Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What is each wheel size best at?
  • GEDA
    Free Member

I do not believe one is best. I have a normal Prophet and Dialled Alpine and a Titus Fireline 29er. All of them are great on their own terms.

I built a pumptrack in the garden and surprisingly the 29er is easiest to pump. Probably due to it flattening everything out and just flowing better. The Dialled Alpine takes more effort to pump but the more energy you put in you get out so it is easier to get air and you can go faster.

The Titus makes roots and rocks much easier and means that you are not expending so much energy and can go faster. Jumping and pumping you feel less connected with the bike. The Prophet is still my fav bike for mountain biking though as it does everything from DH to XC.

With all this talk of wheel size and now 650b got me thinking that since all wheel sizes cannot be optimal for all uses what is each size best at?

I suppose the smaller the wheel size the more manoeuvrable the bike will be and the bigger the wheel is the better it will flatten out everything.

Personally I think most people would be better off with a 29er now as most people do not do jumps or techy stuff. For me my 26er give the most fun and involved ride, which I like and is why I love riding a hardtail. If I was going for all out speed though the 29er would be my choice.

RustySpanner

26 – Mobilising the world. Making people happy.
    27.5 – Doubt and confusion. Breaking the camels back.
    29 – Smug superiority. A licence to print money.

I think that just about covers it. 😀

GEDA
    Free Member

I was not being so cynical 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Rusty has it clearly

It is to get us to spend money on stuff we dont really need so they persuade us we want it and it is better

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Each wheel size is best at sneaking into your subconscious and opening a nagging doubt as to whether you have the right tool for the job at any given moment… over time, as yet more wheel sizes appear, riders will get slower and slower, constantly haunted by the demons of insecurity.

nickc

Personally I think most people would be better off with a 29er now as most people do not do jumps or techy stuff.

you mean…the bits that make it fun? 😉

slackalice
    Free Member

Being a wheel.

GEDA
    Free Member

Yes the bits the make it fun! Most people think if it is easier it is more fun though.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

win for rusty.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What is each wheel size best at?’ is closed to new replies.