Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What headset for less than £30?
  • simon1975

Standard 1 1/8" for an occasional bike.

Looking at Cane Creek S3? I've had an FSA Orbit II before in this price range and thought it was poo.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

If you thought FSA XL2 was rubbish you either had a naff one, or fitted it wrong. Its the best for the price.

wwaswas

Race Face Dues from On-one looks a bargin (I think All Terrain were doing them cheap too?)

simon1975

Bearings went gritty in the first couple of months. Re-greased but there was already some play developing. Thought that the seals were poor, especially the push-in cover for the lower cup.

simon1975

Deus looks good with stainless bearings, I wonder what the seals are like… Anyone had experience of that one?

warpcow
    Free Member

I've had a Cane Creek S3 for a couple of years now, still seems to be doing fine. I was tempted by the Deus from On One, when I got my latest bike but heard reports of rubbish seals. Went with an FSA instead, no complaints.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Agree that the push in cover isn't the best- but properly greased from the word go the headset is solid. Bearings are well sealed.

rp16v
    Free Member

sunline v-one for me riding all conditions un looked after bike and still buttery smooth.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

This seems a decent saving too.. FSA Xtreme

yesiamtom
    Free Member

I picked up a can creek S3 from CRC for £25 a month back. All i can say is its an amazing headset. 100 times better than the M sport piece of shit one i had before. The front end is stiffer and smoother also!

simon1975

Well as long as no-one reports problems with the S3 I'll buy that. Widely available at £25.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I'd also have said FSA XL2 – I've had a couple and they've been no trouble.

stumpy01

I've had a Cane Creek S3 in my bike for about 2 yrs now, may be more and it's still really smooth.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I am afraid I have to agree that the Orbit MX II was sh1te. I am fully capable of fitting a headset and greasing bearings 🙂 And the sealing was shocking and I have packed in grease amny times but the top cover is not even remotely sealed. I have dumped it twice and replaced with Hopes – the sealing is much better and the stainless means if mud gets in (most often if bikes are jet washed IMHO ) then the SS bearings are ace. £55 from Winstanleys but out of you price range. Failing that prob go for Cane Creek depending on your budget – won't touch another FSA budget headset ever.

Question: people with FSA Orbit MXII – ride long rides in really mucky wet weather? Clean your bikes frequently?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What headset for less than £30?’ is closed to new replies.