Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What Gravel/Adventure Bike…
  • mechanicaldope

Right… Moaning about the relative merits of these types of bikes can be kept to the other thread.

I have had the unusual conjunction of my student loan being repaid, a promotion and the works quarterly cycle to work scheme opening. Having commuted on my only bike, a Bird Zero, for the last year or so I think that a new bike for the commute (which is largely canal towpath) is in order. I have never owned a road bike and to be honest road cycling doesn’t really appeal too much. I also feel slightly over biked while trundling round fire roads with my 5 year old daughter. These makes me think a adventure bike will be perfect and I will also be able to fit a child seat for mechdope the youngest.

So…

– Must be buyable in cycle to work (complicated by fact I will not get voucher till end of November 🙁 ) so under £1000.
    – Must be able to have a child seat.
    – Preferably enough toe clearance so I can use flat pedals and not have to bother with spds.
    – For no real reason would prefer a little British outfit (a la Bird) but only if they offer a worthwhile product.

Currently considering Specialized Diverge, Genesis croix de fer. What else should I look at?

core

GT Grade

Mango point AR

Kinesis

Cotic

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve the Genesis Croix de Fer 10 and it’s fine for your intended use (my commute is 2/3rds road, 1/3rd canal tow path) and I also use it as my winter road bike.

Do child seats/carriers fit to pannier mounts? If so then the CdF will be fine.

rocket
    Free Member

I looked at GT Grade and the CdF when in a similar position. Ended up with Pinnacle Arkose from Evans. Ticks all your boxes (ok it’s designed in the UK not made, and it’s not exactly a boutique brand, but it is British). Great bikes – just pick your price point.

GHill

I got a Genesis CdF for similar duties. Possibly my favourite bike now.

It often has a HAMAX kids seat on the back.

flap_jack
    Free Member

CdF has difficulty with mudguards if it has a long arm front mach…

tailsmtb
    Free Member

I have the Grade, its my first drop bar bike. Love the bike, brakes are fugly and wooden to start with, however they get better.

Check stack and reach as I sized my bike to my old hardtail and found this to be wrong. New stem remedied the low position.

mechanicaldope

Thanks everyone. Are any of you running flat pedals? Do they work ok? Not really wanting to learn how to use clipless next to the canal.

dudeofdoom

Well I bought a Raliegh Mustang Elite cheap this year for the winter commute but am really really impressed with it.

Schwalbe g ones running tubeless are just great for the commute.

I run flats on everything but I use 510 or adidas terrex with the stealth rubber which keeps feet on pedals and pins not in shins.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

A guy at work has a Marin Gestalt, to be honest it looks pretty good with some nice detail touches on it. Kitted out with SRAM 1×11 and hydraulic discs. May be worth a look as an alternative to the regular recommendations.

tailsmtb
    Free Member

I’ve got flats but my mate has given me 520 pedals,and after riding slightly bumpy tracks I’m looking at switching to those

ampthill

Looking into this myself. Look at Specialized Seqouia as well. Boardman do a £900 cx bike with hydro brakes with 1×11. Ridgeback do a steel bike like the cdf but with a carbon fork. Genesis still do an aluminum bike but its in the cyclo cross section on the website.

But if your cycle to work scheme covers evans then the Arkoss is a great ride

bob_summers

– Must be able to have a child seat.

A couple of recommendations here for the Grade; I have one (carbon frame) and not sure how you’d fit a child seat on those flexy stays, but I’m interested to know as I’d like to get my lad on the bike.

tobymc

I’m going to say Cotic Escapade cos I got one….and it’s ace!
    there seem to be some stupid cheap Boardmans at Halfords at the moment too.

mechanicaldope

Am a little disappointed that everyone isn’t telling me to get the Specialized Diverge. Think it is a lovely looking bike. The Arkose is really hard to look past though. It has an amazing spec for the price. Am going to be agonising over this till the end of November!

mechanicaldope

Re the child seat on the Grade, Evans seem to think the Hamax Caress is OK. At least on the aluminium one.

jeffl

I got a London Road for commuting a year and a half ago. Mine seems ok but I wouldn’t recommend one in light of the general seat tube size issues. But I will say it’s quite addictive being able to ride bits of road at a reasonable pace in order to link up bits of interesting off road. For example https://www.strava.com/activities/566447189

benp1

Arkose – fine with rack and guards, and also fine with kids seat on it

fettlin

I have a lrg CDF with flats, no issues with toe overlap even when I have 5tens and mudguards on.

Conversely, I bought a SH Merida CX 500 and have a terrible time with toe overlap, with the same pedals and shoes on.

tillydog
    Free Member

Am a little disappointed that everyone isn’t telling me to get the Specialized Diverge.

Get the Diverge…

I’ve no idea if it’ll take the child seat.
    I get some toe overlap with mudguards fitted (not an issue except when trying to do U-turns – mine’s a 54cm frame).
    Not British.
    I’m not overly impressed with the TRP Spyre brakes (due to fading, rather than outright power. I’ve got some expensive Swiss-stop pads on order which will supposedly improve this).
    Stock tyres poor (IMHO – ‘wooden’ and harsh, or very draggy if you reduce the pressure).
    ‘SCS’ rear hub (not really an issue, especially for the QR rear wheel)
    Not great VFM (IMHO).
    Would need to be discounted to get the Smartweld version inside your budget.
    Limited tyre clearance if you want to go REALLY off road.

But: Get the Diverge

It’s gorgeous.
    I use SPDs on mine, but no reason why flats wouldn’t work.
    Rides really well (IMHO).
    So comfortable (7 hours, or so on mine yesterday – no aches or pains).
    Reasonably fast as a road bike (no road riding background, though).
    Can handle stuff like this:

Works well as a commuter for me the rest of the time.

Get the Diverge*

I love mine! 🙂

(*if it’s what you want, and are aware of the -points)

fudge9202
    Free Member

Also have a Genesis cdf, set up with sks mudguards without any issus.

epicyclo

It’s really the tyres that give the bike its capabilities for gravel, so find a bike that will take the tyres you’ll be happy with and go from there.

For me that’s 2″ plus, for others it’s between 32mm or 42mm.

ampthill

Would need to be discounted to get the Smartweld version inside your budget.

What is smartweld? What is good about it?

tillydog
    Free Member

What is smartweld? What is good about it?

“D’Aluisio Smartweld SL Technology” – Specialized’s way of making stiffer, stronger, lighter aluminium frames:

(Kool-aid content)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqOsD0sgI9o[/video]

The Diverge is available with a standard A1 aluminium frame (£), the E5 DSW Smartweld frame (££) or carbon (£££).

The ride quality of the Smartweld version reportedly compares favourably with the carbon version.

tillydog
    Free Member

[Just to add: ]

The spec level on the Smartweld version is higher than the A1 framed version, too: Things like 10 speed, Tiagra 4700 group set, 11 speed compatible wheels, etc.

jmatlock
    Free Member

I have a custom built Diverge A1 with 5800 / SWorks finishing kit and Kenisis wheels. It’s super comfy over long distance. Used it this year to do the Dragon Ride on.

ampthill

Thanks for the answers on smart weld

I think I’ll be happy with water

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What Gravel/Adventure Bike…’ is closed to new replies.