Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What is it with want to own pigs – oinking not blue
  • amodicumofgnar

I just dont get it what is it that makes the suited and booted suddenly decide they want to give it all up and own a couple of pigs. Seen about four different things about pig ownership today – non of them farming related. Micro house pigs – WTF.

Is it in the escape the city hand book? Or are they just planning on getting even snatch style, don't accept those dinner invitations you might just be on the menu.

nicko74

My missus has a thing for pigs – has always thought they're cute in some way. I can kinda see it, but I'd rather have cats. She's allergic tho 🙁

samuri
    Free Member

Anybody who wants to own pigs clearly has never had anything to do with them. They're smart creatures but as a result, they're not very nice. I worked on a pig farm for a while, you learn to never take your eye off them.

Best left for eating IMO.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Samuri did you work on an intensive farm? My family kept pigs on a small, (outdoor raised) scale. They are lovely, friendly affectionate animals with personalities very like those of dogs. I don't understand why you equate 'smart' with 'not very nice'. I can only assume it was the conditions they were kept in or how they were treated at your place of work, as they are super animals if treated well, so they are not afraid or mentally distressed.

Some intensive farms are like concentration camps where the poor pig does not even have enough room to turn around and face a different direction. They struggle to cope then, just like a human would if treated so cruelly.

jam-bo

bacon, ham, chops, crackling.

whats not to like?

funkynick

If I had the space I'd keep a couple of pigs… and then make lovely bacon, ham, sausages, black pudding etc etc… nom nom nom..

samuri
    Free Member

Not intensive, about 4-5 pigs to each pen apart from the boars and they each had their own yard.
    There was no obvious sign of maltreatment, they were fed well and the only time I saw them anxious was when one got slaughtered (even this was done at the farm), they all knew what was going on, you could tell.

They would fight quite a bit though and some of the smaller pigs would get bullied a lot. They would try and knock people in the pen over too.

Maybe it was a breed thing, although I have no idea what breed these were.

The nastiest animals are always intelligent. Look at humans.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I worked with free range pigs for about 3 years a long time ago. The boars were always more friendly and trusting than the sows but once a sow started to trust they were great.
    I had a young gilt who when she saw me would come over to me a roll over for me to rub her belly. Another one had a liking for the sweets Skittles. I used to take her a packet occasionally and she would take them out of my pocket and open the packet herself.
    They can also be very aggresive. I have a 3" scar on my right thigh as a result of one attacking me.
    If I had the space and time I would definately have a couple.
    Still better in a sarnie though. 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What is it with want to own pigs – oinking not blue’ is closed to new replies.