Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • what is the purpose of this nut? (pic)
  • bomberman
    Free Member

This is my rear hub axle.

The black nut in this photo – is it just to preload the bearings? There’s a silver threaded end cap to go on over the top of this that snugs up to it. The question is should i tighten this one up nice and tight or is it just a bearing preload (similar to a headset top cap)?

It’s a Specialized Hi-Lo rear hub off a set of Roval Fattie aluminium wheels and i can confirm that it’s probably made of cheese.

sq225917
    Free Member

preload. hold wheel by axle ends spin it, tighten nut gently until you feel the bearings then back it off just a touch.

W
    Heaven knows why they put them in hubs that don’t use angular contact bearings, there’s nowt to adjust.

bomberman
    Free Member

It’s a cheap hub and I’ve been hammering it for two winters so it’s probably on its way out. I noticed everything was loose – cassette, end cap and this fella so I took it apart and had a look inside and the pawl design is rubbish just 3 pawls with a flimsy retaining spring to make them move! The spring had actually come unseated and only one pawl was working so I probably got to it just in time. Rubbishy Specialized wheel set with zero online maintenance!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘what is the purpose of this nut? (pic)’ is closed to new replies.