Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • What gravel/adventure bike for less than a grand?
  • spacemonkey

Feel like treating myself to N+1 because it’s been a manic year. Plus I recently became seduced by a Tripster AT, but regardless of it’s out-of-the-box capability and upgrade scope, I can’t justify the £1600+ build.

Admittedly it may be hard finding something that’s quick/responsive on the road and strong on the trails. Happy to upgrade rims, tyres and a few simple bits – don’t have time to faff around with a rebuild though.

Hydraulic discs preferably and clearance for 40mm or so. And seeing as I’m 6’3″ it must be 58cm+/XL.

Been looking at variations of the Arkose, Diverge, Vapour and others. Perfectly happy with secondhand, travel preferred in the SE/London.

What do you lot reckon? Ta

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

Much as I love my Arkose, with your user name you’d have to at least consider the Space Chicken from Planet-X.

Think they were on sale last week, but if they aren’t anymore give it a few days and they’ll surely be again…

(Sorry, no idea how they ride)

Picto
    Free Member

Bit over budget and not strictly a gravel bike but I am impressed with my pickenflick. Again recently on sale at Planet x
    Rides really well off road, got me round the dirty reiver last year.
    Using it as a winter road bike and it is very good with road tyres fitted.
    Only downside is lack of mudguards eyes.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

There are some Cyclocross races here around – think I understand now what a Cyclocross bike is.

But what’s really a Gravel/Adventure bike?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Dang, I’m rather taken by that space chicken. Any idea what price they were reduced to last week?

downhillfast
    Free Member

Lots of choice these days.
    I went for a GT Grade, alloy, 105

kilo

My old norco cx bike takes 40mm tyres and is a good frame, might be worth seeing what they have at Evans

neverbeentomoab
    Free Member

Calibre dark peak 40mm tyres available in 58cm £549 only mechanical disc though

felltop

Got myself a Verenti Substance Apex 1 from Wiggle recently. Really not bad for the money, if a little heavy.

spacemonkey

That Space Chicken looks epic, but unfortunately it’s in the Can’t Justify The Cost bracket.

Nukeproof’s Digger is another in that category.

Looked through the Ribble CGR builder last night. Good bit of kit with scope for upgrading. Not much over budget but I really don’t want to go above £1000 – and would prefer nearer £750 TBH.

shermer75
    Free Member

At that price I’d be getting an Arkose. Great reviews as well as lots of real world popularity on this forum, and it’s a well thought out, practical and versatile bike. The Diverge looks great but by all accounts is a bit of a nightmare when comes to putting mudguards on etc

anagallis_arvensis

I’ve a Diverge E5 comp. Its great but doesnt have hydro discs and is 50% over budget.

rOcKeTdOg

andreasrhoen – Member
    There are some Cyclocross races here around – think I understand now what a Cyclocross bike is.

slacker angled (seat and head tube) geometry with some bottle bosses (not good to have cages when shouldering a bike to run with it) and room for tyres bigger than 33m (the UCI max for CX bikes

hardtailonly

For VFM, I’d look at the Boardman Team CX, PX Full Monty (again, were in the sale at <£800 until yesterday) and the Sonder Camino AL.

If you can stretch a bit over the £1000,sure the Pickenflick and Space Chicken will be on offer again in the New Year. I’m looking forward to receiving my Pickenflick in a couple of weeks (£400 off! 😀 )

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

Just looked back through my club whatsapp chat where we were talking about them to see, and it was £1199 for the Rival 1 version. Confess I thought they’d reduced it by more than that, to the point where it would have squeaked into thread budget.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

andreasrhoen – Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member

slacker angled (seat and head tube) geometry with some bottle bosses (not good to have cages when shouldering a bike to run with it) and room for tyres bigger than 33m (the UCI max for CX bikes)

O.k.. Understand.
    “slacker angled” sounds more fun to me!
    bigger tires make sense as well.

Thanks!!!

slimjim78
    Free Member

it was £1199 for the Rival 1 version.

crickey that’s a steal at £1199!
    I’ll be smashing one on my CC if/when it comes down to that price again in my size

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Full Monty Sram hydraulic is £800 at DFS. 😉

Charge SS Grinduro £700 at Wiggle.

johnnystorm

The Arkose is brill.

I’ve used mine for the Dirty Driver with 40c Nanos and London-Edinburgh-London in 4 and a bit days on 32c slicks.

The 2018 version will get you 1×10, hydro brakes and 40c tyres (with room for 45c) for £950 iirc

I also like the look the new Pinnacle Pyrolite, designed for 650b x 47 and normal sized road tyres. In budget but Sora and Cable discs.

spacemonkey

Full Monty Sram hydraulic is £800 at DFS.

DFS? I started speccing one out but too many manuf components I’ve not heard of. Not entirely putting me off though.

crickey that’s a steal at £1199!

That I would go for. Looks mental on all counts.

One of the things I’m struggling with is the line(s?) between CX / gravel/adventure / monstercross. I’m not gonna be racing it, but do want to be fairly rapid on the roads AND somehow hit some of the rougher, eg Surrey Hills, trails with confidence. The Tripster AT seems totally capable of this and and almost leaps into monstercross territory (IMO). But some other MCers are deemed slow and heavy.

Like a lot of things one would like to spend money on, if I could justify adding 50% to my budget I’d probably be sorted. But with Xmas and house stuff I can’t. Ggrrh.

mattbee

In true STW style, recommending what you’ve got; Sonder Camino Al.
    I run mine with 650b wheels & WTB Horizon, wife’s has 700c with G One.
    Both setups still allow clearance for full mudguards.
    It’s not as fast as my ‘proper’ road bike but I can still roll along at a 17mph average on South Downs based 30-40 mike rides.
    Have had it racked/panniered up but tend to use soft luggage unless I need lots of stuff.
    Probably been my most used bike this year.

funkmasterp

I bought an ex-demo NS Rag for just under 1k and it’s a really great bike. I’d highly recommend looking around for one. It’s currently my only bike and is great for most riding. Want to try it with 650b wheels when funds allow

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

My Arkose is my favourite bike, but it is slower than my Synapse road bike. Both on the stopwatch (about 2 km/h down on average speed on the same roads) and in feel. It isn’t as responsive. Which, of course, is another way of saying it’s more stable, or less nervous. I don’t know if that’s all down to geo or also partly due to weight, but I think that stability is what makes it good on bridleways, rocky tracks and multi-day rides. I also like it as a town bike.

I read it though that you’d like something with a bit of a racier feel. Maybe more X5 than Range Rover. Something with more of a road bias. A secondhand GT Grade perhaps?

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

…or maybe a CX bike that isn’t a pure race bike? Like the Boardman CX Team. (I don’t know much about them, TBH, but I picture them being between a CX and a gravel bike. Apologies to Boardman owners if I’ve got that wrong.)

spacemonkey

This is why I now think I need to be clear about what I’m going to use it for.

Nothing in my budget is likely to get me particularly close to covering tarmac quickly and handling rooty/rocky trails with relative confidence. And until this morning I think I was heading more towards Monstercross territory but somehow demanding rapidity on the roads too. Moon on a stick methinks.

So today I’m looking at what’s most likely to get me out on the bike from home, especially over winter. I don’t like riding my CAAD on slicks in wet/shitty conditions on the road. And I don’t always want to be on my (now retired Stumpy FSR) or HT out on trails. But an agile/engaging/fairly quick road beast that capable of eating up BWs and light singletrack might be the ticket, especially with semi-knobbly 30s and hydro brakes.

And if I’m buying new then I want to trust in the customer service, so on that basis I’m probably gonna rule out all Planet X options. Too many bad news stories recently. Alpkit – am liking the Camino but if they’re based only up north then that mightn’t work for me. BTW, mattbee I recently read your recent Camino thread enthusiastically, but – and I’m willing to stand corrected on this – it seems the Camino feels most at home on proper adventures as opposed to 2-3 hr blasts on mixed terrain?

Therefore, going on looks, capability and backup, the favourites are now a mid-range Diverge, a mid-range Arkose (maybe even the X) or a Boardman.

So many options … grrrgghhh …

jimdubleyou

If you’re going Arkose, consider the later models – the frame changes in the last couple of years to allow bigger tyre clearances.

I like mine a lot (think it’s a 2014), and it’s very capable.

AlexSimon

I’ve been following the Space Chicken and there’s no way it ever went to £1199
    It was the 650b version and it was £1499 (went out of stock).
    The Bish Bash Bosh Rival 1 was £1199 (now £1299)
    Pickenflick was/is £1399

For under £1000, I love my Boardman CT Team. (10% British Cycling discount)
    or there’s the Pinacle Arkose (less racey than the boardman which I didn’t like)
    Sonder Camino Al
    Planet X Full Monty

anagallis_arvensis

But an agile/engaging/fairly quick road beast that capable of eating up BWs and light singletrack might be the ticket, especially with semi-knobbly 30s and hydro brakes.

The Diverge hits these but is out of budget. Mine was £1500 with TRP spyre cables. The cheaper Diverges dont have the suspension.
    Whereabouts are you, you would be welcome to take mine for a spin.

scotroutes

I’ll say this again… we have Specialized Diverges as our road hire bikes. They’re lovely. I’d have bought one at the end of season if I didn’t already have my Amazon.

For next year we’ve splashed out on the suspension/105 model. That’s addressed the one fault I could find with it – the lack of clearance for wide tyres.

I might yet buy one for myself….

BillOddie

Jamis Renegade will do exactly what you want it to do.

I have the Renegade Expat and can’t fault it to be honest.

https://www.evanscycles.com/search?text=renegade

trail_rat
    Free Member

Kona Rove AL does gravel/adventure well .

also does touring and winter road bike well.

Clearance for 40c nanos UNDER full length Full metal fenders.

Done a good few miles on mine including a 4 week tour of canada on and off road and its held up well , all ive changed are the hubs (dynamo front hub and hope pro 2 evo rear ) and the double to a deore touring triple to cope with the big canadian hills+ 4 panniers

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Got a lightly used (M) Vagabond for sale at a bargain price. 2.1 nanos, tho is biased more offroad/bikepacking than roadie

* edit – just saw XL. Strike that.

Whatabout a Niner RLT? One on ebay right now

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’ve been following the Space Chicken and there’s no way it ever went to £1199

I think you’re right, it was possibly a Force/Rival/spec mix up.
    I’m still keen, I think I’ll wait to see what happens with pricing/models on offer in the new year and possibly treat myself for my 40th.

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

Looking back at the chat you could be right you know. There may have been confusion with the Bish Bash Bosh Rival 1. As I can’t find any other evidence to support it let’s assume I’m wrong about that Space Chicken price. Sorry for misleading everyone.

slimjim78
    Free Member

no worries! I’ll be keeping an eye out for a sub £1500 price either way. Would happily take a lower spec version for £1200!

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Camino feels most at home on proper adventures as opposed to 2-3 hr blasts

I think that is a fair assessment. Not to say you couldn’t go out for a blast, but it is definitely an all day comfortable sort of approach. Mine works out the box on landie tracks and blue/pale red runs without issue. Its not that fast on road, but nor am I these days 🙁

I’m not fully convinced by the very flared bar, mostly because of the angle of the hoods. I haven’t got round to changing it yet though.

You sound like you want something a bit more towards the CX end of the spectrum?

continuity
    Free Member

Secondhand carbon cyclocross bike?
    Even cheaper – secondhand boardman cx?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Secondhand carbon cyclocross bike?
    Even cheaper – secondhand boardman cx?

Nipped angles and crap clearances (compared to the modern stuff) means its a bit like taking your 90s XC bike to the SES comparatively.

continuity
    Free Member

2 Degrees different head angle really going to damage your cyclepath experience?

trail_rat
    Free Member

well if your only sticking to cyclepaths then cyclocross bike may be fine for you …. mines does more than that admirably before getting out of its depth.

far more versatile than my cross bike….. which frankly for anything more than about oh say an hour and 20 minutes is horrific.

its not just head angle , its seat angle , its top tube height , its bottle cage bosses , its mounting luggage for adventuring , its the gearing its mud clearance with large tires fitted etc etc.

People seem to think cross=gravel and while there are similarities and the for most purposes the bikes will do the same jobs in a pinch its alot more comfortable and even faster over the long haul than trying to make a cross bike into something its not.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘What gravel/adventure bike for less than a grand?’ is closed to new replies.