Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What is it that our woodpigeons are startled by?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

They always have that look of panic about them. Permenantly alarmed, astonished, bewildered.

What is it?

philconsequence
    Free Member

they know your secrets! 😯

captaincarbon
    Free Member

The sound of my gun when the f88kers have eaten all my bleedin onions!

Bunnyhop

A chap from the RSPB phoned me the other day.
    2 reasons, firstly to tell me the outcome of the ‘RSPB big garden bird watch’ and more importantly, trying to get me to join.
    However what he said in the results about wood pigeons was astonishing – their numbers have risen by over 840%

They are tasty though.

rewski
    Free Member

Anyone eaten the trafalger square variety?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Mr. Woodpigeon and friends need to have a chat with Mr. Nightjar who has definitely got the chilled out thing sorted.

Bunnyhop

Still prefer a baby robin.

Hohum
    Free Member

Horrible, stupid things.

They look so incrdibly thick and dopey IMO.

They hang around the bottom of our feeder, eat the bits that the little birds drop/knock down and jobby all over the slabs, grrr!

SaxonRider

I’ll ask one of the survivors of the neighbour’s cat. just befor it succumbs to its injuries in my back garden.

Yech. I like birds well enough, but not in bits and pieces. Especially formerly fat, juicy woodpigeons.

SiB
    Free Member

Ho hum…….not so stupid then if they just wait to be fed by the smaller birds??

Coyote
    Free Member

If you tasted so good, you’d be nervous too…

TerryWrist
    Free Member

yunki
    Free Member

v tasty.. don’t get them from the butchers though as they will have been hung to mature.. ick..
    you need to get fresh ones..

remove breast meat.. marinate in cyder and garlic and a wee bit of whatever takes your fancy for six to eight hours..

pop on the BBQ.. and enjoy

same recipe for trafalgar square ones.. only marinate in special brew and ganja or they will taste of bus fumes..

heston blumenthal eat your heart out.. (not literally though.. that would be weird)

mcmoonter
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

Lolz at yunki.. maybe I am drunk after all?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Maybe it’s the fact that ten year old kids can get the necessary paperwork to own one of these:

RustySpanner

Usually a .177 RWS Hobby, delivered by a 40 year old Original 35.
    Shortly to be replaced by a Weihrauch HW 99, 95 or 98.

Cammer
    Free Member

Sparrow Hawks!

Witnessed one killing and feasting a Dove in our garden yesterday!

yunki
    Free Member

My brother swears by this..

derek_starship
    Free Member

Rusty spanner – also consider the HW 57. Full power, fixed barrel and pop-up breech loading. Dead accurate as well. Obviously in .177 flavour.

RustySpanner

Your brother has taste.
    As do woodies, slightly nutty and gamey, delicious.

EDIT Cheers Derek, will have a look at that one too.
    Always promised myself a FWB sport, but they don’t make them anymore.
    HW 99’s looking favourite at the mo, amazing value.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’ve had a 99 and for the money they are superb. One rifle I wish I’d never let go was my Webley Omega in .177. Oh and a Venom Sidewinder.

*sobs*

CountZero

Let’s face it, there ain’t a lot of brain inside that teeny little skull. Anything that stupid is going to be startled by it’s own shadow. I’ve got a couple that hang around under the Acer scarfing up the bits of sunflower seed that the untidy little Goldfinches drop. Buggers often make me jump shooting off with a loud clatter as I go out to the shed for the bike in the morning. Rather hoped the ginger muggy that haunts the place might nab them.

MrOvershoot

My preferred choice is an HW77 in .22 with Bisley pest control pellets
    +

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What is it that our woodpigeons are startled by?’ is closed to new replies.