Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What front ring 10speed fat boy question…
  • alexxx
    Free Member

I’m wanting to go to a 10 speed setup and drop the front mech as I’m not a huge fan of faff on handlebars and want to run a front guide to secure the chain a little better.

I’ve got a 32, 22 and 11-36 at the moment. I was thinking a 32 on the front and a 42 on the back – does that sound sensible to cover the easier range for my “powerful” web designer legs?

Thanks

stevied
    Free Member

14st of bulk here. 32t AB oval with 11-40 XT/superstar cassette. Works very nicely on the Malverns on my 31lb bike. No chainguide and not dropped the chain at all, even doing DH at FoD and Antur

thestabiliser
    Free Member

30-34 here on 1×9 in the lakes, dropping a couple of teeth on the front avoids spendy cassettes and bodges but if there’s a pedal on the road before hand can be a bit tedious

pigeonthing
    Free Member

running a 32 up front and one up 42 on rear, works fine gives plenty of range, and is easy enough on legs,
    you can spin out on fire / road descents but i wouldn’t normally ride a route with them, I’m happy with it for local stuff, hamsterley, thrunton, glentress, inners.

thegreatape
    Free Member

32 with 11-36 up here in the moderately hilly Highlands.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have a 30T unused for sale – what ratios you use isn’t something I’m going to pretend I can advise on – depends on your legs and riding!

benji
    Free Member

Have you already changed a chainring on your fatboy as mine came 36-22, might help with mud clearance going single ring, but you will lose the wall climbing gear.

alexxx
    Free Member

Thanks guys – I had bought a oval narrow wide 32 already I just didnt know if I should sucker in and get a 30 but I couldn’t help but think I’d be spinning out on some of the descents which I still do on my small bike (matador and other inners routes) so thanks for the replies you’ve convinced me 32 – 42 is sufficient and I should just get fitter with that combo!

Benji – sadly I am the fatboy not the bike 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What front ring 10speed fat boy question…’ is closed to new replies.