Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What is a good grease or oil for my chain?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Now that I’m replacing most of my drive train I’ve decided that I should probably take better care of my chain. I’ve used organic oil and dry wax chain lube but the chain seems to go dry very quickly.

What should I be using to keep my chain nice and lubed and what good for cleaning the chain?

Thanks.

Keef
    Free Member

snake oil…..

Sandwich

We use wax lube for the hire fleet. Less rubbish picked up and sticking to the chain. A quick wipe down afterwards with a rag and re-apply for rattle-free chains. Little or no muck on the freewheel and between the sprockets as well. I had to degrease with an orange based product to remove the previous lube before using the wax stuff though. I’m running a long term test on this as the local trails and roads can get very sandy/gritty.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ve given up on dry/wax lubes, as they need constant re-application (after every single ride), and cost far too much.

TBh, I’ve found 3-in-1 type oils to last the longest, and give best performance in very wet conditions, but they do get very grimy, and cleaning is a proper PITA. Cheap as anything though. ‘Wet’ type cycle chain lubes are ok. The ‘dry’ type ones stay much cleaner but just don’t really do that good a job of actually providing lubrication to a constantly moving part. I spose the less grimy a chain is, the better it will last, but it’s no good if it’s all fallen off by the end of a ride and you’ve got a squeaky chain.

starsh78
    Free Member

Weldtite TF2 grease on my chain…

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

I’m liking juice lubes dry the now.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Like what Elfinsays,

I use finish line wet all year round, but I cheat by having three chains in constant circulation – clean on the bike, being degreased and clean waiting for use. Spreads wear that way too.

I got three years out of the last three chains, single cassette and chainring – I can live with that.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I like the Squirt lube. Follow the instrcutions and it works well.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Car gearbox oil as recommend by (among many others) Regina, Honda, & me. The fact that it costs about £8 per litre as opposed to about £60 a litre for say Finish Line Cross Country is an added bonus too.

Rumours abound that the best chain lube tested by one mag/site is actually re-bottled gear oil…amazing how quick people catch on (I was taught to use gear oil over 40 years ago).

bighendo
    Free Member

3 in 1 oil + three chains in constant circulation
    sorted !!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

putoline motorcyle chain wax, cheap. longlasting, works well, filthy faff to apply. Significantly increased chain life since I started using it

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What is a good grease or oil for my chain?’ is closed to new replies.