Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • what happened to SKS raceblade longs?
  • jam-bo

you only appear to be able to get the XL version now which I already have and wanted a bit more coverage.

Any alternatives?

please don’t suggest crud as tried and binned.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

They’re harder to come by than they used to be due to supply/demand (so I was told anyway)
    A quick search on line shows they’re hardly difficult to find though

jam-bo

well I can’t find anywhere with raceblade longs in stock, i’ve edited the thread title to make it clearer…

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Sorry, didn’t read the ‘long’ bit..
    It’s spring time anyway, time to be taking guards off not fitting them 😉

jam-bo

I live in devon, it’s still wet, just marginally warmer…

molgrips
    Free Member

What was wrong with Crud?

njee20
    Free Member

They’ve stopped making Longs. No idea why, they were good. Crud are shit IMO. Fragile, annoying to fit, they rub.

jam-bo

What was wrong with Crud?

If you ever managed to get them set up without rubbing it would last about ten miles. clearance under the brake caliper was the major issue.

SKS long looked to have the solution to this.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Funnily enough I’m have a similar struggle trying to find sks longboards in the size I want. Seem to be out of stock everywhere.

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought the Crud were designed to rub?

matts
    Free Member

I had a set of Raceblade Longs on the bike I was temporarily using as a commuter. In 6 weeks I had 2 of the metal L-brackets fail sending the rear guard flapping all over the place. Maybe they pulled them to redesign the fixing?

TiRed

Maybe they pulled them to redesign the fixing?

It’s this.

We’ve had 30 pairs at the club and no failures yet, but the original design that didnt pass through the QR axle was replaced with one that did. I think there hev still been metal fatigue failures, so are redesigning what I think is already a very good design.

Personally, I’d fix the bracket to the mudguard rather than keep the sliding friction based clamp, because that, rather than the brackets, has been my source of rattles.

As for the SKS P35s – perhaps they’d like to redesign those too. I’ve managed to snap two rears at the brake mount due to fatigue. Still a nice design though.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve taken my rattly horrid Chromoplasts off now and will take some serious persuading to refit them.

A product that requires bending things, reimagining brackets, adding huge stacks of washers, cutting rods after establishing correct length and possibly resorting to cable ties and drilling extra holes – none of which indicated in the instructions – is a piss take.

They kept me reasonably dry but the constant rattle made the commute an unpleasant ride.

I’m gobsmacked by the opinion that they’re probably the best option.

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

They decided to do a re-design mid season and are bringing them out for this year…as far as i am aware.

njee20
    Free Member

Personally, I’d fix the bracket to the mudguard rather than keep the sliding friction based clamp, because that, rather than the brackets, has been my source of rattles.

Agreed, the little bit out front is particularly bad on mine.

GreenRoom
    Free Member

Yeah I tried to get supply of these but I was told they were discontinued and being redesigned. Gutted because they gave excellent coverage at the price of being a little awkward to fit. Hope the new ones come out soon and work as well.

edlong
    Free Member

I’ve managed to snap two rears at the brake mount due to fatigue. Still a nice design though.

Isn’t that a bit contradictory?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘what happened to SKS raceblade longs?’ is closed to new replies.