Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What is the going rate for a 14yr old labourer?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

Got some basic chores (mainly painting exterior walls) that need doing and our neighbours son is a likely candidate to do it. We live ruralish, I’ll obviously pay him cash. What’s considered the going rate?

dannybgoode

A shilling a day? Seems about fair…

argyle
    Free Member

he’s learning. you can’t put a price on education

z1ppy

shirely it whatever his parent can afford, after all you getting him out from under foot (baby/teen sitting)

ps. min wage or there abouts?

taxi25
    Free Member

£5 an hour is what I’d be looking to pay.

Jamie
    Free Member

Don’t pay by the hour, as he will just drag it out.

…maybe even consider getting several quotes from other youths in the area.

allthepies
    Free Member

A promise not to clip him around the ear.

Sui
    Free Member

what are you prepared to pay is the question to ask, then ask him what he would do a certain job for. Don’t pay by the hour everyone knows that labour types are lazy.. 😉

Markie
    Free Member

£5 per hour here for child labour – shovelling muck, mowing lawns, painting fences, baby sitting, etc.

binners

A can of fizzy pop and a packet of crisps a day

spacemonkey

Don’t pay by the hour, as he will just drag it out.

^^^^
    THIS

A friend’s son, who himself is a a very cool lad with enormous get up and go, did some gardening/clearing/digging for us a while back. He wanted the money and we didn’t have the time. Turns out we could have paid a badger to do a better/speedier job. Lesson learned.

soobalias
    Free Member

unsupervised work – piece rate
    if you are going to be there cracking the whip – hourly rate

at 14, £5/hr, cash, paid at the end of the week. if you pay daily, you will find that £40 is enough spending money to prevent the average 14yo bothering to work again that week.

mt
    Free Member

Clip round the earole and thanks for it.

YoGrant
    Free Member

He can’t work more than 25hrs a week anyway at 14 during hols (and max 5 hrs a day)

sandwicheater

Penguin bar (out of date by at least a year) and very very strong orange squash seemed to be my payment as a wee boy.

footflaps

Spare the rod and spoil the child.

He’ll need several lashes per hour, say 5?

Duffer
    Free Member

£5 an hour?! You could hire a graduate for that money! By the end of the summer he’ll have his own tax code!

I remember getting £5 a day, if i’d been grafting!

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I was thinking along the lines of 15/ day. I occasionally have an adult laborer in, he’s a bit of a Muppet but keeps going. I pay him 60/ day.

Junkyard
    Free Member

under 18 minimum wage is £3.68 apprentice rate £ 2.65

£3 if cash in hand so £15 if they do 5 hour days
    £20 at least if a full day

taxi25
    Free Member

I’d never pay the minimum wage. All that says is their worth the minimum.
    Pay properly but expect a proper job.

rickt
    Free Member

Just make sure he does his tax return and your liability insurance has been renewed. 😀

nealglover
    Free Member

…I’ll obviously pay him cash.

Do you mean rather than take him on a contract and put it through PAYE with a Tax Code and pay his National Insurance contributions etc 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

All that says is their worth the minimum

I am sure the 14 year old has exceptional transferable skills and is indeed a highly skilled operative in the world of work and exterior wall painting in particular- perhaps they can show you their portfolio of work and certificates 😛

unklehomered
    Free Member

Anyone else keep reading the thread title as

What is the going rate for a 14yr old labrador?

?

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Incentive based pay. I work with kids and they need clear incentives. As pointed out hourly alone wont cut it. They will likely get bored and string it out. Kids need to know why they are doing something and what it is worth.

Set clear objectives of what you want done with standards he agrees and understands. Then dangle the carrot that if it is done in slow time, he gets x, normal time x+1, quick time x+2′ etc. Then the promise of more work if he is up to scratch. Simple management really but so often overlooked with disappointing consequences.

Edukator
    Free Member

A hefty fine if you live in France which sensibly has banned child labour.

Junkyard
    Free Member

so they are work shy from an early age no doubt 😉
    Can they still strike though?

footflaps

A hefty fine if you live in France which sensibly has banned child labour.

I don’t agree with that at all. I worked as a child, through choice, and it provides a good introduction to work, responsibility, money etc. From starting with a paper round / random work, I ended up earning £1000s per annum in my teens writing computer software in the evening after school (back in the 80s). Gave me a huge advantage when it came to getting a job as I’d already had a CV full of work and referees before I was 16. You could even buy computer books I’d written in the local book shop.

Edric64
    Free Member

My child labourer has cried off from working tomorrow as he needs more practice window cleaning at home first .I think its got more to do with cycling 5 miles to meet me for work in the morning .(son 13 years 10 months )

Edukator
    Free Member

That all sounds legal and fine, Footflaps. I can’t see working black with no insurance and chemicals being legal even in the UK though.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What is the going rate for a 14yr old labourer?’ is closed to new replies.