Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • What is the most awesome thing you have seen/witnessed/come across?
  • Hohum
    Free Member

Just asking because the big jet thread had me reminiscing about awesome things I had witnessed.

I still think back to that Vulcan bomber pushing the loud pedal right open at the end of RNAS Yeovilton's runway and going skyward at an impossible angle and making the most amazing noise that I can still feel now! I guess that it is like the echoes of the big bang which astronomers can still hear the echoes of now 😉

And, for the parents out there, childbirth. Been there 3 times now, 2 emergency caesarean sections and one planned one, and NO more.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

An intense thunder storm on acid. That will never leave me. 😯

sharki
    Free Member

Child birth.
    Followed by the birth of horses, calf, sheep, pigs, rabbits, etc.

Been lucky to be too close to a full on Red Deer rut, the re union of red deer post rut and the nurturing of hinds and young.

Little amazes me more than nature.

project
    Free Member

A bus with its front screen broken in the shape of a football,on the other carrigeway and the driver standing there,then running behind the bus.

As i passed the bus i realised that there was somebody lieing on the floor behind the bus, he had just been hit, crossing the road, hit the screen and then been driven over, sadly he was dead.

So much respect for the driver who didnt have a chance of avoiding the chap, and the paramedics who attended.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Firing a 6.5mm rifle and understanding that it had the power to take a person's head off at 100m+.

Or kill a US President.

Another rifle I fired had notches on the barrel. I assumed these were for deer kills. No.

Realising the weapon you're holding had been used to take Human Life is quite humbling and disturbing. Gave me a healthy respect for firearms. Which is why I can appreciate the engineering behind warplanes and weapons, but never 'admire' them.

footflaps

Smurf-Matt 😉

I'll get my coat…..

j_me
    Free Member

Thunderstorm over the Guyanan Rain forrest
    Child birth
    Buccaneer Jet coming within 200 ft of me while I'm 300ft up leading a climb
    Sunset from Ardnamurchan point

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I have seen an awesome UFO… been interested in them ever since.
    I have also seen a ghost,,, proper shat myself…

b1galus
    Free Member

a phantom in max reheat on the cats at night just prior to launch was pretty awesome

loddrik
    Free Member

Being at Universe (a rave) in 1992 having had about 14 ecstasy tablets over 8 hours. Simply incredible!!

ton

watching my kids being born…………awesome and very scary.

locomotive

Two things that I would love to be able to see again and make sense off…

A entangled dead snake/bird – looked like they had died in battle. I was about 10 and when I went and told my Dad I was told to 'stop making things up' and 20+ years later Im still mildly annoyed about it

In the Wintergardens in Bournemouth I saw an old mans hat blow off in a sudden strong gust of wind, and underneath there was another near identical hat. He barely flinched. It was like a Vic and Bob sketch, only real. I think.

locomotive

Loddrik – Im surprised you're not still dancing!

tiggs121
    Free Member

Watching my wife die – bad – watching my daughter watching her mother die – horrific!

loddrik
    Free Member

The end of big brother.

Oh hang on…….

djglover
    Free Member

Surf Mat, without a doubt

loddrik
    Free Member

Tiggs, tragic in the extreme, but awesome….?

Jeez tiggs 🙁

skidartist
    Free Member

Child birth.
    Followed by the birth of horses, calf, sheep, pigs, rabbits, etc.

Busy night for the midwife!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Tiggs, tragic in the extreme, but awesome….?

Jeeze have a heart mate.

Hohum
    Free Member

loddrik – Member
    Being at Universe (a rave) in 1992 having had about 14 ecstasy tablets over 8 hours. Simply incredible!!

They were proper tabs at that time.

Which Universe did you go to? I did not make any of them, but I do remember hearing the music from one in Wales with Sasha DJing.

ton – Member
    watching my kids being born…………awesome and very scary.

Agreed mate.

What a roller coaster of emotions you go through at the time.

Thank God we aren't women as it must be UNBELIEVABLE for them!

loco motive – Member
    In the Wintergardens in Bournemouth I saw an old mans hat blow off in a sudden strong gust of wind, and underneath there was another near identical hat. He barely flinched. It was like a Vic and Bob sketch, only real. I think.

Aye, very Vic and Bob and also very AWESOME 😀

iDave
    Free Member

watching someone i coached winning an olympic medal when top ten would have been fantastic

djglover
    Free Member

I found that it was like eating cake or drinking beer, the first 2 or 3 are good, but after that its just greedy. Often reached nearly double figures as they could be moorish

Northwind

Portaloos exploding and firing themselves 30 feet in the air under the power of their igniting poo. You probably had to be there.

loddrik
    Free Member

If I remember rightly is was the mind body and soul event. **** me they were the days!!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

A ray of sunlight I once saw. It was through the window of a croft on Ardnamurchan, near the lighthouse. It sounds quite ordinary, but it wasn't. Can't explain it.

Hohum
    Free Member

tiggs121 – Member
    Watching my wife die – bad – watching my daughter watching her mother die – horrific!

Yes, that is shit 🙁

I found that it was like eating cake or drinking beer, the first 2 or 3 are good, but after that its just greedy. Often reached nearly double figures as they could be moorish

In 1992 if you 'needed' more than 2 or 3 for an all nighter, then you were going to the wrong dealer.

Had a 'sampler' of a Double Barrelled New Yorker off my man in Doncaster Warehouse (BYO) which was toned down for subsequent weeks. When I handed over my £15 he told me I'd be absolutely f***ed for 2 hours, then up and dancing for the next 10. I didn't believe him, but he was telling the truth. What a night!

user-removed
    Free Member

Love the hat story loco 🙂

I was out riding the old railway track out of Aberdeen. It started properly lashing down – the drops were actually a bit painful 😯 Soaked through within literally seconds, I thought I might as well continue – couldn't get any wetter…

Got to the Maryculter bridge which had a good two inches of water flowing down it and started crossing. Suddenly, lightning hit the far end of the bridge and the whole surface of the road lit up as I was doing full tilt down the bank. The hair on my head stood up and I hollered like a loon – more with exhilaration than fear. Awesome!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Thing is, only so much of the drug's active ingredient could be absorbed and have any effect, the rest would just pass though the system. Like Vitamin C. I remember mates doing multiple Acid tabs; just a waste of LSD and money in reality.

Bit like using dynamite to blow a door off; it's no more 'off' if you used 1lb or 100lbs of TNT.

I didn't believe him, but he was telling the truth.

How that rings true for some of my own experiences! 😯

'Here you go Elf, have that; it'll blow your mind.'

'What that little tiny speck of paper?'

(2 hours later)

'I believe!' 😀

loddrik
    Free Member

Who ever said it was about how much you 'needed', I can assure you we had the best up here but the things were moreish and once you are off why stop…?

loddrik
    Free Member

Still taken aback by Tiggs' post….

U31
    Free Member

If I remember rightly is was the mind body and soul event. **** me they were the days!!

That wasn't the one in the Valley at the base of Snowdon, Paul Island did the promotion?
    By god i was proper **** that weekend, straight from Wigan Pier's friday night D.A.D., in to a a convoy trying to find the place, and i had 2 of the DJ's in the mini and another DJ in his own mini behind me, so no pressure…
    Then a bunch of new age travellers rocked up and started juggling fire…
    And to top it all i went for a walk up the valley in the pitch dark.. and saw a bunch of "rocks" get up and run away… they were only friggin' mint sauce and his best mates, but the state i was in it took ages to work it out!

Hohum
    Free Member

loddrik – Member
    Who ever said it was about how much you 'needed', I can assure you we had the best up here but the things were moreish and once you are off why stop…?

Back in those days the limiting factor was what you could afford though wasn't it?

Only had a few, but they were still hit and miss. Still cost the same the same if they were a dud though, pffft!

j_me
    Free Member

Still taken aback by Tiggs' post….

Likewise!!!!

Trampus
    Free Member

Tiggs, you are not alone in your experience. It fully meets the 'traditional' bowel quaking meaning of awesome!

Nowadays, the word has become debased slang, so I can see where Loddrik was coming from and agree with him, too.

Hohum
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    'Here you go Elf, have that; it'll blow your mind.'

'What that little tiny speck of paper?'

(2 hours later)

'I believe!'

Been there and worn the T-shirt.

Silly Ho hum took another one after 45 minutes because nothing was happening…

marty
    Free Member

seeing this emerging from a spot that I'd wandered past / over loads of times.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Watching Vulcan XM610 go over our school in January 1971, on fire & crashing at Wingate in Co Durham. Didn't actually see it impact.
    Fast fwd to the queens silver jubilee airshow at Finningley, 1977 & watching (& being deafened by) a 4 Vulcan scramble.
    Both awesome.
    Firing a Heckler & Koch 9mm sub machine gun, a 9mm H&k pistol & an Accuracy International .243 rifle on the same day, without being in the armed forces or the police!

loddrik
    Free Member

No was definitely down south but I can't remember where as I wasn't driving.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘What is the most awesome thing you have seen/witnessed/come across?’ is closed to new replies.