Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • What full sus frame for £1500 ? cotic rocket, orange 5 or heckler
  • shaungero
    Free Member

Hi Crew,
    At the start of next year I want to purchase a full suspension frame with a budget of £1500. I live in West Yorkshire so most of my ridding is around there, with bike parks aswell. It will be a bit of a do it all bike and so far I’m looking at the cotic rocket , orange 5 or a santa cruz heckler. would you recommend one of them or are there better options out there?
    Cheers
    Shaun

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Banshee Spitfire

StuE
    Free Member

2016 Nukeproof Mega would be on my list,frame only £1349 so well in budget
    http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/bike_news/first-look-2016-nukeproof-mega-335006
    and local dealer http://www.earnshaws.bike/#!online-store/c1nbn

chestrockwell

I’d personally have the 5. If you have the cash now (as in the offer finishes today) Sunset MTB are offering 20% of the current 5 frame with a free Hope headset included. 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d rule the Heckler out on the basis of geometry being a bit old hat.

I love the look of the new Five and the geometry seems spot on, so that’s probably where my money would go.

Bregante

Mine too.

chestrockwell
    chakaping
    Free Member

Fizzy Orange looks nice.

Good job I’ve already got a new bike.

Wonder if the 20% off code works on those discounted Segments that Sunset are offering though?

StuE
    Free Member

Seems to work brings price down to £1.199.20 for the frame only

neverbeentomoab
    Free Member

Trek remedy frame with the re aktiv shock for £1300 seems a good buy.

chiefgrooveguru

The Rocket and Five both have great geometry but the linkage driven shock on the Rocket would swing it for me, as it allows you to run the shock more open and lively without it bottoming out too easily or wallowing too deep in the travel.

chestrockwell

Wonder if the 20% off code works on those discounted Segments that Sunset are offering though?

Yep, brings the Segment S down to less than £1700. Orange have some better specced ones on the website with 20% off as well.

shaungero
    Free Member

That is an amazing price for the 5, un heard of that price. But not an option till the start of the new year, it’s going to bug me that haha. I’m hearing you on the heckler on the old school side so I will drop that out of the race. The only thing that scares me with the 5 is its climbing ability. I haven’t had a ride on a full sus at all as I have only had 2 cotic souls the latest one the 27.5 with a nice spec so would be looking at putting the kit on the new bike. Decisions :?, keep them coming

jambalaya
    Free Member

As a very happy Cotic customer my heart would say Cotic. There are so many good bikes out there the head can choose any number of them. The Nukeproofs are great bikes and I low my Transition Covert, as I said the choice is bewildering, if you can buy British

honourablegeorge

For that money, the Intense Tracer? A full bike for an extra 300

http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/brands/intense.html

gibbonarms
    Free Member

How about a Bird aeris? Frame (without shock) for £750 then add a secondhand CCDB or float X (there’s even an X2 on ebay that would fit it).

On One codeine 275, frame and shock brand new for £800

Don’t forget the Empire MX6 evo, frame and shock £1200, another UK produced frame, and more ‘British’ than a Rocket.

jimw
    Free Member

I sold a Five and bought a 26″ Rocket. The Rocket climbs much better than the 26″ version of the Five I had, and was much more useable downhill as well.
    I have not ridden a 27.5 Five, a mate has one and loves it but his only critsism is that its a bit of a pig up hill.
    I have had two rides on my 275 Rocket and so far my impression is that it a smoother riding version of the 26″, a bit easier on the climbs as the larger wheels do roll better. I have not had any chance to try it on really twisty stuff yet to see if it has lost any of the chuckability of the 26″ Rocket.

So, from a biased point of view, I’d go for a 275 Rocket, or perhaps you’d like my old 26″ rolling chassis? 🙂

Realistically though, have you considered a YT Capra?

theocb
    Free Member

Giant Anthem SX type build. £600 frame.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

That Capra is insane value for money. wow

shaungero
    Free Member

That Capra really is good value for money alright. I could even keep my soul at that price

andyg1966

Damn, missed that Five frame offer, going to give Sunset a call and see what they can do …

Leku
    Free Member
    wrecker
    Free Member

Had a similar quandry recently and ended up with one of these;

£1100! Fox Kashima EVOL shock, great angles, 140-160 fork. £1100!!!!
    I’ve had a carbon SC, Intense, Knolly, commencal, Spesh FSR, Turner DW and I’m gobsmacked that this is as good as any. Fantastic work from Giant.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I watched the video Cy did about the Rocket 275 – lots of very nice little features and theres no doubt its a good riding bike.

I’d still buy an Orange.

SirHC

The capra is a different genre of bike compared to the Five/Rocket/Heckler.

At the start of the year I replaced my Mega TR with a Trance:
    Demoed quite a few bikes (Five/Alpine, (old) Bronson/Nomad, Aeris, Trance/Reign, Enduro/Stumpjumper). I was between buying an enduro bike or a trail bike.
    Ended up on the Trance, as for me it pedalled well and descended well, yes the reign was faster for steep downs, but for the majority of the riding I do, a trail bike is the better option.

I had a Five and tbh the 650b Five (not the latest one) didn’t feel any differnt from my old 26″ version. Was still loud, didn’t pedal that well. The alpine would be good for exactly its name describes. Both were heavy and (for something quite simple) expensive.

The old bronson felt too short in large but ok in XL, bb felt a bit high and felt perched on the top of the vike. Preferred the nomad of the two (again in xl).

The giants were the cheapest and didn’t give anything away on weight. They both felt right straight away. Was a close call between the two, ended up with the Trance. Covered 1600 miles on it this year, has been fault less.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

A number of Orange dealers are offering similar 20% off deal and some may still honour it till tonight.

v666ern
    Free Member

For looks the rocket alone, but id be sorely tempted by ^ giant really capable bike

wrecker
    Free Member

Was a close call between the two

Quite. I ended up with both 😳

SirHC

wrecker – Member
    Was a close call between the two

Quite. I ended up with both

Going to put an angleset in the Trance and end up somewhere in the middle 😀

dragon
    Free Member

I’d go for a Trek Remedy or Giant Trance.

shaungero
    Free Member

I haven’t heard a bad word about the trance yet, but there is something that puts me off them. Really don’t know what it is because it could be a good line to head down. The orange 5 with 20% off is hard to miss but as I have to wait till January that would prob not be around then. But the Capra as a full build looks awesome and I could keep the hardtail so I might have to read up on them. I’m 5’11 would large be about right on either bikes ?

chakaping
    Free Member

I have to wait till January that would prob not be around then.

If you’re able to buy on New Year’s Day then I’d expect you’ll find some decent deals.

StuE
    Free Member

This thread might be useful re sizing on the Capra
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/has-anyones-yt-capra-arrived

wrecker
    Free Member

Really don’t know what it is because it could be a good line to head down

Go to the Giant shop and sit on an SX.
    Quite important that it’s the SX as it has the short stem and wide bars, feels very different to a normal trance.

shaungero
    Free Member

Good call there chakaping I should be good to go by then. I get back to the uk on the 30th December.

SirHC

I haven’t heard a bad word about the trance yet, but there is something that puts me off them. Really don’t know what it is because it could be a good line to head down. The orange 5 with 20% off is hard to miss but as I have to wait till January that would prob not be around then. But the Capra as a full build looks awesome and I could keep the hardtail so I might have to read up on them. I’m 5’11 would large be about right on either bikes ?

IMO the Trance is a better bike than Five, lighter/cheaper/pedals better.
    -Push fit BB is a non issue, I fitted a Hope one when I built it, 1600miles on it and no issues.
    -Internal cable routing is easy, nice big exits from the frame with well designed rubber grommets to seal everything up.
    -Shock runs on bearings, not bushings and so is more supple off the top of the stroke.
    -I leave my shock in open mode and there is very little pedal bob and then benefit from the additional traction of having the shock in open mode.

I’ve essentially built up an SX:

andyg1966

A number of Orange dealers are offering similar 20% off deal and some may still honour it till tonight.

Found this shop.

Bike Active

20% off ends today. Sorted. Great spot ladies and gents

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘What full sus frame for £1500 ? cotic rocket, orange 5 or heckler’ is closed to new replies.