Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • What helmets do people wear for xc/singletrack riding advice needed please
  • pimpmyride
    Free Member

Right then bit of help needed, I just got rid of my Bullit and i’m in the process of building up an awesome Cove Stiffee.
    Thing is I always wore a Fullface and goggles with the Bullit as I ride like a total nutcase! but going to calm down a bit now.
    I want to scale it down a bit as when I ride uphill or not so gnarly trail centres I used to get conscious that I looked like a noooob head!
    But I suppose I really needed it.
    I won’t be riding as crazy on the Stiffee and wondered if a piss pot and clear glasses would be ok as I just don’t feel comfertable wearing a normal helmet 🙁

What do you guys wear and for what style riding?

Cheers stu

Simon

Giro Hex for general messing about in the woods and on the moors, and occasional trail centre stuff.

AndyP
    Free Member

Giro Atmos for all riding

mamadirt
    Free Member

Pi$$pot for everything. Considering a full-face for d/h though I’m not sure my speed warrants one 😉

crazy-legs

Specialized 2D for all my riding but then I R XC jeyboy (and roadie).

Guilliano
    Free Member

Spesh 2D here as well. Also have a Giro Xen but the 2D is so much more comfortable and a lot cooler

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Wear whatever helmet you feel most comfortable in, doesn’t matter what others think.

I use a Xen unless i’m dhing, then its a D2.

KonaTC

Wear whatever helmet you feel most comfortable in, doesn’t matter what others think.

Spot on 😀

mrmo
    Free Member

met inferno

sharki
    Free Member

I like the cover of the Xen, suits my lack of style.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

met veleno for everything. but then I don’t ride like a nutter. cos I get scared innit.

maxsatnav
    Free Member

one more for thr XEN here

comfortable and good coverage

and i needed it today at CYB 😳

bassspine
    Free Member

Xen +1

IA

Whatever fits best – I do occasionally think folk mincing about trail centres etc. look a bit daft in the full-faces/fake-faces (things with the detachable chin guards) but then I think – maybe they crash a lot? In which case fair enough, they’re wearing kit appropriate for them.

Northwind

I wear a Hex, kind of wish I’d gone for a Xen sometimes but it’s still a good, comfy, protective helmet. I’ve got a Bell Faction as well but it’s just sooooo hot, it’s become my winter helmet.

A mate of mine wears a Met Parachute, which is one of the sort-of-full-face XC lids… It looks a bit odd, but I do like it, people make the mistake of treating it as though it’ll be as protective as a DH helmet, which it isn’t, it’s more an XC helmet with a bit of extra protection, and it does well for that. He’s already very ugly and terrified of becoming even more hideously disfigured.

mikey74
    Free Member

I personally think those xc full-facers look soooo flimsy and surely must offer no extra protection: It does nothing to protect the chin and the face guard just looks like it would act as a lever to try and rip the helmet off your head. I knew someone who crashed while wearing one and the face guard bit just snapped off and turned into a razor blade.

By the way, I wear a Giro Xen, which also replaced another Xen, and think they are excellent helmets.

atlaz
    Free Member

Xen for me.

RDL-82
    Free Member

A vote for the Giro Hex here comfy light and not too hot.
    But at the end of the day whatever you are comfy in and going to wear happily.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

met Veleno off road.

Giro Atmos on road.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

stuartlangwilson – Member

absolutely. I have a pisspot and a XC helmet. the pisspot gets worn when jumping mainly – Its too hot to ride uphill in but I believe it offers more protection. If am going to be wearing one most of the day then its the vented XC one. If bike eating bogs are the main danger and drowning the main risk its a flat cap or nowt.

rOcKeTdOg

fox flux with spoilers ahoy! and good rear coverage

DustyLilac
    Free Member

TSG superlight – XC light, Pi$$pot cool.

JxL
    Free Member

Limited visibility, but it compensates by raw strength and protection!

rich-6
    Free Member

Giros Hex its as comfy as a XEn only half the price 😀 Its used for trail centres and the moors

Philby

Giro Havoc for off and on road.

gingerflash

I really don’t like the look of the Xen or Hex.

I use a Giro E3 and Animas for mountain biking. Both fit me well and I like the styling.

njee20
    Free Member

2D for me.

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Giro Xen for everything here.

hicksville
    Free Member

Giro pnuemo…top of the range a couple of years ago great for xc stuff but limited rear coverage but saved my head when hitting the tarmac at 30mph. 50.00 quid off ebay new St Johns cycles.

or TSG superlight borrowed one off my daughter, very good

njee20
    Free Member

Agree on the Pneumo, awesome helmet, I miss mine, the Atmos I replaced it with is nowhere near as comfy, and actually the 2D is better than both.

Surfr
    Free Member

Giro Skyline for Xc, TT and anything else on 2 wheels. Just looked it up and it seems to be a cheapie youth helmet but it suits me fine.

zaskar
    Free Member

Bell Sweep.

Only xc though.

njee20
    Free Member

Skyline’s the adult one, Skyla is the women’s version, Flume is the youth version. Not bad helmets if you’re on a budget.

allyharp

Just bought myself a Met Kaos Ultimate. Only ridden it for 3 days but it seems rather good.

I just couldn’t get a good fit with Giro, which is a pain as there’s so many LBSs which sell Giro and not much else. Medium will fit on my head but definitely wouldn’t be comfy for long. Large fits over my head ok but I have to close in the adjusters a lot and it can still be moved quite easily, and also the shell seems to look massive on my head!

Xen here

matt_outandabout

Uvex XP100 – bestest fitting helmet I ever had, proper all round and over the head cradle.

gingerflash

I have a Penumo and Atmos for the road too. Atmos is the comfiest helmet I’ve tried so far.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Hex for cold weather (bought when they were cheap) and a Giro Ionos for anything slightly warm or requiring hard effort. Hex is noticeably much hotter than Ionos, but was a lot lot cheaper…

nukeproof
    Free Member

Giro Indicator 😀

…broke my ‘expensive’ helmet so started using my wife’s Indicator about a year ago. Does the job so I’ve never bothered replacing my one.

Guilliano
    Free Member

I had the same problem with Giro helmets…. had to buy a large for the comfort when a medium fitted. I have an odd shaped head due to a couple of skull fractures when I played football though. The medium Spesh 2D fits perfectly, although still looks a little large on my bald pate. As I work in a bike shop I’ll give the same advice I do to all customers….. buy the smallest one that’s comfortable so you get the closest and most secure fit. TRY lots on!!!! Even different helmets from the same brand will be different fits

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘What helmets do people wear for xc/singletrack riding advice needed please’ is closed to new replies.