Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What fork for On-One 456?
  • AWi
    Free Member

As per the title – what recommendations and experiences with different forks for the On-One 456? It will be used for trail riding. Looking at getting a 140mm fork. Looking at e.g. Fox Vanilla R and the new Revelation dual-air.

Terrain around here – singletrack, lots of roots and rocks, flat, very little climbing

Thanks

chvck
    Free Member

I’m running pikes on mine, maybe a touch heavy but work really well with the bike, I use mine for riding a bit of everything

clubber
    Free Member

your riding sounds like my local stuff in bristol. My 456 had a revelation on. 100mm was scary fast but fun, 115 a perfect for the singletrack and 130 good for the steeper stuff. For you, it really depends on what you ride most. For me, 140 would have been too much.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run Pikes on my 456 but for general up and down trail stuff I usually run them at around 125mm. Any more and the steering is a tad slow. Only in the Alps do they stay on full travel all day.

AWi
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback.

reggiegasket – you mention the steering will be slow with a Pike at 140. What stem length do you run?

I was looking at getting a 60 or 70mm stem for the 456.

Any tips on great prices for 140mm forks currently on sale?

carbon337
    Free Member

Anyone used recon 351 uturns (85-130) Ive heard they are similar fork to the revelations.

Vortexracing

Mates just bought a set of Pikes for his.I have pikes on my Soul, can’t recommend them enough

Vortexracing

He got his pikes from Merlin BTW

IHN

Revs on mine at 130mm. Smashing.

Lootenant
    Free Member

I’ve just bought Pikes for mine.

Winstanley’s have 2005 Pike Race for £259 here

and 2006 426 for £269 here

Look like good prices but there are always 2nd hand Pikes for sale on here

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run a 70mm stem on a 18″ frame. I’m 5’11’.

For anything downhill, the setup is really good. Manoeverable, chuckable etc.

But for climbing a singletrack it’s a tad slow steering unless you drop the fork to 120 or less. Then it’s fine.

clubber
    Free Member

recons are the same length as revelations at a given travel give or take but i didn’t think that recons have a 130 mm model. Are you sure they’re not toras?

clubber
    Free Member

also i’d suggest that slow is relative. For steep stuff you want slower handling eg 130+ travel but it’s not ideal for flat singletrack as it may feel a bit heavy and or slow even with a short stem. Of course it’ll all depend how you like your bikes to handle.

hora
    Free Member

I have a set of 2005 Pike SL’s on mine (also from Winstanleys recently!). Pikes can be wound up and down. Otherwise a set of WORKING Mazz 55’s????

Will someone PLEASE buy those Pike Race’s from Winstanleys- they are alot better quality than the 409/426’s. Better decals and paint finish!

Hairychested
    Free Member

Manitou Nixon Air something damping on mine. 140mm allways on, 70mm stem, no complaints. If it can’t climb it means I’m uselessly unfit.

billyboulders
    Free Member

COIL PIKES (imo)

AWi
    Free Member

What a great Saturday night 🙂 In front of the bike forum after having spent a few hours out riding the FS in the snow and ice.

Thanks for all the great feedback! Pike seems to be the weapon of choice for a 456 frame. I currently run a old Revelation u-turn and a 36RC2 talas on other bikes but a Pike is still missing in the garage.

As Hairychested mentions he favors the coil Pike. There is a u-turn air version as well.

So … what experiences on Pike coils vs Pike airs?

Thanks again!

clubber
    Free Member

coil is slightly more plush but may mean forking(!) out for a new set of springs if you’re not average weight.

Air is more adjustable and lighter.

I prefer air

billyboulders
    Free Member

Buy them from your friendly neighbourhood LBS and they’ll do a spring swap free if you need it. IME 99.9% find the standard coils OK anyway. Works better (again IME)and saves all that faffing and bothering about “have I got the right p.s.i, has some leaked out, etc, etc”
    I prefer coil 😉

BTW I do have a hairy chest, but I’m definitely not “hairychested” (the STW member) – he wasn’t very nice to me yesterday so I thought I’d clear that up!

clubber
    Free Member

i don’t find that i have to check my air revs very often and i can easily change the spring rate for different riding but like i kind of said, each have their advantages

billyboulders
    Free Member

each have their advantages

Spot on there clubber, a personal choice thing at the end of the day.

Mind you, I dont have to check my coils at all, let alone “not often”, they always work OK! 😉

hora
    Free Member

Buy them from your friendly neighbourhood LBS as they will charge you a friendly £450.

Or buy for £259 online and follow the very easy instructions that Flooks will send you. It is so simply that I managed to swap the spring 8)

billyboulders
    Free Member

Hora, your LBS isn’t as friendly as mine then! (454’s £275 fitted)
    I do buy alot of stuff there though and have done some stuff at my work for the lads that work at the bike shop in return.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What fork for On-One 456?’ is closed to new replies.