Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What helmet for 'riding around town'?
  • wwaswas

ie. taking the kids to school by bike, family outings, trips to the shops etc…

I want something that doesn't make me look like I'm a wannabe xc racer.

Some of the Bern ones look ok, POC or THE F-14, maybe even a Casco Emotion (but that's a bit too 'Euro-scooter rider' maybe).

I've got a 59cm skull too so something relatively close fitting that drops down behind my ears would be good. Ventilation not of massive importance.

any experiences?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dont bother if your just doing easy going stuff

druidh
    Free Member

MET Camaleonte is a nice "town" helmet. Good coverage, urban styling.

wwaswas

davidtaylforth – I haven't been but an off earlier this week has left me with a lot less skin on one arm and a shoulder, a badly bruised hip and a lingering sense that I was lucky my head didn't hit the deck too.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i'd just get a decent one that you could use for everything – a helmet's a helmet, once you're wearing it i woudn't worry too much about whether anyone notices what it looks like unless you're wearing one of these:

😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

Don't bother – 70% or people who cycle around the town around me don't 😉

J0N
    Free Member

None. It'll ruin your hair then your kids really won't think your cool.

Or flatboy's suggestion 🙂

wwaswas

I don't have any hair and I'm not sure I could be much less cool in my kids eyes anyway 🙁

maybe a POC receptor flow.

juan
    Free Member

get one that is as flashy as possible… That would be my only advice

StefMcDef
    Free Member

The missus gets junk mail from this Pedlars mob. Not bike stuff as the name might suggest – they seem to major in hugely over-priced "design classics", but this might be of interest:

Nutcase Bike Helmets

Haven't got one so can't recommend them one way or the other, but it sounds/looks like the kind of thing you're after.

jam-bo

POC is nice but pricey. I bought one cos of the colour.

new giro ones look pretty slimline.

Coyote
    Free Member

Same helmet as I wear everywhere else.

Tess
    Free Member

"The best helmet to wear is the one on your head" – this was the advice proffered by an A and E doctor to a friend when she asked the same question after being knocked off her bike by a bus and woke up 48 hours later…..

odannyboy
    Free Member

a lovely felt trilbey dear boy, and plus fours! what, what!!

odannyboy
    Free Member

or a flat cap backwards if your a bit nifty, and dont hang about!

highclimber
    Free Member

Even a small fall on your head can cause a lot of damage. I most certainly would not take this advice!

sonik
    Free Member

get a piss-pot! good coverage, cool, and cheap!!!

wwaswas

got a MET Camaleonte Executive from Wiggle – very impressed – looks nice even on my bulbous head.

Executive doesn't mean you get a leather swivel chair with it – it's got an LED in the back of the helmet.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Just wear what ever you have if you want to wear a helmet in town, although personally I think peaks look a bit silly around town.

highclimber – Member

Even a small fall on your head can cause a lot of damage. I most certainly would not take this advice!

Which is why I'm sure you ware a helmet for all activities.

IA

I often think folk that worry about how they look in a helmet round town must be the same folk that go bald and wear a wig.

It's just totally back-to-front logic.

If you see a bald guy, you don't go "OMG A BALD PERSON!" but you might have a giggle at an obvious wig.

Similarly, you don't think "OMG A CYCLIST WITH A HELMET ON!", but I occasionally think folk should have a helmet on

(yes yes, anti-helmet brigade, you don't need to wear one. I said I "think" – my opinion, you're entitled to yours).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What about bald people in wigs not wearing helmets whilst cycling?

ourmaninthenorth

What about bald people in wigs not wearing helmets whilst cycling?

No More Nails.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What helmet for 'riding around town'?’ is closed to new replies.