Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What Frame ? SantaCruz Superlight vs Giant Anthem X1
  • ivebrokenit
    Free Member

Going switch to a short travel FS bike this season – usage will be enduros, XC, plus general trips to Wales / trail riding. Forks will be 100mm Sids. Not paying up for carbon so will be plain old Aluminum.

What is better, the old school Superlight or fancy tapered head tubed Anthem ? Any other inspired choices ?

rainbow
    Free Member

I would get the Giant Anthem, I have one myself and love it, mine is 22″ frame with Shimano SLX groupset, Fox forks, Mavix 317 rims and it weigh 28lbs on the dot, if you are smaller, you can make it lighter than mine.

bol

I’d go for the anthem. It’s a much more modern frame/suspension, lighter and probably a fair bit stiffer – and probably cheaper too. If they both said Santacruz on the side would you be asking the same question?

nuke

Had an SL and, if I had the choice again, I’d go for the Anthem.

Worth considering the Flux (My current ride) as bargains exist out there.

dickie
    Free Member

Morewood Zula?

bella
    Free Member

Not riden an anthem but the Mrs has a medium juliana (Superlight with a different sticker) with the 20mm rebas on. Weighs about 26 pounds without trying too hard. Have put in a lot of miles on it from XC to the Swiss National DH run. Simple, effective, reliable. Not changed the bearings in nearly 4 years and no play. Really rate it.

TimCotic
    Free Member

Well if you can find a used frame, then a Superlight won’t cost you any more than an Anthem.
    I’ve had my 2007 SL frame for nearly 2 years and I’ve had no issues with the bomb-proof, maintenance-free single pivot. I’m about 85kg and I’ve done quite a few very mucky night (and day) rides, so if there were gonna be issues, I’d have had ’em.
    Put a 120mm bolt-thru fork on it and you have a lighter/short travel Orange 5. I’ve ridden a fancy German four-bar and, okay, it did ride better, but the frame was twice the price of the SL. The Superlight ain’t the latest and greatest but it’s pretty good!

Zoolander
    Free Member

Yeh – I had the same question end if last year and went for the superlight. Can’t fault it either – although I’ve never ridden a giant to compare. Had a slight problem with some play developing out back but santa cruz customer service was nothing short of excellent in helping me out.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If you like playing around with pro-pedal then get the superlight – the anthem shouldn’t need it.

but a flux will work even better than the anthem and be stiffer, but about 1lb heavier.

poisonspider
    Free Member

As Zoolander, I’ve not ridden the Anthem butI have got a Superlight. Only bought it a couple of weeks back and I’m very happy with it. Should be a decent winter full suss too, with only having one pivot.

Did consider a Flux, CRC had a shop soiled medium in white for £1100 last time I looked (had a horst link 5 spot previously which was good), but too many pivots for a winter bike, plus they’re a bit heavier.

brassneck

Own a superlight, ridden a few Anthems (friend owns a Giant dealership) – the Anthem would be high on my list for replacements, but I like the Superlight better. Not ridden a bike I hands down prefer to it. I’ve had it 10 years now, so it has a simple old Fox RLC nothing fancy.

Never messed about with shocks or anything, just get on it and ride around – it’s the perfect bike in my book, like a hardtail that just takes the edge off. All the supposed disadvantages of single pivots mean nothing to me, and the advantages of cheap easy servicing mean a lot.
    The only down side on mine is tyre clearance, but careful choice has eliminated this as an issue .. and the newer ones are far far better for this, are stiffer but a bit heavier.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Anthem rider here. The suspension design seems to work well (little pedal bob whether pro pedal is on or off), and it is a reasonably light frame (they barely saved any weight with the carbon version). People with small frames get bike weight down to 22lbs without trying too hard.

Mud clearance isn’t brilliant, although I’ve got a 2.25″ Racing Ralph at the back with sufficient clearance. The hole by the suspension in the front triangle collects mud, but it’s not a disaster.

Can’t comment on the Superlight, but I’d happily go Anthem again.

PS – The X1 frame is exactly the same as the X4 etc, so bear that in mind if you stumble across a bargain (e.g if buying an X4 and selling the bits).

vrapan
    Free Member

Never ridden a superlight but ride an Anthem with 120mm fork… Really nice ride

mtbfix

The Mrs. rides a Juliana and loves it. I think the newer shocks have breathed new life into ‘old’ single pivot design. I’ve got and AnthemX and rate it very highly. It rides brilliantly and the only fault after a full year of riding is a worn lower shock mount. My buddy in the workshop at a Giant dealership says this is a common fault but it will be easily remedied come strip and service time in the coming month.

Ultimately, both are very well regarded frames. Which you choose could come down to how highly you place simplicity.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Apparently the anthem frames are hard to get hold of, but both are periously close to the price of one of those discounted flux frames, so no contest in my book…

If you 5ft 10 or greater Merlin are doing complete builds with a 10% discount – strip all the bits off and sell and sell and you will have an even better deal.

ivebrokenit
    Free Member

Thanks everyone !

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What Frame ? SantaCruz Superlight vs Giant Anthem X1’ is closed to new replies.