Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What heart rate monitor strap? Mine's busted….
  • stumpy01

Bit boring, but the Garmin HRM strap that came with my Edge 500 appears to have died. I can’t really grumble, because it must be over 7 years old.

Looking for a replacement – preferably at the cheaper end of the spectrum.
    Any recommendations, or probably more importantly ones to avoid?

Wiggle do a Lifeline one for £24 that looks like it’s worth a punt if nothing else gets a mention.

chakaping
    Free Member

Watching with interest.

stumpy01

chakaping – Member

Watching with interest.

That’s gotta be sarcasm, surely?! 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

OK, mild curiosity.

😀

bobfleming

Hi Stumpy
    Have used polar soft strap with my edge 500 for past few years.
    Seems far more reliable. Was about £15. May have to slightly trim rubber bits where sensor clips on.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

I have an original Garmin HR strap which is of the semi- rigid plastic type with an elastic strap on the back which is getting a bit baggy now & adjusted as tight as it will go. I recently bought a ‘spare’ one ‘as new’ off eBay for about £5 plus postage = bargain. I do also have a Wahoo Tickr HR strap which is Ant+ and BT – but I do like the robustness of the old Garmin ones.

stumpy01

Ah. I think that my use of the word ‘strap’ has confused the issue.

It is the actual device itself that has failed, rather than the strap.
    I assumed it was the battery (as it’s still on the original), but changed that & my Garmin won’t find it or my ANT+ dongle for Zwift.

So, I need the whole shebang – not just a replacement bit of elastic.

scruff9252

After my one died, I got a replacement from Decathlon. Works as it should.

flyingmonkeycorps

I have a Garmin one that I don’t use (I broke the watch it works with, plus never really used it anyway) if you want it. Not after any money but if you wanted to donate to a charity I wouldn’t mind 🙂

docgeoffyjones

There is a way to reset the monitor if the battery has been replaced, but it is not being picked up by the unit.

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/cycling/edge-500/27067-heart-rate-monitor-disappeared?t=25874

Betamax
    Free Member

Lifeline from Wiggle works well so far (2 weeks), better than the Garmin one it replaced.

teamslug
    Free Member

Ive got a wahoo one after my garmin died. Been good so far. About a year and only one battery change. Ant+ and BLE I think too. Reliable but expensive

Keando

+ 1 Polar Soft Strap. Used for a number of years with no issues.

stumpy01

docgeoffyjones – Member

There is a way to reset the monitor if the battery has been replaced, but it is not being picked up by the unit.

Ah, yes I found something about this earlier. I will give it a whirl tonight & see what happens.

flyingmonkeycorps – Member

I have a Garmin one that I don’t use (I broke the watch it works with, plus never really used it anyway) if you want it. Not after any money but if you wanted to donate to a charity I wouldn’t mind

Cheers; that’s very thoughtful of you. I might take you up on that. Will happily give you some cash for it, or make a donation to something like World Bicycle Relief.
    I’ll let you know how I get on with the ‘reset’ thing above first & take it from there. Ta.

Betamax – Member

Lifeline from Wiggle works well so far (2 weeks), better than the Garmin one it replaced.

Good to hear, thanks.

teamslug – Member

Ive got a wahoo one after my garmin died. Been good so far. About a year and only one battery change. Ant+ and BLE I think too. Reliable but expensive

The battery in my Garmin one has so far managed around 7 years, I reckon. Or perhaps I’ve not had my Edge 500 as long as I think. At least 5 years anyway. I guess if the Wahoo one does BLE as well, that’ll probably eat into battery life.
    I’m trying to stay away from ‘expensive’ if I can! 🙂

jonnyboi

I would consider getting one that works with Bluetooth as well as ant+

bit of future proofing, especially if you want to eventually use app based training tools such as trainer road

schmiken

I also have the Lifeline one, works very well.

leffeboy

My daughter used the decathlon one with her Garmin watchm. Works fine

TiRed

I have the Wahoo BT one. I also have a Powercal. The Powercal replaced a failed Garmin strap, and the Wahoo was for Zwift iOS. The Wahoo has noticeably fewer spikes than the Powercal. The Powercal provides a reasonable estimate of average power – and 30 second power too.

The BT is absolutely seemless on my iPad, and I’d recommend it.

markforrest

Im using a Wahoo Tickr with my Lezyne GPS and it works faultlessly.

CraigW
    Free Member

Mio Link or Mio Fuse. Much more comfortable than a chest strap in my experience. Transmits Ant+ and BLE.

stumpy01

Wahoo! The ‘short the contacts’ before sticking the battery back in trick worked!!

Thanks all….

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What heart rate monitor strap? Mine's busted….’ is closed to new replies.