Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What is that horrendous click?
  • thered

Old King headset but had new bearings when serviced a year ago by Saddleback in a new frame.

As I turn my bars through 70 degress in either direction there are 2 very loud and physically noticeable clicks, it’s as noticeable as turning a key in a lock, what the hell is that???

mjsmke

Try taking the bearings out, rotating 90 degrees and re fitting. If the clicks now happen in different places it could be the bearings are worn.

dannyh
    Free Member

It’s not something as infuriatingly obvious as the cables pulling and then flicking onto the frame is it?

70 degrees is a fair turn, so it could be something like that – I have chased similar noises around myself to find that they are nothing to do with what I thought……

jekkyl

my first thought was cables rubbing in the stays, or against each other if you have a little cable tie holding them tidy.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Your knees.

wwaswas

cl looking like a d to anyone else on a mobile?

Goldigger
    Free Member

probably my knees!

matt_outandabout

You have a bat in the steerer tube, you wake it up each time you ridge the bars…

thered

It’s the feeling through the bars that makes me think it’s not cables, there’s a very distinct click felt through the controls.

Northwind

Is it an old design King from before the aheadset patent expired?

daern
    Free Member

Your knees.

I remember reading here of someone who said he knew when his BB needed replacing because it drowned out the sound of his knees…

thered

Northwind – It could be, it’s over 6 years old now.

When I backed off the pre-load the click has gone away but of course now there’s play. Into the LBS this morning.

Northwind

thered – Member

Northwind – It could be, it’s over 6 years old now.

Have you had the fork out? The old (rubbish) design has a track record of scoring fork steerers which could definitely create your click.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What is that horrendous click?’ is closed to new replies.