Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What is it about fires…
  • maxray
    Free Member

It must be some sort of in built core brain reaction to fire from when we were roaming the plains n stuff..

Finally got our wood burner fitted after much umming and aaahing.. so so happy.

There is nothing better than sitting down of an evening with the fire flickering away. Bring on the cold winter nights.. :0)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Agreed. Curious colour choice.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Agreed, open fires are grate. Always love to get a holiday place with one, not sure I could live with one on a day to day basis when time is normally against us.

That logs gonna take a while to burn.

Olly
    Free Member

Agreed, open fires are grate.

hang your head in shame, lollers

BillyWhizz
    Free Member

And there's a gas point right there in case you ever want to move out of the middle ages and into the rocking '00's . . . .

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Agreed. Curious colour choice.

Don't worry – it won't be that colour for long 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

Olly I couldn't resist.

coffeeking
    Free Member

And there's a gas point right there in case you ever want to move out of the middle ages and into the rocking '00's . . . .

Its our reliance on gas and elec that causes half of the worlds problems in the '00s.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Aye if we all chopped down trees to keep warm things would be much better.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Nice

But that loglet will not last long

coffeeking
    Free Member

Aye if we all chopped down trees to keep warm things would be much better.

Certainly better and more sustainable than fossil fuels for domestic heating, though if we ALL did it we might need to get planting trees now.

retro83
    Free Member

Lol @ Loglet

skidartist
    Free Member

The original fuel crisis was the the shortage of wood for fuel – its the crisis that drove the technology to mine for fossil fuel in the first place. People like to use the word 'sustainable' for wood, but there is no way that wood could be sustained as a serious fuel choice.

I sometimes do create a ton or so of little timber off cuts – so I like to chuck them on the fire and put my feet up, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to buy wood just to burn it. It seems too useful.

coffeeking
    Free Member

skid – the industrial/mechanical use of fuels is what caused the initial hunt for fossil fuels. Burning wood is not a sensible option for transport or large machinery. For the relatively small-scale, slow-use area of space heating it's a much more viable option and it does a damn good job of being a cycle rather than a one-way process. It's not perfect, but its a damn sight better than just ignoring it altogether and burning fossil fuels only.

skidartist
    Free Member

Burning wood is not a sensible option for transport or large machinery. For the relatively small-scale,

but I love to see the old war time woodgas powered buses back in action again – theres a heath robinson project for you to tinker with.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And it looks nice.

I can remember from a very early age going to my grandma's and loving watching the fire. I would save up little bits of paper so I could throw them on when we went to visit. I always wanted a real fire at home but we just had those gawd-awful Canon Miser gas fires.

So of course I have installed a great Morso log burner at home and love it to bits.

maxray
    Free Member

😀 amused.. I like the color ta, black would have been to oppresive for the room tho we havent actually finished decorating it yet, I dont think it will be too much trouble to keep it clean.

It was only a little fire to harden off the almond finish as it was its first run.

As for whether its a good or bad way to stay warm nearly all the fuel for it is from wood trimmed back by the forestry from an overhanging stretch of road. It is not like I am tearing out the heart of the rain forests and if it keeps the central heating dial from being turned up during the winter then I will be using a bit less gas for all you lot in the 00's.

:o)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh, and don't regs stipulate that the hearth should be raised? 😉 I could be wrong mind you.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Basically a fire is caveman TV we seem to have a gene for just staring at it contently. I guess in the old days it meant life via warmth and safety.

Not lit mine yet not October them are the rules.

maxray
    Free Member

Regs stipulate that it must be a noticable difference between the hearth and floor and as a rule yes they are raised but after discussing this with the installer he was happy that there was enough of a difference between the slate/wood and if we move on and keep it in place can add a raised outer just to cross the t's so to speak. 😀

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What is it about fires…’ is closed to new replies.