Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What front mech for 456C
  • Top.Dog
    Free Member

I’ve fitted two now, nether are ideal.

The first one was not suitable as the seat stay flayers where it meets the BB, just where the clamp fits.

The second one is not ideal, but is working. The cable comes from the last cable stop at a 45 degree angle and into the mech.

Sorry, I can’t remember part numbers.

What do you use?

chakaping
    Free Member

One like this…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28027

Unisize model will do the job, XT only a few quid more when I bought one recently.

fadda

I use SRAM, and I think I needed what they called a high-clamp to avoid that bulge (think you mean in the seat tube, rather than seat stay? otherwise, that could be your problem!)

Paulio
    Free Member

I used an XT one on mine. I’m selling it for £17 if you’re interested.

andyl
    Free Member

Conventional style (high clamp) XT. Job done. Low clamp won’t fit properly on some frames due to the flair of the tube joint at the BB.

Top.Dog
    Free Member

Chakaping – Thats look similar to what i’ve got fitted at the mo. I don’t like the way the cable is routed.

Any other suggestion, or is this my only option

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

That’s how mine is, I don’t like it either. But I think it’s your only option. It’s a fairly standard setup though, I had it on my Bullit, same on my Scythe too.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

can’t you use an e type off the bottom bracket?

Top.Dog
    Free Member

not sure how that would work RestlessNative.

brant
    Free Member

I’ll ask Neil our mechanic

brant
    Free Member

Neil says…

The one recommended by chakaping and Andyl is the exact one we use, the cable angle does get a bit sharp on the 16, low clamp won’t work and I doubt e-type would due to the bulky bb area.

Northwind

Mine has an SLX topswing double on it, seems fine.

edhornby

1×10 😉

andyl
    Free Member

An E-type should fit. TBH I wish I had tried it as the 16″ C456 seat tube is not the best for getting the front mech set up right. Not quite perfectly round, even with the high clamp types.

But my chainsuck protection is BB mount so I wouldn’t be able to use it with an E-type mech. I would have quite liked a direct mount like the Whippet but sticking with the normal BB type not a press fit.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What front mech for 456C’ is closed to new replies.