• This topic has 21 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by mm93.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What Hudl 2 replacement – 2018
  • fifeandy
    Free Member

Hi folks,

I’m sure we’ve had loads of these threads before, but not for 2018 yet, so another one cant hurt.

Hudl was running slow last night, so turned it off – turning on again this morning gave a nasty UEFI secure boot screen. Same result for plugging charger in, or attempting factory reset. So i’m assuming either the SSD or motherboard have died.

Think its a bit over 4yrs old now though, so I guess its done a decent stint.

So – what’s good to replace it with? Don’t want to spend more than £200, ideally much less.
    Used for a mix of browsing, crappy free to play games and streaming twitch.
    HDMI out desirable for youtube MTB/CX races whilst on the turbo.
    One thing I really valued on the Hudl was the screen – quite smudge resistant, and after 4yrs not a scratch on it.

Murray

Amazon fire and Chromecast or Fire stick for the TV

paladin

I got a 10″ Amazon fire, and I really like it for watching tv, movies etc.
    What I don’t like, is the inability to use google chrome, or apps like strava, gmail, weatherpro.

windyg
    Free Member

What I don’t like, is the inability to use google chrome, or apps like strava, gmail, weatherpro.

Chrome is easy to install Amazon Fire chrome install

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

What he said, I got a fire 10 in the sales and it’s a 5 min job to install Google.

paladin

windyg – Member
    Chrome is easy to install

Can you sign in on chrome?

Cougar

Depending what games you’re playing, Huawei? Probably the best sub-£200 tablet out there currently.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/huawei-mediapad-m3-8-0-1327378/review

CraigW
    Free Member

Lenovo Tab 4 Plus. Mostly standard Android, so it will include the usual Google apps.

windyg
    Free Member

Can you sign in on chrome?

Yeah works the same as on a PC or phone, follow the steps in the link above.
    You can also install google play it’s a little bit more tricky to do.

BigJohn

I’ve recently bought a Lenovo Tab 4 8″ to replace my Hudl. £99 from Currys and very happy with it. No HDMI out, but a Chromecast might work.

mm93
    Free Member

Got a Amazon fire 8 recently,£50 from argos! ,and followed these instructions( which i got from singletrack i think) to install the play store and all the Google stuff which took about 3 minutes.If I can do it anyone can because I’m sh#t at anything like that.
    Amazing tablet for the money in my opinion.

How to Install Google Play Store on Kindle Fire

richardkennerley

I just got a Lenovo tab 4 plus. I got the 8″ as a replacement for an old nexus 7, as it’s a nice size to use as an e-reader. Was £150 and I’m well pleased so far. There’s very little unnecessary cr@p on it and it does what I need of it no problem. No HDMI out though, maybe the 10″ does.

fifeandy
    Free Member

That Lenovo 4 plus is looking pretty good for £150.
    Might nip round to PC world to see if I can have a look at one in the flesh.

GrahamS

Still using hudl 2 here, in fact we picked up another one at Christmas off for £65 to give to the mother-in-law.

paladin

mm93 – Member
    Got a Amazon fire 8 recently,£50 from argos! ,and followed these instructions( which i got from singletrack i think) to install the play store and all the Google stuff which took about 3 minutes.If I can do it anyone can because I’m sh#t at anything like that.

Ok I’ve done that, but I don’t get a shortcut on the homepage for any apps I’ve added (playstore, gmail) . How do I get that? And if I open gmail, it closes immediately, what’s going on there?

househusband

https://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-tab-4-plus-tablet-android-wi-fi-3gb-ram-16gb-8-full-hd/p3265684

Another vote for the Lenovo Tab 4 Plus 8″. Two arrived last week and I’m mighty impressed; very clean Android with minimal, if any noticeable, Lenovo bloatware.

windyg
    Free Member

paladin – Member

mm93 – Member Ok I’ve done that, but I don’t get a shortcut on the homepage for any apps I’ve added (playstore, gmail) . How do I get that? And if I open gmail, it closes immediately, what’s going on there?

Did you follow the instructions exactly? you must do them in the exact order for it work, if not uninstall and start again.

mm93
    Free Member

Well I may have spoke too soon.Plugged mine in tonight and some of the apps updated and now won’t work.Tried uninstalling and re installing but no difference.Gmail is doing the same for me ,is opening and then closing immediately.Hmmm.

paladin

mm93 – Member
    Well I may have spoke too soon.Plugged mine in tonight and some of the apps updated and now won’t work.Tried uninstalling and re installing but no difference.Gmail is doing the same for me ,is opening and then closing immediately.Hmmm.

I reckon I downloaded the files in the wrong order first time, but installed in correct order. Uninstalled them, deleted them, then tried again correctly for the same results plus i got problems with other apps which I had previously downloaded from amazon. Did a factory reset on it, and I’ll stop buggering about with it now.

karnali
    Free Member

On an amazon fire or kindle fire can you download and read pdf’s?

midlifecrashes

On an amazon fire or kindle fire can you download and read pdf’s?

Yes, no problem. Fire HD8 here, with Google Play installed according to instructions on YouTube. No problem with installing or running any standard android apps since, though to be fair to Amazon, lots of usual apps are on their appstore, I think the choice was more limited years ago, but not so bad now.

mm93
    Free Member

Well the apps on my fire that were playing up after the updates have sorted themselves out ,except gmail ,but that’s not a problem as my gmail email is working fine in the built in email app ( if that makes sense)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What Hudl 2 replacement – 2018’ is closed to new replies.