Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What is the 0 to 60 of a Boeing 737 then?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

I was on a 737 A320? the other day and wondered if a car could out gun one to 60mph in a drag race, as we went for take off….

So, what is the 0 to 60 of a 737 then, under normal use.

no conveyor belts please

uplink
    Free Member

what's normal use though?

How heavy?
    Full power take off?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dunno about the 737, but I remember that the newer 777s are a little under 6 seconds to 60mph under an average load. (Amazing things up close in the factory!)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I guess loaded with holiday makers off to Benidorm for a 2 week holiday all with 20kg of luggage each and full fuel tanks

GrahamS

Is it going with or against the direction of the conveyor belt?

Edit: oops just saw your "no conveyor belts" note, apologies.

Pigface
    Free Member

I used to think planes were quick on take off utill I got my hands on a worked on EXUP. Yeeeeehhaaaawwwwwww 😀

brant
    Free Member
    RustySpanner

Is it an African or European 737?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

In that case it takes about 13 secs to reach 60mph

YES, I knew I could burn one off in a drag race (to 60 anyway) 😀

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

ferrari, as tested by the stig = 0-60 3.5 seconds. same car with 500 people and luggage on roof rack = wheels fall off!

mboy
    Free Member

Jet engined vehicles won't be very impressive in terms of initial acceleration, as there is no direct drive converting power into forward motion. Once rolling though, they will begin to build momentum in a much more linear fashion than a car or anything else with an internal combustion engine driving the wheels.

Remember the Top Gear race between a Bugatti Veyron and the RAF Typhoon? The Veyron pretty much trounced the Jet to about 100mph, but once the jet had got some momentum, it just buggered off…

This Video Shows what I mean… You can see the Bike manages to totally dominate off the line, the Porsche still beating the Jet to about 100mph convincingly though. Once speed (and friction, both from the air and from the tyres on the ground) increases, acceleration is influenced MUCH more by ultimate power than it is the power/weight ratio. The Bike dominates off the line cos it weighs bugger all and has a very high power to weight ratio, the Porsche eventually overtakes the bike at high speed cos of it having about 3 times the power despite weighing about 8 times as much. Obviously the Jet weighs many times what the car does, but it's also got a shitload more power! It'll carry on accelerating up to about Mach 2 or so in a reasonably linear fashion, mainly due to massive power output!

crazy-legs

I sometimes used to hold my GPS against the window on take off just to watch the speed and altitude figures. It's not *that* fast – about 8-10 seconds but beyond that it's pretty quick to 160ish take off speed.

rs
    Free Member

please switch off all electronics during take-off 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hello, yes, CFH here. Any chance you can just check that I'm not sitting next to that odd geek who had his GPS out during take off? Frightfully dull….

😉

Pigface
    Free Member

and dont forget aerodynamics, a bike with rider is not the easiest thing to push through the air.

Flaperon

Don't forget that a jet might not reach take off thrust until passing 90mph in some cases… 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What is the 0 to 60 of a Boeing 737 then?’ is closed to new replies.