• This topic has 34 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • What Gloves worked for you today?
  • MisterT

so my Gloves were barely acceptable during my 1 hr commute this morning over the peak district on icy roads. @ approx -5DegC.

My Gloves – Gore Tool Windstoppers. The thumb and forefinger went v-cold due to them being damp (snot/sweat wiping milarky)

what worked for you in similar temp?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Endura lobster claws worked for 8 miles in frosty aberdeen today.

willy
    Free Member

sealskins bikin gloves didnt work in aberdeen today
    flatmate uses the normal sealskins, the ones that look like they arnt waterproof, and he says they are awesome

cynic-al
    Free Member

Windstopper mitts have always worked for me (Edinburgh, maybe not as cold…)

malchales
    Free Member

spesh monkeywrench,
    Winter gloves are being delivered by santa, and he wont deliver them early.Mt pinkies hurt this morning

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aye willy – my commute was at 7am and it was still frozen on ground – nearly lost the fixie on the haudagain!

Looking at pogies for the puffer i reckon

solar
    Free Member

661 storms didn't work for me in Dundee.

DezB
    Free Member

Do winter gloves break down over time?
    My Cannondale ones have been fine everytime I've used them in the past, but this morning, the first use this year, my hands were bloody freezing.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Aldi ski gloves, about a fiver last year, had to take me off on Saturday my hands were that hot, the best !!

jojoA1
    Free Member

Aldi cheapo special for me. Toasty and waterproof. -3 where I was this morning in Morayshire.
    Had a bad experience the other weekend with the Sealskins MTB gloves, soaked and freezing, exactly NOT what it said on the tin 🙁

BoardinBob

DHB ones

twinklydave

Altura Night Vision gloves didn't work for me on my short 3.5 mile commute 🙁

Have dug out a pair of liner gloves to go under them for tonight's road ride, hopefully that should make enough difference

Militant_biker

Assos Early Winter gloves worked in Edinburgh, longer at the wrist to plug the gap to the jacket.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Spesh long fingered cycling gloves + Peter Storm Thinsulate fleece gloves on top = toasty hands 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Pair of merino glove liners and the fleecy 'inner' from my specialized sub zeros worked well for me on my 1ish hour commute across the moors, -4 this morning as relayed from my son when he and the wife drove past me. -3 yesterday morninng and nice warm hands both days. Felt a lot colder going home last night though.

Forge_Master
    Free Member

A pair of cheap Tesco non-biking gloves used on my 12 mile off road commute at 06:15 and my fingers were toasty.

votchy
    Free Member

Didn't need gloves this morning, left the car running on the drive to warm it up and melt the ice then pootled in to work in short sleeved shirt as normal, hands were toasty all the way 😉

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Double layer (two pairs) of Polartec fleece didn't work for me. I still lost feeling in my thumbs and fingertips.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

My Peral Izumi windstopper number with silk liners got a bit chilly last night, so this morning I got my sealskinz insulated numbers out, toasty, very toasty.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Didn't need gloves this morning, left the car running on the drive to warm it up and melt the ice then pootled in to work in short sleeved shirt as normal, hands were toasty all the way

Well done, I left my car sitting on the driveway and had a fantastic ride to work. Most of us ride to work because we want to not because we have to.

jond
    Free Member

>Altura Night Vision
    windproof or waterproof ? – and if the latter, do they have a separate inner glove? The reviews I've found seem to rate them fairly highly..

wwaswas

Specialized Radiant for me.

£20 @ cyclestore,uk at the mo too = 40% off 🙂

stuartm555
    Free Member

endura windefender in edinburgh … hands were warm but ears were cold!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Extremities Sticky Windies worked for me.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Get a gore skull cap stuartm555 – keeps your head and ears warm.

twinklydave

windproof or waterproof ? – and if the latter, do they have a separate inner glove? The reviews I've found seem to rate them fairly highly..

waterproof, with no inner liner, just thinsulate stuff…these ones, in fact.

Not waterproof either!

Would recommend the DHB ones over them any day, or if it's properly cold the really padded sealskinz ones.

They are brilliant for being seen though – the reflective fingertips mean all your rude gesticulations are as clear at night as they are during the day 😀

Aidan
    Free Member

Hand-warmth is extremely variable between people and my hand circulation is crap. Today, I used Endura Lobsters but it was probably about 1-3C in London at 7.30. Then I switched to Black Diamond ice climbing mitts for standing around outside all morning. I've never been able to use them on the bike for long without getting too hot except when I was in Alaska or Finland.

Pogies are awesome, though. You can still feel your controls, but they're super-toasty. I saw some great home-made ones in Harrow the other day. Looked like some fleece material with gaffer tape outer. Well worth trying if you live up north and get cold hands.

2tyred

Aldi's.

Hands dry and warm for the freezing 11 miles.

Much better than the Sealskinz they replaced.

And they say 'B I K I N G' on them, just to avoid any confusion.

willy
    Free Member

twinklydave them sealskinz ones are well shoite not waterproof (even though it says on the fingers they are) and dont keep your hands warm! boooo

devs
    Free Member

+1 Aldi cheapo specials. At 3.99 a pair last year I bought 2 sets. One set is still unused. Great gloves. I did have to pick off the biking lettering though.

kimbers

my kona escape summer gloves were unsurprisingliy useless have to dig out the aldi winter specials tomorrow as they are hotter than the sun

i love cycling when its frosty

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Gore Phantom got me through 3 hours at just about freezing today combined with a serious wind.

For when it's proper cold I also use those gel regenerating heat pads with the clicky thing in them (£1 a pair from LIDL but I'm sure they're on ebay too). I find the rectangular ones work best as you can wrap them around your grips as they solidify and they dont fall off. Around 20 mins use at 30 – 40deg. Grip tighty and enjoy. They are a bit bulky tho – just make sure they're not in the way of any levers.

lammy
    Free Member

Endura strike. Water/windproof, not too bulky

pcb
    Free Member

Another one for the Aldi gloves.

They are great!

Olly
    Free Member

i spent today trying to get two puddle pumps trying to work in a frozen sump at the bottom of a muddy trench.
    combination of picking ice and mud out of the pump, and getting sprayed with freezing water.

i had no gloves.

Preparation fail

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘What Gloves worked for you today?’ is closed to new replies.