• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What frame with sliding dropouts for Rohloff?
  • marada
    Free Member

I am just getting back into cycling and looking for frame recommendations (prefer to buy used frame) for a rohloff, but have some specific requirements:

1) I want a steel frame

2) I want to run hydraulic disc brakes front and rear, so need something that will accommodate this

I will mainly be using this for a 20 mile commute to work. My route goes off road along a hilly farm track and a rough river towpath, however my build must also be comfortable on the road, as much of the route is also on the road. I may also do some longer distance on and off road touring at the weekend’s and in the holidays.

spot
    Free Member

Salsa mariachi ss
    Kona unit

I have run rohloff and singles peed on eccentric bb frames with zero issues. So font forget about that option.
    Currently on a niner sir 9 with rohloff

pistonbroke
    Free Member

inbred 29er singlespeed
    Seems to tick your boxes and at £144 cheap enough as well.

gowerboy

I have used a Rohloff on four different frames. Two were Thorn frames and these were the easiest to set up because of the Rohloff specific dropouts. They are probably the best dropouts out there for the job but you have to be happy with an EBB. Most Thorn frames are for 26 inch wheels which is something I wanted when I bought the first bike but would now not choose. They are also mainly non disk.

I then tried a made for me Woodrup. It was a beautifully made bike but not quite what I wanted. Anyway, it had sliding dropouts. These worked well but having chunks off aluminium bolted onto a beautiful steel frame did seem a bit odd and given that they were kind of cantilevered out backwards a long way, felt a bit vulnerable to me. But I guess it is the way many bikes are built and must be strong enough. The advantage is that your BB stays set and you can change dropouts for SS, etc.

The hub now lives on a Surly Troll. Possibly my favourite Rohloff frame so far. I use a tugnut to tension the chain, it has disk fittings (I’m still on Vees) and the rest of the frame suits my uses (general purpose commuter, tourer). The downsides is that wheel removal isn’t as easy as with the Rohloff specific dropouts and I had to change the type of OEM plate on the hub. You also have to adjust the brakes when tensioning the chain too. But the dropouts are solid and simple and it works well. If I wasn’t so lazy I would have rebuilt the wheels and bought an Ogre frame instead as I now feel that bigger wheels are better.

So in short, your main choices are based around chain tensioning. There are always compromises and each method has its advantages. If I was buying a new frame for my ‘hoff today I’d buy a Tumbleweed. You won’t find one secondhand though.

steezysix
    Free Member

Genesis Longitude has what you’re after, not exactly a road bike but I can get up a fair bit of speed on mine and it’s great for off road touring. Tons of rack mounts and has 100mm/135mm qr dropouts so easy to fit dynamo hub and rohloff/Alfine etc.

gowerboy

If you want to use a longitude, as far as I know, you will need to get the 2016 version (the ones with Al forks) because that is the only one that accepts the OEM Rohloff torque arm, unless you are happy with the longer torque arm fitting.. There was a large on EBAY a few days ago.

A single speed Inbred will again need a long TA. Indeed you can fit a Rohloff to most steel frames if you accept chain tensioners, strap on torque arms, monkey bones, etc.

steezysix
    Free Member

Ah yes, forgot the rohloff needs the special plate fitting. Surly Troll probably the better option in that case!

shermer75
    Free Member

Surly Troll and Ogre frames have Rohloff specific attachment points

drofluf
    Free Member

How about a Swift?

Horizontal dropouts but you can tension the chain with the EBB. Also means brakes will always be in the optimum position

shermer75
    Free Member

I use my Troll for commuting 12 road miles each way, it’s been really good, if buying again I’d prob consider an Ogre for the bigger wheels

Splash-man
    Free Member

As mentioned the Kona Unit is easy to set up either geared or single speed.
    Steel frame – tick
    Disk – tick
    Available in the classified section – tick

bencooper
    Free Member

Horizontal dropouts but you can tension the chain with the EBB.

Be careful doing this, normal horizontal dropouts aren’t designed for the torque of the OEM axle plate. I’ve seen dropouts bent open by doing this. Beefy ones you’ll probably be okay, more slender ones I wouldn’t risk it.

lotto
    Free Member

Shameless plug. Shand Stoater Rohloff belt drive that I have in the classifieds?

marada
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I see the Surly Troll recommended quite a lot, but from what I see it does not have discs?

As for the other suggestions, I wanted to avoid the eccentric bb route, I think it’s just my preference. Also I think I would prefer 26″ wheels. So what options do I have?

Also read about the on one inbred, does anyone know which years had the sliding dropouts for the Rohloff? I really want to avoid having a chain chain tensioner or eccentric bb.

shermer75
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I see the Surly Troll recommended quite a lot, but from what I see it does not have discs?

They can take discs or v-brakes

marada
    Free Member

many thanks for the pic, I have not seen any second hand Troll bikes with disc brakes. So are there any other options? Again my specs:

1) steel frame
    2) 26″ wheels
    3)discs front and rear
    4)Rohloff compatible (no eccentric bb or chain tensioner)

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve got a large Pipedream Sirius (straight steerer) frame but it has geared dropouts; I’m pretty sure that Pipedream used the same system for the 29er Skookum but I don’t know if they’d have any Rohloff dropouts in stock.

How about a Swift?
    Horizontal dropouts but you can tension the chain with the EBB. Also means brakes will always be in the optimum position

Lovely frame; actually has vertical dropouts.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What frame with sliding dropouts for Rohloff?’ is closed to new replies.