Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • What is the best tubeless tyre juice
  • roughneck
    Free Member

Just run out of Stans. Is there any better out there?

njee20
    Free Member

Some people swear by Joe's, Stan's for me.

Jamie
    Free Member

If Stans has been working for you then just stick with it. Personally I use JRA wheelmilk as it was the first one I bought so just get it out of habit…..oh and it has worked fine over the last 3 years.

njee20
    Free Member

I found wheel milk dried out stupidly fast, within a couple of weeks.

DezB
    Free Member

As njee20 said. I found Geax stuff to be the best by a long way. Too expnsive though. Bontrager is good in Bontrager tyres (despite what people say). Stuff I bought off Ebay was a bargain and worked, but it coated the tyre when it dried and took ages to peel off!
    I'll probably go Stans next, as found that to be good, fairly long-lasting (unless I can find the Geax cheap again).

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I've just moved to Joe's no flats after using wheel milk for years. Its nearly twice the price, but it definitely seals better and doesn't dry for ages, meaning less faffage topping up and it actually works out about the same spend as wheel milk in the longer term, since I'm using less as it doesn't dry for ages.

uplink
    Free Member

Joe's or Stan's seem to be as good as each other

JRA wheel milk [as others have said] just dries up stupidly fast

stumpy01

Whatever you do – don't get the Specialized AirLock sealant. I tried some as it was all my lbs had and I was impatient. It was cak.
    It's like a snotty gunk that doesn't actually run around the tyre, just forms gloopy blobs inside (unless I got a really old bottle that was on the way out)…..

clubber
    Free Member

Is it worth adding anything (like glitter) to the standard Joe's/Stan's mixes?

Northwind

Effetto Caffe Latex is supposed to make it easier to seal up the tyre, which is a big plus for some people, but gets bad reports on how well it deals with punctures. Stans for me but then I've never tried anything else, Stans just works and is easy to find.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Joes has already got some kind of particulate in it. I'm guessing this is why it seals better than wheel milk.

13thfloormonk

There's loads on this topic on MTBR, the consensus seemed to be that glitter didn't do any good.

I didn't think Joe's had any bits in it, as such I just got little jets of sealant spurting out and not actually sealing anything…

No-one tried the Caffe-Latex?

Edit: Too slow!

Jamie
    Free Member

Hmmm….going on the above maybe time to change from JRA stuff….even tho *jinx* I have not had any punctures with it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I only found the stuff in Joe's when I was decanting it out of a tyre I was changing.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

The LBS who built my bike used the Specialized sealant and the rear tyre in the beginning would loose pressure, however that soon settled down and my pressure seems to be staying constant, not added any air after the last couple of rides as I am experimenting to how low I can run them at before I get any burping.

Sam

I'm quite liking the caffelatex so far but it doesn't seem to deal well with larger punctures/cuts. Doesn't dry out too quickly though and definitely deals well with smaller punctures. Probably the most mess free system for getting stuff in the tyre as well.

stumpy01

flippinheckler – Member
    The LBS who built my bike used the Specialized sealant and the rear tyre in the beginning would loose pressure, however that soon settled down and my pressure seems to be staying constant, not added any air after the last couple of rides as I am experimenting to how low I can run them at before I get any burping.

Would be interested to know what the consistency of this was like. The stuff I have got is of a similar consistency to the stuff that comes out of your nose when you have a real bunged up cold. It all clogged into blobs and didn't spread around the tyre……whereas the Stan's I swapped it for you can actually hear sloshing around.

foxyrider
    Free Member

yeh Stumpy – maybe its gone off as that doesn't sound right 🙁

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Would be interested to know what the consistency of this was like.

I had to change the front tyre around as the bike shop put it in the wrong ways so I lost some glup then and when the valve inserts came out when pumping them up as they weren't on tight enough, anyway it was white and very gluppy and was as you described in big globues, I assumed it needed to be like that to plug any punctures and seal, I also assumed that the motion of the wheels would separate and even out the substance, as I said all seems ok.

DezB
    Free Member

It all clogged into blobs and didn't spread around the tyre.

Some of the solutions react when in contact with water – eg. the Hutchinson's stuff. My mate used washing up liquid to seal the bead and the Hutchinson's gunk went all lumpy and had to be chucked.

stumpy01

flippinheckler – the stuff I got had a greeny-tinge to it. It was quite a way off white.

DezB – I did wonder if this was the case, so made sure that the tyre & rim was dry then I put the sealant in. I didn't need any washing-up liquid solution to get the beads to sit OK & seal so don't think that water was a problem.

Perhaps I got an old bottle of it……anyway, using Stan's now that seems to work well so will probably stick with that instead.

giantjason
    Free Member

another vote for stans but as said elsewhere the micro-particles turn into an alien like blob when left for a long period of time.

singletracksurfer

where is the best (cheapest) place to get Mr Stan's juice?

snakebite
    Free Member

Had bonty on one bike and stans on the other, Bonty seemed to dry out quicker. Both on Stans now, and quite happy with it!

njee20
    Free Member

The Spesh sealant is quite greeny, snot coloured in fact, and has a similar consistency, as you say. It's rubbish!

I've got some Rapid Racer stuff which looks very similar, not got around to trying it yet, but I suspect it's not all that great!

stayhigh

I've been using Joe's for about 6 months since I ran out of JRA wheel milk. The Joe's fluid does contains small granules however they tend to settle at the bottom of the bottle so you need to shake it vigorously before using.

When I took my tyres of to get my wheel trued I used a syringe to get all the fluid out to see how much was left. I used 120ml of fluid when I fitted the tyre and there was around 90ml of fluid left. There was also a thorn still stuck in the tyre but no loss of pressure.

Gets my vote 🙂

busydog
    Free Member

Can you guys get Slime in the UK? The original product was for use in inner-tubes, but they now make a product for use in tubeless. I have had it in the tires for almost 6 months and it is still fluid and no punctures.
    I had used Stan's for the last few years with no issues except I recently swapped my tires for new ones and put my old ones on my wife's bike. It doesn't have tubeless rims, so had to use tubes. Getting the old, dried Stan's off the inside of the tires was a task.

singletracksurfer

can you use slime meant for inner tubes in tubeless tyres?

yesiamtom
    Free Member

inner tube slime + modelling latex + windscreen washer fluid/water + glitter is the standard ghetto method. I usualyl do 33/33/33 and a small tub of glitter from tescos etc in when i did it.

Just got some stans stuff off ebay cheap and used that. Seems ace but not ridden it yet.

Fletcher
    Free Member

I've ran Bontrager super juice, for a couple of years (No punctures!) just got some new tubeless nobby nic's that I am trying with Stan's no tubes.

scaredypants

Somebody (dezb ?) suggested geax to me, so I use that. Seems good enough to me. Bit over a tenner for about 2-3 wheels worht

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Getting the old, dried Stan's off the inside of the tires was a task.

Why would you need to do this to put inner tubes in?

busydog
    Free Member

Not sure I really had to, but LBS mechanic recommended doing so—in retrospect, not sure what difference it would make unless leaving it in the tire might create wear/abrasion on the tube.

Singletracksurfer–I don't think the Slime for tubes works for tubeless–different formula/consistency, but I didn't try it.

Northwind

Scienceofficer – Member

"Why would you need to do this to put inner tubes in?"

I do this when I remove a tyre, not sure I have to, it's just quite satisfying to do :mrgreen: And must save entire grams.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘What is the best tubeless tyre juice’ is closed to new replies.