Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • What is going on with some classified sales?
  • couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Post 41 disappeared again 🙁

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

There was a big scandal on the Paneristi forum a few years back…basically a guy went AWOL with many many tens of thousands of pounds worth of watches and cash. He’d built up a cast iron reputation over the years; many long-standing forum members of good repute could, would & did vouch for him, having bought genuine watches from him without a hitch, shipped all over the word…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I will just add that my experiences with the classifieds on here have been nothing but good.

Over the last couple of weeks I have assembled a full disc brake front endfor a pal – fork, wheel, brake for under £100

Coyote
    Free Member

Ditto classifieds. I’m not a heavy user but all experiences have been positive.

Maybe if someone is ripping off other forum users, is there not an argument for a permanent ban?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve never had a real problem. Worst was a set of Maguras with a chipped and leaky piston. The seller refunded the cost of a new caliper which I was more than happy with.

That said I’m pretty careful and tend to check people out. I’m not bothered if it’s someone who only posts on the classifides though, I think if theve got a big selling history that’s a plus point, personally.

phil56

One question – what is the attraction of paypal gift?
    I have used it to pay in the past and there is a fee just the same as paypal. As it appears to offer less protection, but still attracts a charge, why do people insist on it?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PayPal – If you have a balance or transfer the money from a bank account, it’s free. Use a credit card and there’s a charge. If you pay gift, you pay the charge, if you don’t the payee pays it

I think…!

Jamie
    Free Member

If the money comes out of your Paypal balance then there is no charge to either party. If paypal has to access your debit/credit card, then there is a charge to the sender.

…I think.

Edit: Woooah!

batfink
    Free Member

Surely it’s up to you as the buyer to balance the risk?

expensive item + no photos + vague description + limited forum history + paypal gift + non-recorded delivery = extremely high risk

Low value item + photos + detailled description + good forum history + paypal + recorded delivery = extremely low risk

it’s just up to you to ballance the grey in between.

ton

i always sell shyte and try and rip everyone off…………. 😀

wwaswas

I’ve been ripped off by Ton selling overpriced tat several times so I agree with him 🙂

TiRed

Nothing but good experiences. Have recently bought
    a complete bike
    seatpost
    ergon grips
    BB7 brake

Thanks all. Like most things there will be a small but vocal negative response when things go wrong, and a huge underbelly of positive experience.

D0NK

Ton pulls a ratner 😯

<edit> Is “the realman incident” going into STW folklore already? Seems a little harsh…you **** 1 sheep.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

I have sold and bought off the classifieds recently!

I have had no problems!

When I sell, its with pics and a very accurate description (I hope!) and need the same when buying. Won’t buy off someone who doesn’t contribute to the whole STW thing mind.

sugdenr
    Free Member

I reckon I have spent around 1.5k in the classifieds over the last year and a half. Bought laptop, phone, frames x2, forks, wheels x6, brakes

I have not had a single serious issue, but I do my homework on history etc.

Leave the result of the transaction as a post on their thread.

Good point, must do this

kaesae
    Free Member

I judge every trade on it’s own and based on the specific circumstances, from experience feedback systems aren’t really relevant and as pointed out can cause a false sense of security.

Woody
    Free Member

Won’t buy off someone who doesn’t contribute to the whole STW thing mind.

[quote]Leave the result of the transaction as a post on their thread.[/quote]
    If you follow the first point and we all start doing the second it should be all that is needed.

Also payment not via Paypal gift. Luckily, the only time someone tried it on with me I had paid by normal ‘purchase’ and got my money back in a couple of weeks

zokes
    Free Member

<edit> Is “the realman incident” going into STW folklore already? Seems a little harsh…you **** 1 sheep

Well, he knows what to do….

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘What is going on with some classified sales?’ is closed to new replies.