Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What hub…..
  • bristolbiker
    Free Member

….135mm spacing, fixed gear (will consider SS hubs if all else fails), disc (centrelock preferred, but 6 bolt will do) in silver, oh and not cost the earth!

Does such a thing exist? Thanks in advance…

CraigW
    Free Member

There aren’t many fixed disc hubs available.
    Surly make one, but its 6-bolt, and only seems to be available in black.
    Or Phil Wood, but they are also 6 bolt, and very expensive.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Fair enough – maybe SS then, rather than fixed. I think Superstar etc do something for ~£60? Thanks.

EDIT: Looks liek the Surly hub is availabel in silver…. or maybe one of these would sort me out – build a centrelock, fixed, Shimano hub. Hmmmmm – food for thought….

http://surlybikes.com/parts/fixxer

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Have a look at gusset and DMR, both might do something that fits the bill!

simon1975

Yes, DMR do their Revolver for 6-bolt disc and screw-on freewheel. If you want to run it fixed get a bolt-on cog to replace the disc rotor.

The Surly hub eats bearings.

Quite a few options on Tartybikes too, but I have no experience of any of them – I suspect not good in mud since they’re designed for street/trials.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Yes, DMR do their Revolver for 6-bolt disc and screw-on freewheel. If you want to run it fixed get a bolt-on cog to replace the disc rotor

I want to run it fixed AND a disc – I think what you are saying would mena one or the other.

The Surly hub eats bearings.

Winter road riding only – still a problem, d’ya think?

EDIT: Good shout for Tartybikes – thanks – looks like I can get something to fit the bill.

flange
    Free Member

Tartybikes is a good call – I’ve got one of those (an Onza) in my trials bike because the freewheel is on the cranks.

Failing that, there are cheap King ss hubs knocking about, or Hope if you can’t find one

Although the fixie lot might say that if you’re running fixed, you don’t need a rear brake….

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Although the fixie lot might say that if you’re running fixed, you don’t need a rear brake….

Quite right…. and if I had an ounce of self belief in my own abilities I would knock the rear disc on the head….. but I don’t 😉

flange
    Free Member

I use the brakes far more on my fixie than any other bike – I’m just not boss enough to hold 160rpm cadence going down hills or brake with my legs (and i find it gives me quite a bit of knee pain).

I’m assuming you’re Bristol based but if not, you can borrow my fixie pomp for a week to see how you get on before splashing on a new rear wheel…

bristolbiker
    Free Member

flange – very very generous, yes Bristol based.

I have had a wobble to work before on a front-brake-track-bike, which was fun in a saddistic/mentalist kind of way, so I have some idea what I’m letting myself in for.

This is just idle thinking for the moment – I want to try my Pompetamine without the Alfine and am weighing up how much that might cost. I might yet woss-out and do it with an SS sub, or get a fixxer and convert my spare geared commuter wheels for the winter…..

flange
    Free Member

To be honest you could probably sell the Alfine and fund both wheels. But if you’re planning on keeping it, I think your choice depends on what type of terrain you ride. My route to work is 25 miles of fairly hilly roads and its the down hills that kill me. Nothing too steep to make me feel like I’m in too high a gear, but on the other side its chuffing hard work and you don’t get any time to recover before hitting the next hill. Graft!

I ran an SS bike last winter and very much enjoyed it, but feel i get more of a work out on the fixed. That said, I think the fixed is actually easier than riding a geared bike to and from work – with gears I tend to push myself harder where as with fixed you just sit there and spin on the flat bits. Once you’re used to it and worked out that you actually free-wheel a lot more than you think you do it becomes quite enjoyable. I’d always planned to flip the wheel and run it SS when I bought the bike, but so far I’m enjoying it too much to bother

simon1975

If you definitely want to run a disc brake on a fixed hub then I think you’re stuck with the Surly; or splash out on Paul Components or Phil Wood. The disc hubs from Tartybikes don’t have threads for a lockring.

Gotama
    Free Member

Bristol – why don’t you just drill out a cheap track sprocket to fit the disk bolts on your alfine and run it as a fixie without the rear brake for a bit? Could take all the alfine cables off and run the wheel back to front or alternatively swap the cranks over and run the drive on the left side of the bike. You’ll get an idea as to whether you need a rear brake or not. I’d guess not as you can trim speed with your front brake and do the rest with your legs.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Bristol – why don’t you just drill out a cheap track sprocket to fit the disk bolts on your alfine and run it as a fixie without the rear brake for a bit?

So, I get all the weight of the Alfine, but not gears! 😉 I want to go back to the Alfine, just want to try out fixed/ss. I’m leaning towards a fixxer, as I have a spare set of wheels and can chop and change between fixed/ss with a single wheel.

The disc hubs from Tartybikes don’t have threads for a lockring.

Really? I thought this ticked all the boxed (bar centrelock), but I am entering new terrain, for me, here….

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/135mm_fixed_hubs/because_rear_disc/c21p11318.html

Gotama
    Free Member

Yep, if you’ve got spare wheels my suggestion is pretty friday afternoon. 😳

And yes, that tartybikes one will work, no idea on quality of hub though.

flange
    Free Member

You’ll find the tarty rear hubs are pretty good quality wise because they take a lot of load due to the nature of trials.

CraigW
    Free Member

Really? I thought this ticked all the boxed (bar centrelock), but I am entering new terrain, for me, here….

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/135mm_fixed_hubs/because_rear_disc/c21p11318.html
    From the photo, it looks like that just has a single thread for a sprocket. It doesn’t have a smaller reverse thread for a lockring.

Its debatable whether you actually need a lockring for fixed anyway. I think if you screw the sprocket on tight, then ride up a few hills as hard as you can, the sprocket should be screwed on very securely. Its unlikely to unscrew, unless you are regularly leg-braking or skid-stopping.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What hub…..’ is closed to new replies.