Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • what hiking trainers?
  • Keva
    Free Member

I need some new trainers for hiking. I currently have an old pair (bought 2005) of Meindl GTX that have been brilliant but they’re now rather knackered. I’ve had a look in Blacks and a couple of other outdoor shops and it seems there’s quite a few on the market from North face, Salomon, Berghaus etc the usual names. They’ll be used mainly for all day walks in Snowdonia.

creamegg
    Free Member

Im happy with my Salomons and would happily get another pair after these die. The sole is quite soft though and wears quickly as a result

DezB
    Free Member

Salomon or Teva. (Keva’s Tevas has a nice ring 😉 )

I’ve got Tevas that I wear for all sorts and they are a bit more comfortable than the Salomons. Salomons are bulletproof though.
    (Don’t go North Face, mine fell to bits.)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I had Tevas. Fell apart. Twice. Not impressed.

I replaced them with some Haglofs which are lovely.

chrisa87
    Free Member

Slight hijack, I’ve read that a lot of salomon gore-tex waterproof shoes/boots leak very quickly from new. Has anyone had this experience?

titusrider
    Free Member

haglofs

or merrell as a second best

DezB
    Free Member

I had Tevas. Fell apart. Twice. Not impressed.

I have heard that before. Luckily mine are lasting really well. Great for rugby training as they are waterproof.

Cougar

Salomon or Berghaus would be my choice.

I’ve had two pairs of Sal’s on the bounce that I’ve used as day-to-day footware and wouldn’t hesitate to buy a third when the current pair die. (Salomon Vega, if memory serves; on offer at Go Outdoors every once in a while.)

When shopping for walking boots and after trying every pair in the shop, I plumped for a Berghaus GTX offering and they’ve (sorry) not put a foot wrong since I bought them.

I know you’re not looking for exactly what I’ve bought, but if they’re anything to go by as an example of the brand then I can’t recommend either highly enough.

Jamie
    Free Member

I bought some Merrell Moab Vents from John Lewis last week, £40 in the sale. Think they are stopping selling them so banging them out for 50% RRP. Seem comfy enough, so might be worth having a look/ringing local JL store.

….on a side note, they size weird. 9s in most things, but needed a 10.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

salomon. never had a single leak from the goretex pairs I own (until they were thoroughly knackered after a few years of wear)

had some meindl boots before that which were pretty good, too.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@cfh reassuringly expensive I imagine !

I’ve finally worn out my Salomons and will get another pair, the GTX look good to me. EDIT: I’ve just noticed they have a variety of shoes with GTS, you can get more hiking shoe type or more running type, I have the hiking / approach shoe type. I have some North Face boots which have been very good too, so I have brand loyalty there also.

Keva
    Free Member

Those Haglofs do look nice cfh, I’ll have to find somewhere that stocks those so I can try them on.

Philby

There are still some models still on sale at Cotswold Outdoors and Blacks which may suit you including Berghaus and Brasher.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jambalaya, not the cheapest, certainly, but as the old adage goes, spend good money on your boots and your bed. If you’re not in one, you’re in the other.

MSP

I quite like the five the camp four, maybe not quite as trainery as some.

http://www.rockrun.com/five-ten-camp-four/

I have found hagloffs and five ten to have a proper shaped toe box, rather than the pointed italian last that many seem to use for approach shoes.

u02sgb
    Free Member

Which of these are good for wide feet? I remember being told the salomons were pretty narrow, that still the case?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve got some Teva’s & wide feet, very comfy in mine & I’ve just worn them for 2 weeks walking around a volcanic island & theyr’e still top notch. My 1st Salomons were bombproof but my last pair wore out really quickly. Also got some North Face Goretex jobbies which are performing well.
    Take your pick!

vondally
    Free Member

five tens very impressed bought cheap from rock and run

salomons quite poor limited support and cushioning

beefy

Can I please thoroughly recommend some Walsh Spirit Peak shoes? Old Skool, but so comfy and grip like nothing else. Get these and some seal skins for the ultimate, worn them in all sorts of conditions and they are brill.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘what hiking trainers?’ is closed to new replies.