• This topic has 102 replies, 67 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by nols.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • What is the best 4*4 out there?
  • mattbee

rangerbill

RR classic + proper tyres

Hairychested
    Free Member

Any old off road car will have the new computers on wheels for breakfast I reckon. Any of those should be good:
    classic Range Rover
    LR Defender
    Jeep Wrangler
    Jeep Cherokee
    Willys
    UAZ
    Lada Niva basic model
    ARO
    or, for the total hardcore:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EVOH_NIMWQ[/video]

Hairychested
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twu321ZfkmQ&feature=related[/video]

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Our 110 Defender is doing a brilliant job. And XS spec means it’s fairly comfy (for a Defender) too – heated seats, windscreen, aircon, etc.

Trouble is, I keep being asked to help people out – like ferrying 100 litres of heating oil to a stranded mate (her bloke in Afghanistan, she has a 2 year old girl, ran out of oil in the sticks)! Pouring 5 gallons of oil into a tank at head height is REALLY flipping hard!!

Anyway there’s nothing else I’d rather have right now. brilliant for ferrying the bike to rides as well.

And you can stand on the bonnet and look down at poor people… 😉 😀

goldenwonder
    Free Member

My 4×4 of choice:

1995, battered, 223,000 miles & love it to bits.
    Between the family we’ve had RangeRovers of various types, LR 90’s & 110’s, L200, G wagon, M Class, 2.8 & 3.1l Troopers & the Landcruiser beats them all as an all rounder. I bought this three years ago off my parents when they went for a slightly newer version & the only other thing I’d consider would be another Landcruiser.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Wife’s family have had (and have still got) many LCs and while I do like them, they are just too big and thirsty for regular useage.

Plus go to any funfair – most of the vehicles used are LCs. Along with Shoguns, they are just a wee bit pikey 😆

Very good off road, comfy, mostly reliable.

tankslapper
    Free Member

I’ve driven a lot of 4 x 4’s over the years both personally and for work.

The Mitsubishi L200 is a truly awful vehicle unless you fill the pick-up with wood or something heavy

Landrover 90 certainly gets my vote but as the Ozzies say ‘for getting into the Bush you only need two vehicles ones a Landy and the other’s a Land Cruiser to get back out again you’ll only need the Land Cruiser!’

catfood
    Free Member

I saw a Khan Range Rover Sport earlier with a tricked up exhaust on it that actually ran below the level of the spare wheel, leaving the car with about 4 inches of ground clearance, total numptyism, had the worst blingy wheels Ive ever seen, you cant buy it.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Kahn stuff = as classy as an Alsation chained to a stainless steel carvan

Pembo
    Free Member

My wife has a Freelander 1, does everything we need:
    day-to-day commuting
    easy to park
    pulling box and 2 horses

Better check the weight of the box and 2 horses. probably over the towing limit which isn’t a good idea.

tankslapper
    Free Member

catfood – Member
    I saw a Khan Range Rover Sport earlier with a tricked up exhaust on it that actually ran below the level of the spare wheel, leaving the car with about 4 inches of ground clearance, total numptyism, had the worst blingy wheels Ive ever seen, you cant buy it.

Spotted an Orange Kahn Range Rover over a hedge near Welshpool last week….must say I did smirk….a bit

hp_source

Another Defender vote here, and I’ll say a 110 (not that I’m biased!) Doesn’t lose out much to a 90 off road, but the added space is handy.

firestarter
    Free Member

i drove lots of different 4 x 4s and the landcruiser or nissan patrol are the best ive used. infact when in the forces in bosnia when we wanted to do proper offroad we ditched the defenders and used landcruisers as they were so much better

for a little one the jimny is great fun

brassneck

Anyone know who does the conversion to a 110 to put a fold out tent on top?

I’ve seen a few, mostly with Euro tourists and they look great, almost like a camper van with less downsides.. but I’ve yet to see one for sale or up close to see what you actually get (or how much you’d have to pay…)

mattbee

http://www.rooftent.co.uk/

Part of Nene oveland, they sell expedition prepped vehicles too. Am considering a rooftent mounted to a converted Sankey trailer for my Ninety, saves me dragging all the weight around when I don’t need it.

poppa
    Free Member

*cheap troll*

You mean you can use a 4×4 to drive off road?!? Crikey, you people in the country have some funny ideas.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Our mates have a roof tent on theirs (the 110 on the left – ours is on the right):

Just be careful if drunk – easy to forget you’re 6 ft in the air and fall out!

Some come down to the floor level – http://www.trekoverland.com do all sorts of types. Hit the “our products” tab.

brassneck

Ta all, last time I saw one it was in the company of a German couple – the lady appeared to find the walk to the shower block too irksome and just stood under the solar shower in the nip. yet still it’s the tent on top of a Landy I have stuck in my mind 🙂

brassneck

I am now also trying to figure out how I didn’t guess ‘rooftent.co.uk’

😀

Fred
    Free Member

+1 for Freelander 1 TD4, just get the right tyres on it. I was talked into Dueler HT Sports as they were on offer, great when dry but b*****ks in snow. So i’m binning them for something with a more suitable tread pattern.

geoffj

I miss mine 😥

Olly
    Free Member

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Ooh I like both that Defender and that Panda a LOT!

RustyNissanPrairie

Anyone know who does the conversion to a 110 to put a fold out tent on top?

I’ve seen a few, mostly with Euro tourists and they look great, almost like a camper van with less downsides.. but I’ve yet to see one for sale or up close to see what you actually get (or how much you’d have to pay…)

Our 110 with Howling Moon setup;

If the Lanny’s a rockin-dont come knockin

Hairychested
    Free Member

^^^ Cheeky Monkey ^^^

tazzymtb

MONKEY PJ’s…..dear lord 😯

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivlz6jRWmfg&feature=related[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Nfvr4iWeQ&feature=related[/video]

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Disco 4 if you value a luxury interior.

rs
    Free Member

^^^ quite impressive video monkeyfudger

Hairychested
    Free Member

monkeyfudger, it’s a great set but… the OP was talking mud, snow etc not slick rock climbing. Besides, was it the same driver? The same rock? You could put me in the RR and I wouldn’t climb it for toffee, maybe the LR driver wasn’t as good as the other guy?
    IMO for mud etc the simpler the better.

fisha
    Free Member

Driven a fair amount of 4×4’s, predominantly land rovers, some stock spec, some kitted up for off roading. Already said it recently on here, but the one thats impressed me most in its handling of the current conditions is the current style range rover. Its traction control, stability control and abs systems have made it consistently better at maintaining grip in the ice and snow than any of the others i’ve driven.

But, as already said, it all pales into minority compared to the person behind the wheel and how they drive the thing.

My old boss used to have a ford ranger pickup that we used for festival work and another company I worked for had a mitsi l200 and a navara and they were great in all sorts of conditions. We used the things on Glastonbury even when it was super super muddy and that is a real test with mud axle deep! I took it over old Mac road in the peaks which is seriously rocky and it made it! It was even fine in the snow when we worked in Winter! Those kind of things are a lot cheaper than a defender and I reckon that unless your doing some serious off road enthusiast type stuff then a pickup or a generic off roader would be fine?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

It’s the same hill, somewhere in South Africa if I remember correctly, seem ’em ages ago and thought they proved a good point.

Did you see the Range Rover come down? It would take the best driver in the world to get the Defender down as safe. In your opinion, but I would disagree, most people don’t have the skills. Driver aids and mode switches like the Range Rovers have can make you look like a god!

Life long Defender fan by the way, I’d choose a Defender every time 😉

Not failed me last, or this winter (*cough* minor mechanical excepted). I doubt it’s anywhere near the best, but it’s had me sailing up hills in the snow (without snow tyres) and on/off snow covered grass verges where rwd tranny vans were stuck with just two wheels on/two off. Bloody scary if you don’t treat it with care in just RWD, but driven sensibly has been a great tool.

69er
    Free Member

For what the OP asked, Defender evey time. I bought one off this very forum about 10 years ago, it’s been brilliant.

cranberry
    Free Member

I love my Defender to bits, but is it the best 4×4 ?

It has a wonderfully British imperfectness about it – it is stunningly capable in some ways, and yet leaky and noisy.

It can be easily repaired, and every bit of it is replaceable, but those parts occasionally seem to travel together in a rather loose formation.

A Discovery will do most of what a Defender will if you don’t mind paying modern car prices for all the bits that you will catch on the scenery as you drive through it.

A Freelander will do more than you would imagine, but has it’s limits.

Toyota make some very capable off-roaders, but they are dull.

If you need a 4×4 for the school run/keeping up with the Jones’s and the tricky bit of Tesco’s carpark then VW/Audi and BMW make some good vehicles.

Whatever you consider is the “best” depends on what you want to do with a class of vehicles in which all 4 wheels are driven.

Hairychested
    Free Member

monkeyfudger, I’m happy to disagree 🙂
    BTW I really don’t think any Western vehicle is as useful off road as the trusty UAZ the Red Army have been using for yonks. No maintenance other than a hammer and some wire, diesel in, off you go.
    For me, the real off road in Europe is this:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIpRju_pJAM[/video]
    Does it show I like mud?

Hairychested
    Free Member

And for a laugh:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afJ18eJeNgU&feature=related[/video]

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No you are wrong, look, classy qualitage, and Saltaire!!!:

Kahn stuff = as classy as an Alsation chained to a stainless steel carvan

Surf-Mat = as culturally ignorant as a traffic cone on the A34…

Look pon it; well hench:

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘What is the best 4*4 out there?’ is closed to new replies.