Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What free pc tune-utility?
  • plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Free trial of avg expired before I had chance to use it on flat mates laptop. Can anyone recommend a registry cleaner type thing I can use instead?

scaredypants

registry cleaner and general decrapping, try CCleaner

(I believe it’s possible to do damage with these things, but always been fine for me)

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Have I arrived in 1998?

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Don’t understand raveydavey??

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Registry cleaners must have been the number 1 giveaway with every PC mag going back in the day. I destroyed loads of installs using them incorrectly. Didn’t know anyone still used them tbh

richmars

I think raveydavey is maybe suggesting that, like de-fraging your hard drive, running a reg cleaner doesn’t really do much (constructively).

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Ok, let me rephrase the question…..I have one evening to sort out my flat mates laptop before she goes on hol with it for a month. After removing all the viruses and malware, it is still really slow and there are loads too many processes running. I’ve previously had success using avg tune up, but this is no longer available to me on this machine. Any ideas?

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Sorry if I came across as a cock its a fault of mine. I’d uninstall absolutely everything she doesn’t need especially any of those tool bar search engine things my mrs seems to like installing. Does she have nortons or mcafee on it? Gdt rid of that too.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Got shut of norton and Macafee. Will keep on deleting the stupid free apps and widgets. Thanks for your help.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

A fresh install might be your best bet. Does it have a system restore option? Back up all her photos etc and restore to original then run Windows update.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Cheers again. Other problem is that hard drive is 90% full of photos and videos. Nowhere to hand to back up all that lot…might just have to do the best I can tonight, then get her to invest in some storage when she gets back.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Stick some of it into a Google Drive. Uninstall all the installed AV and use MSSE. Use msconfig and stop all the boot-time crap. And yeah, kill all the toolbar madness….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What free pc tune-utility?’ is closed to new replies.