where’s this research? Genuinely interested in seeing that.
    I’ve always been aware of the phrases: “Each to their own”, “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder” and “De gustibus non est disputandum”, which are contrary to what you say. Can’t recall any that suggest people think others have the same taste.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘What is the ugliest new car currently on sale?’ is closed to new replies.