Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 125 total)
  • What I do at work. Bus in bits content.
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think you should chrome plate that. Proper bling it.

slartybartfast
    Free Member

I think it will have enough brass bling on it by the time it is finished.
    I did want him to build it from stainless steel, but he said it is not traditional.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Not ‘traditional’? Is it an original one or a replica?

If the latter, SS is fine.

slartybartfast
    Free Member

It is a copy of one that was scrapped in the 60’s, all built from scratch just using original Fowler B6 drawings.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I was for 20 years or so an agricultural/plant mechanic / fitter. Great job never dull but on £7.50 p/hour at the end. Now a solicitor and can afford a roof over my head but no where near as satisfying(still have my snap on tool chest and tools etc in the shed). I am very envious MTG!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Then does it really matter if it’s not exactly the same as an original?

I think using modern finishes would really make it stand out, be a conversation piece. Why the insistence on ‘tradition’ all the bloody time?

Imagine it, right, two-tone paint like on a TVR, all chrome plate/polished brass and that, wheel spinners, the lot. Would be boss.

When I am rich I am going to buy a Rolls Royce and lowrider it. Have a pneumatic/hydraulic system that adjusts the suspension, so if you’re driving past the local Wimpy, you can just flip one corner up with attitude.

slartybartfast
    Free Member

The bloke who is building it is a proper steam fanatic and his engine is going to be an exact copy of the original, some of the things he has done just to get it that far are just mindblowing to me.

Daniel
    Free Member

Graham, 80″ with one tonne rims (similar to 2b) 🙂

wwaswas

My Dad has one of these he plays with;

Dennis Merryweather GXA95 by asciidv, on Flickr

Travis

it beats looking at On-Ones

Burls72
    Free Member

I was for 20 years or so an agricultural/plant mechanic / fitter. Great job never dull but on £7.50 p/hour at the end. Now a solicitor and can afford a roof over my head but no where near as satisfying(still have my snap on tool chest and tools etc in the shed). I am very envious MTG!

Thats what you call a career change! Can I ask what spurred you on to change and choose that profession?

Nipper99
    Free Member

Burls, lots of lawyers in the family. Interesting job most of the time, but at the end of the day for the better income. If i could fettle agricultural and plant equipment for the same or even similar money i would like a shot. mechanics analytical mind is excellent training for a lawyer imo.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

My Dad has one of these he plays with;

😯

Your dad has a fire engine??

Can he adopt me? Pleeeeease??

When I was very small, I wanted to be a fire engine…

As this thread seems to moving towards all sorts of engineering projects, here’s another one of mine.
    Like most people who own a vintage vehicle, I’ve had to make, mend and modify all sorts of parts.

I bought a trailer to go behind my Militant.
    I borrowed a timber lorry to fetch it home, then unloaded it using the Militant’s crane.

I soon found a problem that the Militant brakes aren’t particularly good by modern standards and the trailer brakes were too good.
    The 4t trailer was trying to stop the 22t Militant and locking it’s wheels up too easily.
    I made some brackets and fitted a load actuated valve.

I made a linkage to connect it to the axles with rubber mountings.

With the trailer empty and the springs extended, the valve reduces the pressure to the brakes.
    With a load on the trailer, the springs compress, opening the valve and allowing full brake effort.

Burls72
    Free Member

MTG – Thats big boys toys! A couple from me,

My labour of love (sorry rubbish pic)

Work, didn’t build it myself obviously just supplied parts (5 metre long t-sections welded from 25mm thick plate) which wasn’t as simple as it sounds. We were the only engineering company in the area who’s standards were high enough. When the work was being done it looked like nothing was going on but there were nearly 100 blokes working in those two green tombs sorry steel boxes. I went in there once, not nice.

althepal

Aw man, me I’m a technician, but the Amb version though would argue againt the earlier comment that we don’t work much out ( or words to that effect, can’t be bothered going back to check, was prob a firey that made it anyway-ooooo, joke!)
    Sad to get to the end of this wee thread, always appreciated engineering, engines, buildings etc..
    I’ve never really been one to bother with titles much, unless it means I’ll receive bit less money than I feel I should- thank you agenda for change!!
    Sorry, little bit ot there..

timber

Like the big machine fixing. Remember working on a friends farm when I was younger helping with a clutch replcement on a tractor in the yard. One half strapped to the forklift and the other half to the telescopic.

And that militant looks handy too, could use that in the woods if it would fit between the trees.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

MTG, see you’ve got a dog box there too. Synchromesh not able to hack it then? 😆

althepal

Dog box, niice..

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Wunundred! 😀

wwaswas

Wunundred!

Did you stay up until 3am just to post that?

I’m sure he’d welcome some help with the thing (it may be for sale soon, in any event) but you’d have to move to Anglesey…

jackthedog
    Free Member

AEC Militant. Nice!

Nice idea with the brakes MTG.

Update from the world of bus engineering.

A tip for those who are neither mechanics nor engineers;
    You’re not supposed to be able to see straight through an engine like that.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

somewhat different to my world of engineering

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

ir_bandito – Member
    somewhat different to my world of engineering

You work for Ann Summers, and I claim my £5

tonyplym
    Free Member

Would one of these replace the engine with the unwanted hole ?

Good find, tony, that looks like exactly the same type of engine.
    We’re only allowed to buy from approved suppliers though, so it would need someone higher up to give the go ahead, which is pretty unlikely.

bigyinn
    Free Member

2 legs out of bed or just two holes in the block?

Looks like oil starvation at high speed for some reason.
    No3 rod took the camshaft with it, No6 took the fuel pump.

8.4 litre Cummins engine in a Dennis Lance.
    Driver said it made a lot of noise and stopped. I went out and started it, then stopped it immediately and thought “We’ll get this one towed in” 😕

Oil cooler failure. Oil and water mixed.

bullheart
    Free Member

That looks like what my wife makes me for breakfast.

😥

havinalaff
    Free Member

I used to be an engineer, now I’m a paramedic!! Thats defo more interesting!!!

v8ninety

I used to be an engineer, now I’m a paramedic!! Thats defo more interesting!!!

I’m a paramedic!!! (have been for years) And I disagree!!! 😉
    (it takes all sorts dunnit?!?)

maccruiskeen

could there maybe some sort of niche for a combined mechanic, paramedic and general builder?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Is an Engineer mechanic the modern day grease monkey 😉

Drac

Paramedic here too.

High Five!

wisepranker
    Free Member

Another mechanic turned paramedic here too 😀

v8ninety

I sometimes think there’s more medical types on here than IT types…

project
    Free Member

paramedics and bus mechanics,both dress in overalls and wear rubber gloves when looking at a patient,andboth attendd accidents and breakdowns.

lol.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Is that bent con rod? Oops

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘What I do at work. Bus in bits content.’ is closed to new replies.