Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)
  • What I do at work. Bus in bits content.
  • randomjeremy
    Free Member

I wondered if I would ever find a more tedious thread than that one about trail mapping or World of TrailQuests or whatever it was, and now I have my answer. Thanks I guess

allthepies
    Free Member

mechanic is more appropriate I think

geoffj

randomjeremy – Member
    I wondered if I would ever find a more tedious thread than that one about trail mapping or World of TrailQuests or whatever it was, and now I have my answer. Thanks I guess

POSTED 13 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Yeah, a discussion about whether to put salt or vinegar on thir chips first is far more interesting 😉

bloodynora
    Free Member

Keep up the good work MTG. Nice to read an interesting thread on here rather than the usual argumentative stuff. All that arguing gets a bit much sometimes! An update on your house renovations would be good too 🙂

Waderider
    Free Member

I’m working as a mechanic to pay for a degree in civil engineering. They are both respectful and cool jobs, but to be fair the engineering requires the larger brain.

It’s all good stuff………….

Positive threads are good.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I reckon you should combine your skills and make this your next project MidlandGraham :

……..the appalachian homestead bus

project
    Free Member

Sadly the knockers forget all the benefits engineering and buses/trains bring to society, public transport etc.

We where once world leaders in bus and train production and design, sadly its been taken from us, to be replaced by moaners, who have nothing better to do than sit at a computer, rubbishing threads, that some of us have a real intrest in.

mogrim

I’m an engineer. I have the letters after my name to prove it.

Those qualifications were very useful for getting me my job in IT Management.

lol, +1!

Think I first mentioned mechanic/engineer – not a dig at the thread, this kind of stuff is great as far as I’m concerned, but fixing a bus axle still doesn’t seem to be engineering (in the modern sense of the word) to me.

RichPenny
    Free Member

To be fair, it’s quite important. If you did a first aid course and slapped a plaster on someone would you call yourself a doctor?

It isn’t really that important though is it.

Oh, and your example is a little condescending.

Mind you, if I called for a first aider and got a doctor I’d be pleased. If I called for a mechanic and got an engineer I’d be disappointed 😉

CHB

Graham, you fix stuff and have a passion for engineering. That makes you OK in my book.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Daniel – nice looking build, those 2b rims? What vintage is she?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

My neighbour what used to be a boilermaker/welder thinks he was an ‘engineer’. He has very little understanding of engineering principles, however, or of materials. His bodged shelves and stuff on his balcony are well dodgy. But try telling him he’s not an ‘engineer’. It seems the term ‘engineer’ has changed in meaning over time, to now signify one with education to degree standard in Engineering.

MTQG knows a lot of things about stuff, and about engineering. I’d say he is certainly a form of engineer, if not an actual Engineer.

Anyway I find his threads fascinating which is all that matters quite frankly.

compositepro
    Free Member

I knew a bloke who designed a plane ….wasn’t an engineer was a carpenter …could use his hands though .

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have BEng and CEng. I’m a Software Engineer.

Nice axle BTW

Northwind

So are we getting any more bus pics?

RichPenny – Member

If I called for a mechanic and got an engineer I’d be disappointed

😀

An update on what’s been going on in the Engineering Department at work today. 😉

New bushes in the springs.

Lifting one of the springs in to place.

I think that’s an old Midland Red gearbox lift we inherited. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s older than me.

Two cracks welded, one of them ground down to mate with the spring saddle.

buses are the worst thing to work on after cars,

Definitely. So many times I look at something and think “If they had moved that bit half an inch that way, this bit would come out a lot easier.”
    They are built on a chassis, then a body is built round it all, with no thought about how anyone is going to get to the oily bits afterwards.

whats your opinion on the Alexander Dennis Enviro400 hybrid

I’ll let you know in 15 years time when they get “cascaded” down to us. 😀

Daniel, Series 1 80″ ? They look like 2B rims to me too.
    I did some major repairs to my 110 last year.
    I’ve only got one fuzzy picture of the join between the existing chassis and the new bit I welded on.

Edukator
    Free Member

I wonder how many engineers can weld like that? They’d stand over it muttering about X-rays, crack tests, weakening of the alloy due to welding and demand the fitting of a new part to cover their arse. Meanwhile the mechanic gets on with fixing it on the basis that even if it cracks again the suspension will sag enough to tell everyone there is something amiss before it fails catastrophically.

richmars

I wonder how many engineers can weld like that? They’d stand over it muttering about X-rays, crack tests, weakening of the alloy due to welding and demand the fitting of a new part to cover their arse. Meanwhile the mechanic gets on with fixing it on the basis that even if it cracks again the suspension will sag enough to tell everyone there is something amiss before it fails catastrophically.

Which is why we need good engineers AND mechanics. One isn’t ‘better’ then the other. Different skills, equally important, but don’t confuse them.

Good point, Richmars and I can’t see why people think a job title is so important.
    In the USA, train drivers are called Engineers.
    People who mend washing machines are called Service Engineers.
    In the bus industry, it’s just a left over term from the early days of motor transport when anyone who worked on engines was an Engineer.

“…even if it cracks again the suspension will sag enough to tell everyone there is something amiss before it fails catastrophically”
    The big clue with a rear axle is that the oil starts leaking out.
    They always crack where the axle sits on the spring saddle. The oil leak is easily visible, the crack its self can’t be seen until it’s all dismantled.

crikey
    Free Member

I suspect that the fundamental difference is that ‘engineers’ don’t take the bus to work.

dadandlad
    Free Member

Bradburys make the job so much easier
    Back in my day jack bus up (Daimler Fleetline’s)remove wheels,shackle pins,propshaft etc bolt on axle trolley,put pit boards down and push and shove axle from underneath.
    We even had pits so tight to get onto you had to jack rear of bus up put greasy boards under tyres,remove jacks and half a dozen men would push rear end of bus across to line up with pit and then drive on.

ratadog

Mind you, if I called for a first aider and got a doctor I’d be pleased.

That is of course based on the common but slightly dodgy assumption that somehow doctors can do first aid so much more brilliantly than first aiders. In fact, for most of my time, I practice third aid after the first aiders and community/primary care have had a go first. Despite 30 years of hospital and pre hospital care experience and training I am still significantly less effective at placing plasters in a neat and useful manner than most first aiders.

project
    Free Member

MidlandTrailquestsGraham – Member

buses are the worst thing to work on after cars,

Definitely. So many times I look at something and think “If they had moved that bit half an inch that way, this bit would come out a lot easier.”
    They are built on a chassis, then a body is built round it all, with no thought about how anyone is going to get to the oily bits afterwards.

whats your opinion on the Alexander Dennis Enviro400 hybrid

I’ll let you know in 15 years time when they get “cascaded” down to us.

Posted 9 hours ago # Report-Post

Wasnt the leyland National built without a chassis ,the bodywork acted as a chassis to hang the engine etc off, then there are the mercedes integrals.

We also seem to get ex london or scotland cascaded buses, as well.

meehaja
    Free Member

A lot of emergency ambulance staff are called technicians, though they do nothing technical… but anyway, my question MTG is;

I see lots of buses (well, maybe 2 a year) with engine fires. the always have the access flap open and a single comedy flame, about 4 inches tall emerging from the front of the engine (I’ve never looked closely at a bus engine, so couldn’t tell you specifically which bit)

This always seems strange to me, as I would have thought a diesel on fire would be a smokey mess, and by the time the engine actually goes up it would be a significant issue, yet its always the weird single flame? Any suggestions as to what is going on (I’ve not seen one this year yet).

thomthumb
    Free Member

nice post MTG, keep it up.

dadandlad
    Free Member

Went from working on psv’s to building these
    http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv57/markm16/800120011.jpg

RichPenny
    Free Member

That is of course based on the common but slightly dodgy assumption that somehow doctors can do first aid so much more brilliantly than first aiders.

No it isn’t. I’m a first aider so it isn’t an assumption it’s based on personal experience 😉

Project, I don’t know, they’re before my time.
    I know the bodywork, and even the glass, is structural on some coaches.

Meehaja, I don’t know what that is either.
    Bus engine compartments get very hot, it could be just a small oil leak getting on to the manifold maybe ? Even antifreeze can burn if vapourised on to a hot surface according to a “thermal incident” warning notice we had.

And to all those who think that buses are dull, do you get people peering through the fence where you work, writing down numbers and keeping track of what equipment you have got, then setting up a website all about it ? 😛
    http://www.reddibus.com/Vehicle%20Allocations.htm

project
    Free Member

MidlandTrailquestsGraham – Member
    And to all those who think that buses are dull, do you get people peering through the fence where you work, writing down numbers and keeping track of what equipment you have got, then setting up a website all about it ?
    http://www.reddibus.com/Vehicle%20Allocations.htm

Posted 1 hour ago # Report-Post

Puts hand up in shame, and then hides, before the naughty man in overalls shouts abuse at me and freinds.
    (well it was quite a few years ago, but i still love buses)

dadandlad
    Free Member

And to all those who think that buses are dull, do you get people peering through the fence where you work, writing down numbers and keeping track of what equipment you have got, then setting up a website all about it ?

Bus nutters

mc
    Free Member

Wasnt the leyland National built without a chassis ,the bodywork acted as a chassis to hang the engine etc off, then there are the mercedes integrals

Several buses/coaches have been built with integral chassis.
    Latest one I know of was the Plaxton R-Series with Dennis modules, which had a full stainless steel integral chassis, with a ZF independant suspension/steering module bolted on the front, and one of various engine/gearbox combos bolted on the back.
    Was the most powerful coach available when it was launched back in 2000, with the option of a Cummins ISC pushing out 410 horses, coupled via the then recently launched ZF AStronic 12speed ASM box (very impressive piece of engineering in it’s own right!).

And just to ensure they crammed as much of the latest technology as possible into it, it was also one of the first production coaches to use a full CAN bus system for the body electrics.

Only reason I know so much about it, was a relative bought the first production one, and I done a college presentation on the technology in it.
    The gearbox still fascinates me, as it contained no syncros, and instead relied on internal air brakes to match shaft speeds when changing up gear, and then double declutching to match speeds when changing down gears.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Which is why we need good engineers AND mechanics. One isn’t ‘better’ then the other. Different skills, equally important, but don’t confuse them

Some bicycle mechanics earlier…

Burls72
    Free Member

Nuts to the haters, threads like this are interesting, well to me anyway, better than the usual arguing about politics.

Just to throw another one into the mix, mechanics work on cars, fitters work on hgv’s and psv’s. Well thats what I always thought, my dad was a hgv fitter for 20 years. I was about to say how can you have an IT engineer then i looked it up on wiki

An engineer is a professional practitioner of engineering, concerned with applying scientific knowledge, mathematics and ingenuity to develop solutions for technical and practical problems. Engineers design materials, structures, machines and systems while considering the limitations imposed by practicality, safety and cost.[1][2] The word engineer is derived from the Latin root ingenium, meaning “cleverness”.[3]

Engineers are grounded in applied sciences, and their work in research and development is distinct from the basic research focus of scientists.[2] The work of engineers forms the link between scientific discoveries and their subsequent applications to human needs.[1]

Oh, and you shouldn’t really use a weave that big when mig welding otherwise you risk a lack of side wall fusion (3g coded welder, well I was) 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The term ‘Engineer’ to describe only those who have academic qualifications is elitist and divisive, although you do need some sort of distinction I spose otherwise people like my neighbour think they’re ‘engineers’. The bloke swore blind that the most important screw on a hanging basket bracket was the lower one. So I suggested he try hanging the basket off the bracket using only the lower screw. Even his dozy wife was squawking ‘he’s an engineer!’ at me, as though I’m some sort of thick ignoramus. Stupid cah. He’s forever correcting mistakes he’s made simply because he has such limited knowledge of engineering. Then he’s amazed that something simple I’ve done actually works quite well. 🙄

sobriety
    Free Member

I’m going to wade into this, as it’s a joking argument that I regularly have with my Dad, he too spends his working hours hitting busses with lump hammers, I spend my working hours designing bits of chemical plant, I’m an engineer (the one who designs stuff) he’s a mechanic/technician (the unfortunate sod who has to deal with someone like me’s lack of appreciation of ergonomics!)

Burls72
    Free Member

Call me suspicious but I think the reason everybody wants to be called an engineer rather than a mechanic etc is because engineers are better paid, or should.

Edit: Your dad’s a mechanical engineer 😉

sobriety
    Free Member

Edit: Your dad’s a mechanical engineer

🙄

😉

slartybartfast
    Free Member

This is an little engineering job i did a bit of work on. I am neither mechanic or engineer, but can make stuff.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘What I do at work. Bus in bits content.’ is closed to new replies.