Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • what grease for a ceramic BB bearings?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I picked up a cheapy GUB ceramic BB from fleabay the other week. Works great, spins freely, but it’s developed a creak already. It looks like there’s no grease in the bearings, so I’m wondering if I should put some in, before replacing the bearings (or whole thing)
    What grease works on ceramic bearings then?

rickmeister

I got the same too, arrived dry. Called the LBS and was told, self lubing, no grease needed. Is your creak from the bearing?

Mine wouldnt fit with two spacers on the drive side. The nipped up chainset crushed it and stopped it spinning.

Now running one spacer each side and its just fine. Filthy day out Sunday in Ardnamurchan, no problems so far…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Rick, i tried to use all the spacers as its a 68mm shell, managed to to get the end-cap on just. But the crank fell off! I managed to get it to stay on for the rest of the ride, just. But once back, took 2 spacers out, now running a single one on the drive-side. I’ve been in touch with the seller to tell them they’re not designed right, they say they’re telling GUB about it.
    I suspect i overloaded the bearing, or damaged something (the top-hat spacer seems very loose now) by running it with too many spacers in. I’ve been offered a 50% refund.
    Interesting about the self-lubing. Makes sense I guess

rickmeister

Spotted the spacer issue when I built it up fortunately. It was clear that the splines were still extending inside the bearing so I was suspicious.

Mines a 68 mm shell and with one spacer each side I think that my double/bash chainline is better now across all the cassette… I asked the bike shop if I was missing something by dropping a spacer but they said, no.. just watch the chain line..

And its lovely so far. I did pop the black bearing cover off and recognised the skf written on the rubber bearing seal… lets hope.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘what grease for a ceramic BB bearings?’ is closed to new replies.