Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What good bikes have you seen in the lock up at work?
  • judy-rockshox
    Free Member

I work at Gatwick and walk there but pass a bike shed on the way. See some really good bikes that have obviously been relegated to commuter duties as technology moved on. My fave is a De Kerf tig team with XT everything & great finishing kit. Also seen a nice shiny Zaskar (circa 1994), Trek Antelope, a couple of nice Cannondales – one with Rock Shox Indy forks and the other with Magura Quicksilver brakes, as well as a fair few Stumpies & steel Konas that have seen the test of time. Lovely! What have you seen at your workplace? This is like birdwatching but much more fun.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Lightspeed Obed v brakes with carbon forks.
    Pro-flex softtail
    90’s metallic green Kona Cindercone with red Judys I think.
    blingy Spesh Roubaix
    oldish Marin Mount Vision
    Raleigh Dynatech hack bike with old manitous rack etc
    top end Cube road bike
    Stumpjumper FSR expert carbon Evo
    loads more.

all locked outside the supermarket I work, some of them are regulars, mostly locked with the cheapest of cable locks 😕 3 of the above belong to the same guy. Love seeing a nice bike come in.

judy-rockshox
    Free Member

Litespeed Obed!!!???? They gotta be mad! Mind you, I have a nice Trek EX8 and the local youth swoon over it when I ride it to town but I reckon they think my Merlin Oreas Ti is a Halford’s job cos they don’t usually give it a 2nd look. I wouldn’t leave them with a cheap lock though. I take them in the shops with me. Boots know I am a cranky cow so they ignore me.

I used to have a lovely Kona Explosif in 853 and the youngsters loved it but If I put a rack on it, it seemed to hit it with the “ugly stick” and it got less attention .

Kevevs
    Free Member

see some mad bikes as well. There’s a carrera banshee with bmx handlebars on it, slicks, about 5 lights, rack, panniers, computer, barends, pump, water bottle, every single attachment you can get. we just call him accesorie man, he always dresses in full combat gear, used to wear a full face. For shopping! I’ll get a photo one day :mrgreen:

tomhoward

I saw an intense m3 leant up outside sainsburys once, no lock nobody seemingly watching it. A life of crime was never so tempting…. Didn’t though. The guy came back after 10 mins (I was waiting for a lift) so I instructed him of his foolishness (wasn’t some pikey who had no idea what it was, he knew he’d been thick) upon his return.

I’ve ridden my it1 to work more than once as there’s nothing like commuting on a 40+lb DH bike to build fitness!

Kevevs
    Free Member

spotted my old bmx a few months back. It’s a falcon pro, I put the redline stickers on it 😀 the kid who owned it said it’d been in his family for years (he said it was a real top end old pro bike LOL). He’d taken the brakes off n changed the wheels. I swapped it for a box of warhammer miniatures off a mates mate in 1990 I think, and hadn’t seen it since then!

[/url] oldBMX by kevinevs, on Flickr[/img]

judy-rockshox
    Free Member

LOL Kevevs! There’s a guy like that who rides to Crapwick. At least he’s got the hang of it now. He had loads of accessories before he bought the lights & one night my partner just missed him with the car as he was weaving in and out of the parked cars in the dark.

I was out on a ride with my Grandson once. He was riding an Ellsworth & I had my Merlin. I left him outside Sainsburys looking after the bikes while I went on for snacks and while I was in the queue I saw this fella talking to him. I was starting to worry in case he was a perv after my grandson so I got out quickly and my grandson was just looking after the blokes bike. It was a 1K GT and the guy had figured that with our good gear we weren’t going to run off with the GT & shortly came out and thanked my Grandson for looking after his bike and gave him a Mars bar!

Northwind

When I worked at the bank, the bike shed was full of absolute horrors, couldn’t walk past some of them without getting lockjaw. My £100 Revolution Courier was the best bike there, every day, without fail until… It snowed! And the next day, the shed was absolutely packed to the rafters with £1000 mountain bikes. The only time all those cycle-to-work bikes ever cycled to work.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What good bikes have you seen in the lock up at work?’ is closed to new replies.