Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 125 total)
  • What I do at work. Bus in bits content.
  • I thought some of the STW IT managers might be interested in what goes on in the world of engineering.

Taking the axle out of a bus.

The big lump on the diff is the retarder.
    The ratchet strap round the tyre is to stop the weight of the retarder rotating the whole lot downwards.

The reason for removing it.

The axle had cracked around the spring mountings and was leaking oil.
    That’s the underside there, I’ve rolled it over and started grinding the crack out ready to weld it.

yossarian
    Free Member

cynic-al
    Free Member

😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

have you thought about making this interesting? perhaps list the tools in your workshop you need and say print a map for them. Then give each tool some points and say a time limit to get them all 😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

what makes you think buses are more interesting than I.T.
    they are both very dull.

jackthedog
    Free Member

The tyre is strapped but what stops the axle rotating?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I never wonder what goes on in a garage as long as my car comes back fixed.

But then I don’t work in IT either.

LOL @ Junky

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

I could post pictures of old clocks and clock towers but that is boring but I enjoy my job.

globalti
    Free Member

More please!

clubber
    Free Member

I work in IT. I’m also a trained/qualified mech engineer. This thread reminds me why I made the choice I did 🙂

“The tyre is strapped but what stops the axle rotating?”
    The brakes are on. The handbrake/parking brake on an air braked vehicle uses a spring at each wheel to apply the brake and air pressure to release it. Once the pipes are disconnected, the brake is automatically locked on.

“…they are both very dull.”

Buses are dull, engineering is interesting.
    I’ve been looking through some old Meccano magazines this morning, reading about a 6000 ton press used to make railway wagon wheels. I find that sort of thing fascinating.
    I enjoy the mental and physical challenge of taking something apart, repairing it and putting it all back together again, especially if it involves jacks, cranes and hydraulic lifts.

roper
    Free Member

I find that sort of stuff interesting too, though I am hopeless as mechanics I do like metal work.
    Still good to see what goes on, it looks much more organised than I thought, nice photos too.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

engineering is interesting

Opinions are subjective… and you enjoy orienteering.

santacoops
    Free Member

I’m an accountant!

Cougar

I had an elderly coal-burning voicemail server in bits yesterday. If I’d known there was going to be a show & tell I’d have taken pics.

almightydutch
    Free Member

ROFL @ TSY

mogrim

I thought some of the STW IT managers might be interested in what goes on in the world of engineering

Interested, and it is interesting – although it looks more like a job for a mechanic than an engineer.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Opinions are subjective

Yep.

The brakes are on.

So does that mean if an air braked vehicle loses pressure the brakes default to on? Or is that just for the parking brake?

I’ve seen bus drivers get a warning bong from the dash and start revving the engine at lights to make it stop. I always assumed this was something to do with building up air pressure – is that so?

Flaperon

jackthedog – correct.

wolvesdug
    Free Member

engineering is cool.

I am a Project engineer working on rather large cranes.
    Was on the tools for 14 years before making the move to Project work.

Waderider
    Free Member

I like this post, more please.

“Opinions are subjective… and you enjoy orienteering”
    It’s the combination of physical and mental challenge again. Some people like chess, some people like time trialling, some like a sport that’s got a bit of each.

“…it looks more like a job for a mechanic than an engineer”
    My parking space at work. 😛

jackthedog, yes to all three questions.

The foot brake uses air pressure to apply the brakes.
    The biggest difference between air and hydraulic brakes is that in a hydraulic system, the lever or pedal is a pump. Push it harder and it applies more pressure at the wheel.
    An air brake pedal is a tap. The compressor creates the pressure, the “tap” allows that pressure through to the wheels.

The parking brake is a fail safe system, it uses air pressure to release the brakes.
    In slow moving traffic where the brakes, doors, gear shift and suspension are constantly using air, the compressor may not keep up at low engine speeds.

BigJohn

Dull – but still more interesting than trailquests.

Northwind

Not being funny, but why is that engineering not mechanicking? It’s no different than work I’ve done myself (other than the scale) but I’d never call myself an engineer. Perhaps I would if I had a sign that said so beside my parking space 😉

Flash
    Free Member

You appear to be confusing mechanic with engineer

z1ppy

I’m going to take this opportunity to post STW’s new favourite gif:

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Flash +1

the person who designed the diff/ axle etc is an engineer. the guy doing the grinding and welding isn’t

The bus industry seems to use some archaic language.
    Coming in to buses from haulage, what I think of as the Traffic Office, is called Despatch.
    The room with the pool table where the drivers hang around between duties is called the Guard Room.

When I worked at a Mercedes commercial vehicle dealer, we were called Technicians. MAN and Iveco called us Mechanics.

geoffj

It is interesting, more please Graham.
    And try to ignore the snobs/pedants re mechanic/engineer.

I’ve just got in the habit of using the term engineer as that’s what we’re called and that’s how I answer the phone to let people know they are through to the workshop, not Despatch.
    I’m certainly not claiming to be something I’m not.
    After all, Engineers only design stuff on paper. Mechanics keep it working in the real world. 😉

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

And try to ignore the snobs/pedants re mechanic/engineer.

To be fair, it’s quite important. If you did a first aid course and slapped a plaster on someone would you call yourself a doctor?

EDIT: not getting at the OP here, just a general beef of mine…

emsz
    Free Member

If I’d known there was going to be a show & tell I’d have taken pics.

I spent the morning yesterday buying underwear… 8)

as part of my job, fireproof, not very alluring, I’m afraid.

Cougar

Flame-proof pants can be quite useful on here.

Pook

engineering you say?

Kahurangi

While in my place of work you wouldn’t be an ‘engineer’ you’re entirely correct to use it when that is your job title!!!

Please post more, this stuff is more interesting than the middle-class dilemmas that bulk out the forums!

deserter
    Free Member

all the places I have worked I was never called an engineer, it was mechanic or technician.

buses are the worst thing to work on after cars, I’m a truck mechanic by trade but now I fix diggers which is much more interesting than anything else I have worked on

I actually got some action shots a couple of months ago I’ll see if I can find them

project
    Free Member

Mtg, whats your opinion on the Alexander Dennis Enviro400 hybrid, that seems to be taking a lot of orders and the enviro 400.

Daniel
    Free Member

More please Graham.

My current ‘engineering’ project…

Flash
    Free Member

Sorry MTG, I was grumpy this morning, not having a go at you, it was very rude of me.

samuri
    Free Member

I’m an engineer. I have the letters after my name to prove it.

Those qualifications were very useful for getting me my job in IT Management.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘What I do at work. Bus in bits content.’ is closed to new replies.