Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What GPS for navigation and tracking? Specific device or Android app?
  • hammerite
    Free Member

The OH would like something to help with navigation for walking. She doesn’t go anywhere too adventurous but would like something that has maps showing footpaths and bridleways, and also tracks where she’s been.

Any recommendations on a GPS for this? (I’m used to Garmin Forerunners and Edge).

Or should she just use her Android phone? Again any app recommendations appreciated she would want offline maps as she won’t want to keep using data.

munkster
    Free Member

I always kick myself that I sold my Garmin Dakota 20 with full OS maps. Uses AA batteries and is well suited to walking etc. You can pick them up reasonably cheaply on eBay if that sounds good.

I use an old Garmin 800 (with OS maps) when out walking now which is probably no different in terms of nav and screen, but obviously more cycling oriented.

Edit: if you walk in the same sorts of areas, the offline OS maps (on the smartphone app) you get as part of buying a paper OS map these days is quite cool. The OS app is full 1:50 OS maps but it uses data wherever you haven’t claimed an offline map. I think you can subscribe for c. £20 a year too but I have no need for that.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Maybe start with the phone, get View Ranger. Load it with free OSM maps, or you can buy OS maps (OSM is good enough in my opinion, if not better in some cases for marking less official things).

A dedicated device has the benefit of not draining your phone battery, but if you’re not using the phone with screen on all the time then it’s not so much of an issue.

If it was for riding, a dedicated device may have better accuracy, and can bar mount etc. Walking, not sure what’s good.

Simon

I use Back Country Navigator app on my phone. Works well, you get full UK os maps in with the price of the app. Only real downside is that when it’s raining heavily the touch screen becomes unusable.

paladin

the £20 a year OS subscription gives you access to download all the maps you need to your phone. you can print off areas of map as well, so no need to buy paper maps too.

CountZero

There’s a phone app, called UK Mapping, developed by Phil Endacott, which uses free OS maps with footpaths and such data supplied by the open street map community.
    http://ukmapapp.com
    It’s only available for iOS, though, but maybe worth checking out getting a cheap second-hand iPhone if it looks appealing.
    He’s just done an update to bring it up to spec for iOS 11/64-bit, which is a relief, I use it quite a lot.

hammerite
    Free Member

Thanks all, will take a look at those.

Count – OH has been talking about getting an iPhone at some point (but probably not for a couple of months) so that might be useful.

nuke

Garmin etrex will do what you want (i have etrex 20)…it writes a gpx when switched on that you can then transfer. Also has colour screen for navigation. Downside is screen is small and OS maps expensive.

However, a lot of the time i just use the OS app on my Android phone and bought my local OS 1:25k maps that came with a code so i can also get the maps on the app as well. Then just use Strava to log the route

Cougar

One thing to watch using a phone is that some displays aren’t great in direct sunlight (mine’s barely visible). Check that before investing in apps.

hammerite
    Free Member

The OS map and code seems a good route, will mean either can be used when/if she changes phones.

Good point Cougar.

bamboo
    Free Member

I would use a smartphone with pre loaded maps, plus a spare Anker USB charging battery from amazon for circa £20 in case the GPS hammers your smartphone battery

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What GPS for navigation and tracking? Specific device or Android app?’ is closed to new replies.