Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What fork for 2005 turner 5 spot?
  • parisroubaix

In process of buying a vgc 2005 horst link 5 spot frame (5 inches, doesn’t have the longer travel rockers)
    I was thinking of a fox f120, any turner 5 spot owners got good advice regarding this?

squin
    Free Member

I run U-Turn Revs (90-130mm I think) on mine and they’re spot on. I do wind them down for steep climbs.

I’ve got the coil ones as I run a Ti Coil DHX shock on mine – weighs a bit more than air but feels very smooth.

heihei

You may find the 120’s too short. I prefered my 05 Spot with slacker angles so ran a Pike @ 130mm with the stock rockers and a Z1 Light with the 5.5″ rockers.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive got the 06 with 5.3 rockers and i use a a 32 talas i run it 140 for most stuff long climbs click to 120 and steep ones click to 100 😉

duckman

Rev dual air, with longer 5.5 rockers on the bum.

midlifecrashes

130mmm Vanilla 32s here,2003/4 5spot, nice balance to it. Chosen because that’s what I had, rather than research. Recently got some 2006 Reba Race at 115mm for the hardtail and they’re exactly the same axle to crown as the vanillas, so I’d say for a taller front end go RS, lower go Fox. Doesn’t seem like the 5spot is a fussy frame, it can be made to ride nicely with all sorts of kit on it. Endless discussion of various builds over on the Turner section of mtbr.com forums.

traildog
    Free Member

I’ve a 5spot with the 5.1rockers. I currently use a 130mm Vanilla. It’s ok – good dampening and supple but the bushes feel a bit lose and there is a question mark on it over longevity. I’ll probably try a Rockshox next and most probably a Rev.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I’am getting my 04 refurbished and am getting a 09 Fox Float 140 QR15.Mojo said they can knock the forks down to 130mm.This gives the ideal axle to crown height of 500mm.As you see above people are runnin longer forks like Pikes.I think F120’S might be a little short?
    Thanx Max

Russell96

I’ve got an ’04 5Spot on the original rockers, I’ve tried a number of forks on it over the years (Fox Float 130RLCs, Marz AM1’s, Marz Z1) and the best has to be RS Pikes which I just leave at 140mm. The 04 Model 5Spot was designed around the 130mm Fox forks at the time so the 120’s might leave it feeling a bit too twitchy.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I run Pikes on mine, though it has longer PUSH rockers, if anything they feel a mite too short.

poisonspider
    Free Member

I’ve got the same setup as anotherdeadhero, 140mm Pikes up front and Pushed rockers giving just short of 6″ at the back using a Romic coil (with nice Ti spring).
    Use it mainly for DH stuff like Cwm Carn and trips to the Alps etc. Pikes are air at the minute, coil would maybe have been better though.

UK-FLATLANDER

Pikes here, they seem to be the fork of choice for the guys on the Turner part of the MTBR forum.

parisroubaix

The thing is the pikes are quite heavy if you compare the specs with Fox.
    I could afford whatever i want really but the price of the latest forks is rather steep. All the bolt through qr 15 ones seem to be over 650 if you want RLC options. I had rockshox in the past and they were returned under warranty 6 times in one year (2002-2003)- i appreciate build quality has moved on but I was rather scarred by the experience. My fox f100 forks have been on for 3 years with no problems at all.

UK-FLATLANDER

Most of the mags suggest that Pikes are one of the most reliable forks about. The F120 looks like a great fork, but personally I would suggest it would be a little short for the 5 Spot. I previously ran a Pace RC40xcam. which was great, but I felt that the Pike, with the 20mm Maxle better suited my build.

el_boufador

I’m running 2007 marzocchi all mountain SL1s I swapped in from another bike. Run them at 130mm most of the time, occasionally winding out to 150mm. 160 is too much. If I was buying a fork for the bike again it would probably be pikes.

johnners
    Free Member

You need to hunt down a pair of ’04 Z1 Freerides – pair o’ them plus 5 Spot = perfick!

Romic at the back, with M4s and 519/719s comes in at about 32lbs, but who cares?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What fork for 2005 turner 5 spot?’ is closed to new replies.