Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • What headset press?
  • sandwicheater

Fitting/removing a headset and building/truing a wheel are the only two things I’ve not attempted and it’s high time I sorted that. Starting with headsets.

Quick web search shows some headset presses sub £40 but all a little vague on whether they will fit tapered headsets.

Any advice/recommendations for headset presses that work well and won’t break the bank.

Also, will all headset removers work on tapered headsets or is it the same problem, you need to choose one that flares enough?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I bought the less expensive Park Tool headset press. Its rubbish. I always use a small soft faced mallet, a very careful eye and a considered approach.
    For removing I have a length of brass bar that I use to flog them out with.

Yak

Works well enough if you are careful. Other techniques involving posh tools or threaded bars and bits of metal are available though.

bonesetter
    Free Member

The home made version is best 🙂

wwaswas

The Cyclus one is quite good and they do ‘pressy inny bits’ that work with 1.5/tapered headsets.

hora
    Free Member

alu frames – I use a threaded rod bought from B&Q with matching metal plates and bolts, you simply wind down the bolts using a big wrench.

Carbon frames though- tbh I’d get it done at a bikeshop.

nbt

As above, iI made my own with threaded road, washers and bolts.

RustyMac

I have used a mallet and a block of wood, this worked, took a while but worked.
    I have used a home made threaded rod and washers set up, this was a total PITA, couldn’t get the cups to sit strait to get a good press in.
    Bought the Cyclus press from Rose bikes and it makes the whole process painless. I need to look to source some more adapters for it for 44mm headsets and 1.5″ cups, they sell a 1 1/2 version but i don’t know if that comes with the 1 1/8 adapter as well.

The key part that seems to make the difference is the section that supports the headset from the inside of the cup to help hold it strait.

cakefacesmallblock

Key thing for me, with my plywood and threaded rod set up was to use a thickish plywood (24mm) with an M10 rod and square washers. With the hole drilled accurately in the plywood, the rod will try to stay relatively perpendicular to the plywood.
    I just run very fine emery round the leading edge of the cup, spot o grease and good to go. 95% first time here. Unless I’m just lucky , of course. That’s the next one jinxed !

reedspeed
    Free Member

Soft faced hammer or just make one with some threaded bar !,don’t be buyin one .

hot_fiat

Seem to remember bodging one one night before the Malverns with a bottle jack, some bricks and the kitchen window frame. 😈

cookeaa

alu frames – I use a threaded rod bought from B&Q with matching metal plates and bolts, you simply wind down the bolts using a big wrench.

Carbon frames though- tbh I’d get it done at a bikeshop.

And the LBS will just use a posher version of the threaded rod with some big washers, it’s normally blue, has “Park” written on it is Marked up by about ~500% but fundamentally works exactly the same and the operator is no more likely to know what he’s doing than you… Still it’s your money…

BoardinBob

Cups in the freezer for a few hours and they almost fall straight into the headtube and then some gentle taps to get them home

hora
    Free Member

I got mine after NBT recommended it years ago and believe me…its seen a couple of frames..

gonzy
    Free Member

Cups in the freezer for a few hours

how big is your freezer??

sandwicheater

I like the idea of the home made bodge and I’ve some M8 bar in the cella and loads of wood (snigger). Will report back.

I assume a few beers before hand and during are a must?

fooman

I’ve tried using a clamp with no success, I normally use the hammer and wood method but paired it down to just using a length of wood baton to tap them in. I look like a caveman doing bike maintenance.

hora
    Free Member

I look like a caveman doing bike maintenance.

I keep a claw hammer in my biketool box in the car. It really is worth its weight in gold for bike maintenance. Obviously you use it skillfully not like a blacksmith shaping horse shoes 😀

Speeder

Mine was 2nd hand off eBay – no idea of the make but it works well

stenhousemuir
    Free Member

Just use a vice with soft jaws

benji
    Free Member

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cyclus-headset-press/

Works a treat, for headsets and pressfit bottom brackets.

Sorry claw hammers are one tool that just infuriate me, they are for joinery not engineering.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

have used the homemade rod and washer method.. not difficult just proceed slowly and carefully

leftyboy
    Free Member

+1 for Cyclus one, works well. My night riding buddies and I share tools so we have most tools in our ‘collection’ which means we share the cost.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

how big is your freezer??

Dunno about his headset cups but mine are about the size of a headset & would fit in a small space in our freezer. Have you got a freezer out of a doll’s house? 😉

sandwicheater

@Benji & Leftyboy. Does that Cyclus work with 1.5″ headsets? Reviews say both yes and no.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Mine does as it included some adaptors, I think I got it from CRC if that helps?

gonzy
    Free Member

Dunno about his headset cups but mine are about the size of a headset & would fit in a small space in our freezer. Have you got a freezer out of a doll’s house?

my bad! i’d read it wrong and thought it said that the cups fell out of the headtube after freezing… 😳

granny_ring

Lefty, which size press did you get? Can you double check if you did get adapters for 1.5″, !.25″ & 1 1/8″ as I thought you had to get the individual press for the sizes? Thanks.

Another vote for a Cyclus press, got the 1 1/8″ one and it makes it an easy job.

nemesis
    Free Member

A proper headset press is a lovely thing to use.

But I use wood/hammer or threaded bar/nuts/washers which work fine so long as you’re not a complete lummox.

nemesis
    Free Member

Sorry claw hammers are one tool that just infuriate me, they are for joinery not engineering.

Fitting a headset is not engineering. HTH 😉

ransos
    Free Member

Threaded bar and enormous washers for me – works a treat.

chip
    Free Member

X tools one I have (don’t know why I turned all yoda there).
    Works a treat.
    Linky

benji
    Free Member

Fitting a headset is not engineering. HTH

Well it’s not topiary ELH (even less helpful, had to google hth) 😛 😆

iamtheresurrection

After years of using hammer and wood on King headsets I treat myself this year to a Park HP2.

Sadly five from six of my bikes now use press fit or integrated. I may have left it 20 years too late to really benefit: still, it is lovely.

The Cyclus ones for £80 less are pretty much the same…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I think the Cyclus from Rose has the 1.5mm adapters

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘What headset press?’ is closed to new replies.