Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What headset?
  • palmer77
    Free Member

I recently fitted a Cane Creek Tank Jump on a second hand Chameleon with 2003 Marzocchi Z1 Drop Off with ETA travel lock-out. The ETA control lever hits the underside of the frame on full lock. Now I’m not known for my bar-spins or tail whips, but I am concerned that if I were to crash the ETA control may be damaged. I’ve unscrewed this and taken it off at the moment but also want to change the headset as it is showing some signs of wear.

The Cane Creek headset has a 12.8mm bottom stack height. My question is this, if I replace this with a Hope headset which has a bottom stack height of 14.1mm will this solve the problem?

Additionally I want to get a headset that will be reasonably good for the next two or three years. Would you recommend the Hope over the Chris King? The CK has a bottom stack height of 13.7mm but at £100.00 instead of £60.00 for the Hope one I’m undecided which to go for.

Someone also suggested putting a spacer underneath the crown race, anyone done this, is it safe?

Thanks

palmer77
    Free Member

Bump

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Spacer = bad
    chopping down the ETA lever until you’ve got just enough to work with = good
    The ETA controls are smooth and easy to turn, so I’d go with a *ahem* tiny knob.

Seamus
    Free Member

Very pleased with my hope headset, you can also get a crown race for the Hope headset that gives an extra 3mm of clearance. Costs less than £10 and may give you the extra clearance you need.

palmer77
    Free Member

Hey,

Is that the standard Hope crown race or an extra large one? If so where did you find it?

Thanks

PJay
    Free Member

What about a Cane Creek Plus 5? I think that there are a number of headset with taller lower cups for just this eventuality (I think there’s an On-One Smoothie too).

palmer77
    Free Member

Good call on the Plus 5, but the reviews on the seals are not so good. Some people talking of a high baseplate/crown race. Anyone know where to get these?

Seamus
    Free Member

There is some info on the hope website about the thicker crown race, it is not the standard one, should be available from your LBS

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

+1 for Hope.

palmer77
    Free Member

Hey,

I looked on the Hope site and couldn’t get any info. Do you have a link?

Thanks

Seamus
    Free Member

see last paragraph for aftermarket crown race

http://www.hopegb.com/voir_HSX.html

palmer77
    Free Member

Thanks 🙂 Any one know where you can buy one?

palmer77
    Free Member

Bump 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What headset?’ is closed to new replies.