• This topic has 102 replies, 77 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • What is the best love song ever?
  • mrsflash
    Free Member
    Caher

sexual healing – marvin gaye
    Je t'aime… moi non plus Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg

vd

Chanson des vieux amants – Brel Never heard an english translation but the french is lovely.

Martha – Tom Waits
    Downriver – David Ackles

The last two very much of a piece. Done time, come back, gentle question – Oh you're married – No, just getting back in touch for old time's sake

jahwomble
    Free Member

oooh and Richard Thompson" 1952 Vincent Black Lightning"

theotherjonv

Does a love song have to be about shared love?

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/billy+bragg/the+saturday+boy_20018155.html

souldrummer
    Free Member

Devonside – Richard Thompson
    Died for Love – Richard Thompson
    How will I ever be simple again – Richard Thompson
    Waltzing for Dreamers – Richard Thompson

I do own music by other people in case I come over as a too much of a RT fan!!

richmars

Never considered "1953 Vincent Blak Lightning" was a love song but thinking about it that's a pretty good choice.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Something Changed by Pulp, or Can't Stop Lovin You by Leo Sayer.

Also, Orchard Road by the little curly-haired disco god is a belter… And what about Moonlighting? Surely the only ever mention of the Carlisle turn off on the M6 motorway in a song…

Correct me if I'm wrong.

DezB
    Free Member

You're wrong (about Leo). Leo Sayer is the shittiest artist ever to record a song.
    Sorry, but you did ask and I can't f&*%ing stand him!

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Leo Sayer = Genius.

End of chat. ;o)

DezB
    Free Member

Serious??? Out of all the music recorded in the history of the world, you have time to listen to that?
    Bizarre. Utterly bizarre.
    I'll leave it there! 🙂

Shibboleth
    Free Member

As I said, Can't Stop Loving You is one of the finest pop/love songs written. Orchard Road one of the most moving, plaintive and utterly heart-rending narratives on the aftermath of an affair.

Then you've got the likes of When I Need You, Heart Stop Beating in Time etc… He may be considered a bit kitch (no doubt thanks to things like Long Tall Glasses and One Man Band) but I genuinely think he produced some brilliant love songs.

And what about disco classics like Thunder in My Heart and You Make Me Feel Like Dancing… I tell ya, genius… ;o)

mr.rusty
    Free Member

vd – Just got blasted back in time – to a bedsit in Surbiton overlooking the Thames (well the water treatment works anyway)! Young and in love and all to the voice of David Ackles. Magic. Thanks.

yoda
    Free Member

Well, being a country fan (amongst other things) it would have to be,

George Jones-He stopped loving her today
    Kathy Mattea- Where have you been?
    Marty Robbins- El Paso (guy rides back into certain death and a hail of gunfire to see his girl one more time)all say aaaaaah. 🙄

And, Jim Reeves-I wont forget you,(played at my nans funeral)

theotherjonv

Shibboleth. You are putting me in an impossible position here. On the one hand – Something Changed was my wife and my wedding song, so I have to say you have impeccable taste.

And then, on the other hand………

[edited for self pedantry: Is it correct to say my wife and my wedding song? My wedding song would be correct. My wife's wedding song is correct. Are 'My wife and I' an item such that My wife and I's weddings song ('s for possession, it's our song) is better english? Help!]

hora
    Free Member

Miss you. Everything but the Girl.

I'm having that played at my funeral.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Just go with it Jon, honestly, it's fine… Nothing to be ashamed of… Embrace the Sayer!

noteeth
    Free Member
    CountZero

" if you don't want to **** me baby, baby **** off" by Janye County and the Electric Chairs.

That should be Wayne County & The Electric Chairs. He recorded it before his sex change. I actually saw him at Reading after a very wet week left the area in front of the stage a muddy lake. The Doobie Bros roadies had to cover their kit with plastic sheets to protect it from the hail of mud and bottles that rained down on the hapless Mr County. He managed two songs, the second one the above mentioned, before being forced off the stage. It was a year or two later he became Jayne.

kimbers

im rather fond of snow patrol St fire to the third bar
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfa9yxCpWoA

also like slayer 213

failedengineer

Souldrummer – you forgot 'Beeswing' and 'The woods of darney' I too own some other artists' music.

Firt Girl I Loved – Incredible String Band

Famous Blue Raincoat – Leonard Cohen

Ain't no cure for Love – Leonard Cohen

failedengineer

Richard Thompson's touring in january

IHN

Well, being a country fan (amongst other things) it would have to be,

You forgot:

Nothin' Without You – Steve Earle

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘What is the best love song ever?’ is closed to new replies.