Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What GPS?
  • Mantastic
    Free Member

Hello all, in recent weeks I have been using my iPhone as a GPS. The app I used is for cycling so I get lots of interesting data as well. The issue is, it kills the battery on my phone. So it has me thinking about garmin etc.

Are these things easy to use? Would Like something to give me handy stats, be able to map my rides( and share them with other riders) be able to upload other folks rides and like a sat nav follow them. Have detailed maps in the unit.

So given my curiosities above can anyone help. Have ask my local bike shops but they suck on GPS related knowledge.

Thanks all

singletracksurfer

had the same issue so got a sat map and am very happy.

os mapping, 8hr battrry life, easy to use, follow routes or tracks where you’ve been, lots of stats, robust, big clear screen.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

+1 satmap

rob2
    Free Member

You could get an add on battery for your phone only about 30 quid

Jamie
    Free Member

i use a Forerunner 405 so I can use it running, riding and occasionally walking. Only really use it for logging data so not worried about having something with a big screen. Also it gives me 6hr battery life which is usually enough for everything but the longest rides. With that in mind I might treat myself to the 310XT at some point as it has 12hr battery and you can swim in it.

As for ease of use, after initial setup, it is as easy as pushing start and stop. This is only my experience of logging, and those who use the GPS for navigation will know more on this side of things.

When you sync your data, for me it is via the Ant+ USB stick, it automatically uploads to the Garmin Connect website, which has really come on in the last year or so and could probably be used just by itself for data analysis. Here is a sample from a recent ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/64596105?

I am on a Mac and use Rubitracks as well. Windows users have Sports Tracks I believe.

Just as a little push after running the iPhone and Garmin side by side to track routes, it is surprising how inaccurate, apparently I am Jesus as I biked across Derwent Reservoir, the iPhone can be sometimes.

lucien

I use a Garmin 500 as a normal bike computer, plus it’s good for looking at where you have been.

I also use a Satmap Active 10 strapped to my top tube for new routes, as it has full OS map capability, with a reasonable screen so that I can either import a GPX file and follow a route already planned or I can navigate as per standard map. It’s very accurate, so even with thin, hidden trails it gets you where you need to be. I don’t use it all the time, suppose I could if I neeeded to to record some data but in my mind it’s not for that it’s more about it being a navigation aid.

Been right round the houses trying to find something that did both (ride data and decent OS mapping) and couldn’t get anything at all that would suit. I can’t comment on the new 800, all Garmins prior use their cra**y version of an os map as the base map and it’s right proper grim.

99percentchimp
    Free Member

310XT at some point as it has 12hr battery and you can swim in it

IME – handy for Penmachno (at my speed) in all but a heatwave 😀

fbk
    Free Member

Garmins are pretty easy to use and bombproof enough not to worry too much when you’re out and about.

Up until recently I had an eTrex which does all you describe except the detailed mapping. I’ve upgraded to an Edge 800 now as it does training data (heart rate, cadence etc) and has OS mapping on screen along side the GPS stuff.

With either you’ll be able to record routes, follow imported ones from websites etc and record basic data.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I looked at the satmap, but it’s a lot of wedge. Went for the Memory map one and it’s great. The new one looks good with a bigger screen.

andytherocketeer

Tend to use a newish eTrex most of the time. Fiddly to use, especially when compared to touchscreen devices, but has the mapping, and if you persevere you can get the OSM maps on it. OSM here is easily good enough to rely on (and often beats the detail of local maps!).
    Since I use it in slightly remote areas and might be up a mountain for 12 hours, I insisted on one with AA batteries. So smartphone won’t drain, batteries last a week anyway, and it’s no big deal to carry a spare pair of Duracell.
    1Gig micro-SD card is more than enough to hold shed loads of maps, and every GPX file I’ve ever recorded (and it records everything).
    I don’t care so much about the heartrate/cadence stuff.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Got a Garmin edge 800 with OS maps at christmas and have really liked it so far – so much so that i don’t know how i managed without one for so long!

Pretty damn expensive though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What GPS?’ is closed to new replies.