Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • What hard tail?
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

So thinking about getting a new hard tail as a birthday present. So suggestion time, someone has mentioned Cube, possibly looking around £800 but have to have the discussion really.

http://www.cube-bikes.de/xist4c/web/LTD-RACE_id_31068_.htm

wondering what the masses thoughts are!

rolfharris
    Free Member

A friend of mine wanted a new bike recently, similar budget. We looked into all the usual options- Trek, Giant, Spesh, Kona and so on, but she’s gone for the Cube because it was the best value, best specced and a nice frame too. Also, they’re not affected by the price increases this year.

richc
    Free Member

might be worth booking up some rides at the bikeradar demo day to try some out, as on paper some might look ideal but might not fit right.

Also I would be looking here:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s24p0&tbv=_BIKES_Mountain_Bikes_-_Womens

woody2000

munqe-chick’s a guy IIRC 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I’m a chick 😉 however I’m not that bothered abotu women’s specific bikes!I have never owned one and never had a problem with my old Kona or my XS Giant Reign 2. I’m 5ft 4 inches so don’t have too many problems with smaller bikes.
    Just open to suggestions really.

jfeb
    Free Member

The Cube looks like great value if it is £800.

Alternatively, look at Merlin Cycles:

Linky

or

Linky

woody2000

I was sure I remembered you fessing up to being a chap on the “how did you get your username” thread. Eeeh, age, it’s a terrible thing 🙂

Mate of mine sells Cube, they do look like good bikes for the cash

james
    Free Member

On the offchance you wanted a little more travel (130mm – though still adjustable down to 85mm), Genesis seem to get rated well on here

Genesis Core 30 = £831.91:

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bike/core_30

The Altitude is a steel framed version (looks like the same spec) but for another £100

Else an orange P7S is steel and £800ish, though the tora forks aren’t as good

richc
    Free Member

a boardman might be worth a look, one advantage of WSD bikes is you don’t need to factor in a womens saddle etc.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Have to give a plug for the Rock Lobster 853 from Merlin. Whole bikes are a bit more than £800, but the frames are very good vfm, and just right for what you want it for, really. Very hard to beat Merlin’s deals,tbh.

I love my Lobster. Light, agile, comfy, etc. Highly recommended.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Cant believe we have got this far without somebody suggesting an on one or cotic or a dialled!

I_Ache – Member
    Cant believe we have got this far without somebody

That’s an obvious flaw in this thread.

Anyway, Cube’s are for squares.

😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

Great timing mike.

richc
    Free Member

it would definately be difficult to build a cotic/on-one/dialled for £800 (without getting very lucky on the classifieds)

mboy
    Free Member

You appear to get a heck of a good spec on that Cube bike for the money, though I’d bet the frame is going to be a little harsh and unforgiving as it is a relatively cheap alloy XC race style frame.

Personally, my choice would be along the same lines as James above. But then I’m biased as I own a Genesis Altitude. That said, the £949 Altitude 10 won the £1000 Hardtail shootout test in this month’s MBUK, with a solid 9 out of 10 score. The spec isn’t quite as high as on that Cube (Deore/SLX instead of SLX/XT, and Recon forks are a bit heavier than Reba’s, though have adjustable travel to boot), but you do get an awesome Reynolds tubed steel frame to ride instead. I’ve only had mine (a custom build as I got the frame and a set of Maverick forks cheap and built it myself) a few weeks now, and ridden it about 7 or 8 times so far, but it’s the first hardtail I’ve ridden in years I actually like!

RudeBoy’s suggestion of the Rock Lobster 853 is also potentially worthwhile, they are quite a nice frame for sure, and Merlin can put you a bike together for under £1k with some decent bits on it for sure.

I_Ache
    Free Member

There is an On One 456 summer in the classifieds for £80 15″ so is girly size and im sure you can get change out of £720 even with a pretty good build kit.

MrAgreeable

Marin Rocky Ridges have a really good rep, kind of like a cheaper version of a Stiffee or a Chameleon. It’s got a fairly basic spec but a brilliant fork for the money.

http://www.marin.co.uk/2008/bikedetail.php?ModNo=3873

orange
    Free Member

was also going to recommend a genesis, shame the I0 ID prices have gone up

richc
    Free Member

Does the Marin come with a free stick on beard?

MrAgreeable

I’ve never seen that particular model being used in conjunction with a map holder or SPD sandals.

Keva
    Free Member

What RudeBoy said. I’ve just built up a Lobster 853 15in frame. I’m 5’4″ and it fits me just right. Nippy, agile and a super smooth ride.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Hey there, as another ‘chick’ I thought I’d add my two pence worth:

I used to have a Rock Lobster (sold it to Keva!)- 853 steel so comfy and a nice and lively ride, but I found the top tube a tiny bit too long for me but not bad. The BB was also too low for my liking…

That said, it’s fantastic value for the frame and the spec is excellent – not sure you can get better for the money (assuming you don’t mind a lowish BB). Merlin are also good at customising the bike for you – they swapped the stem from a 90mm to a 70mm and the saddle to a women’s specific one free of charge. Pretty good service imho.

If you’re not fussed about steel (which you should be!), then their Malt 4s are supposed to be excellent and a bit cheaper too…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Other option was this women’s specific Cube
    http://www.cube-bikes.de/xist4c/web/ACCESS-WLS-SL_id_31120_.htm

what are your thoughs on this versus the Ltd Race?? Oh I don’t know. Guess I need to speak to other half for definate prices etc!!! But still keep your thoughts coming!!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Purely on geometry I’d go for the women’s specific. It’s got the same TT length as my Airborne, which I find perfect… (Good to see they haven’t gone OTT as some women’s specs do)

I know everyone’s different, but we’re roughly the same height, so 20.5 is probably about right. Still, there’s only half an inch in it, as the other one isn’t exactly long…

Sure you want to go for such a race bike though? What kind of riding do you do? If you do longer trail centre rides, you won’t regret steel! 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I do everything really, this bike is going to be mainly for trail riding and X country stuff. I have a Giant Reign 2 for downhilling which is also currently my every day bike but it’s a bit heavy say if you go to Afan or Cwmcarn!! so wanted something a little nippier! Have an old old Kona Fire Mountain which I love but it’s slowly dying (had it 15 years) so decided to treat myself to the new bike!! However as previously mentioned it will be a birthday pressie treat!!

I take it you would then go for a 15 inch women’s specific frame??

RudeBoy
    Free Member

If you felt comfy on a Kona, chances are you might not get on with a womens’ specific machine. Might feel a little short. I’m 5’4 1/2″, and the Lobster is spot -on, I reckon. 22.25 effective TT, on my 15″ one. Cinnamon Girl off here used to have one too, same size. An 80mm stem would be perfect. I’m running me Rebas at 115mm, with a fair bit of sag. Rides really well.

richc
    Free Member

If you aren’t 100% sure on the sizing, you would be nuts not to book some test rides, as think how gutted will you be if it doesn’t quite fit, especially as its supposed to be a special present to you.

With fitting a bike, you need to take into account, inside leg and torso/arm length as well as height. A bike that will fit a man the same height as you, might not fit you, and while you can tweak the fit with stems and layback posts, it has to be worth avoiding this if at all possible.

edit: Also my SO, who is 5’11” went from a medium (18″) Kona to a Giant WSD and now wouldn’t get a blokes bike again as she finds the shorter TT a revelation.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Cool, I ride Cwmcarn and Afan quite a bit so can understand that you want something a bit more nippy!

I know what RudeBoy means, as some WS are way too short. It’s difficult to tell just from measurements though. I’m 5’3 1/2″ (as we’re being specific!) and I found my rock Lobster a tad too long, but most of my height is in my legs (key difference to guys!).

Plus, I didn’t really realise that the Rock Lobster was too long until I rode a bike that fitted me really well. The difference was staggering – able to clear technical stuff much better, not spinning back wheel and not having to actively keep the front end down climbing. It also made me want to climb in harder gears and basically ride harder all round! I can’t really explain the extreme difference, but I guess geometry really is incredibly important.

I think a 15″ rock lobster would probably be fine (though would strongly recommend a 70mm not an 80mm), but if you’ve got a lot of height in your legs you might still find it a bit long. (The low BB also annoyed the hell out of me!)

Still, as it’s difficult to tell just from numbers (sometimes the published numbers don’t really convert in reality), if you want to meet up sometime so you can see how mine fits you size wise you’re more than welcome. It might be a good starting point anyway… Where are you based? I’m in Bristol but like I said, ride Cwmcarn and Afan quite a bit. In fact, we’re probably going to do White’s Level on Sat if you’re interested…

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Oh and I couldn’t agree with Rich more!

james-o
    Free Member

“was also going to recommend a genesis, shame the I0 ID prices have gone up

It’s been £999 all year.. Bikes have gone up from 2008 yes, but thats the same for all brands. The 2009 iO ID is one of the best value bikes we offer.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Ohh lots of things to think about! I’m 5ft 1/2 have a 15inch Kona (I think but I did buy it 15 years ago!) and an XS Giant! I may have to have a nosy into riding some to have a look.

Funnily enough I’m hoping to be at AFan on the weekend but not sure yet though but I’ll definately look out for you to say “hi”! I’ll be on my green Giant Reign with boyfriend on a white Kona Coiler!!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Coolio! I’ll be in a Airborne Black Widow, with husband on ti Rock Lobster (with very loud gold hope hub!) Possibly be with a couple of other friends on ti Airbornes too (yep we’re gonna look pretty ‘special’!)

I’ll be the one struggling for breath on the climb!

If you see me shout and I’ll let you have a go – it’s a beautiful bike!

mboy
    Free Member

If you’re still thinking of going down the Cube route, I’d definitely go with the Womens specific version having looked at the 2 bikes. Primarily down to geometry, as even the smallest in the guys version is probably going to be quite a bit too long in the TT for a girl of your height.

The specs on the 2 bikes are as near as identical, if anything, you get ever so slightly better bits on the WSD bike than on the mans bike. But really there’s nothing in it.

Fit wise, the same reason as I “should” ride a 19″ frame given that I’m 5ft 11, but choose to ride a 17.5″ frame (though there was only 15mm difference in the TT anyway) is down to the fact I prefer a slightly shorter bike for more control. Given that women usually have shorter torsos and longer legs, erring slightly on the shorter side is usually wise. Though I’d DEFINITELY get out and try them for fit.

But I’d still be looking at something made from steel myself (On One have some more 456’s in, one of those in a 14″ would be spot on for you, or try a 15″ Rock Lobster 853 such as RudeBoy suggests, sadly I think the Genesis even in a 16″ would be too long), as alloy tends to be quite an unforgiving material for use in a hardtail. It’s nice and efficient for building an XC race bike from, but if you mainly ride trail centres such as Afan and Cwm Carn, I’d definitely not look at ally (I’d ride my full sus bike anyway!).

richc
    Free Member

I don’t think its that cut and dry, as Brant (from on-one) has posted loads on the Steel Vs Al stiffness discussions in the past to disprove this myth. A steel bike can be made stiff and an Al bike can be made to be compliant.

If you want a *fast* bike to hammer around trail centers then a Al bike should be lighter, which will make you faster as you spend more time on the climbs than you do on the descents (unless you are very slow).

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

I agree with pretty much everything mboy says but I find my 14″ inbred a bit long in the TT too, so not sure it’d be ideal at all. Definitely worth having a go on the WS Cube if you can.

In response to richc, I don’t have much experience of Al other than on my old Giant XTC – which was stiff and very harsh. My 853 was lovely and springy, but I think the seatstay design is partly to thank there – My Inbred (basic Chromo) is pretty harsh in comparison! My Rock Lobster frame also only weighed 4.25 so for that little difference in weight to an Al the feel is well worth it – it’s not just more comfortable, it’s more fun too!

mboy
    Free Member

richc, you are absolutely right, it’s not at all cut and dry the whole ally Vs steel debate. BUT…………..

*Most* Steel hardtails have smaller diameter tubing, and are designed to be quite light yet strong enough to deal with the abuse they are going to be subjected to. Ally frames will normally use larger diameter tubes (Ally is weaker than steel by volume, so you need more of it, it weighs 1/3 as much though for approximately 1/2 the strength) with larger wall thicknesses to acheive the same strength, yet of course it is still designed to withstand the same abuse so to speak.

We MUST NOT (as Brant pointed out to me once) confuse strength with stifness, they are 2 totally different things. And it’s the inherent bit of flex in *most* steel frames that generally makes them nicer to ride, IMO. My 853 Genesis Altitude certainly has a bit of flex/spring in it and makes it much nicer to ride than any ally hardtail I’ve ridden (even if the frame is probably 3/4 of a lb heavier than most). By comparison I have a couple of friends with Dialled PA’s, which are known for being much stiffer (and heavier). I’ve not ridden an Inbred, but I’d guess they’re somewhere inbetween my Genesis and a PA stifness wise.

And yes, some ally frames are more compliant than others for sure, I’ve not ridden a whole host but I can definitely say that if you want the most uncomfortably bike in the world, get a Santa Cruz Chameleon. I’ve never ridden anything so uncompromising (though they do handle well) ride wise. But generally, steel frames are more “compliant”.

*Read pretty much all normal “XC” type hardtails, exclude the likes of dirt jump frames, and freeride hardtails etc.

By contrast, if you look at Titanium, it is very strong for its weight, but very flexible. You can make a titanium frame that’s as strong as a steel frame, and it will weigh 30-40% less. But it will flex like mad! So generally, especially in the case of more hardcore Ti frames like the Cove Hummer, Ti frame makers will use slightly thicker tubing than is actually needed in order to add a bit more stifness, and a bit more weight (though it will still be a noticable bit lighter than an equivalent steel frame).

My Rock Lobster frame also only weighed 4.25 so for that little difference in weight to an Al the feel is well worth it – it’s not just more comfortable, it’s more fun too!

Haven’t ridden one, but have seen a few, and have heard many owners rave about them. They’re definitely in the skinny XC bike end of the spectrum for steel frames, so I’d be inclined to believe the above comments, based upon my own experiences of other steel bikes.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Cheers mboy – a very comprehensive and accurate summary indeed! Nice one 😀

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Oh dear now you are going on about flexibility of metals I’ve lost you!! I’ll get other half to have a read .. it will make sense to him and since he’s buying!!!!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

You anywhere near London at all? You’re welcome to try mine out! Also, my Cannondale, which is a little bit shorter, and is alu. Both are weeny.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘What hard tail?’ is closed to new replies.