Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • What folding knife or multi tool for my dad?
  • crankboy
    Free Member

What bit of your Gerber crucial did he use most and is the bit that looks like a carabinier a potato peeler ?
    First question genuine as it sort of defines what to buy him.
    Second question genuine as I can’t work out what it is from Google images and the tool over all looks ace.

crankboy
    Free Member

Legal in public is folding pocket knife blade under 3ins or reasonable excuse . is if it is over 3ins or locks the burden is on you to justify why you have/need it.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Legal in public is folding pocket knife blade under 3ins or reasonable excuse . is if it is over 3ins or locks the burden is on you to justify why you have/need it.

And what possible justification is there for carrying a shiv like this?

bearnecessities

Quite right. Wearing a wedding ring on a thumb is unforgivable.

Saying that, at least the chap’s also equipped for emergency oyster consumption.

CountZero

You really don’t have much of a clue, do you? 🙄
    Shiv! Jeeze it’s a tiny little folding pocket knife with a blade around two inches long, which doesn’t lock, and is perfectly legal in the UK.
    That’s why it’s called the Squeak, as in pipsqueak.
    Idiot.

crankboy
    Free Member

The sqeek is under 3 inches and folds so you don’t legally need to justify why you carry something that you could use to cut food string packaging make a quick tooth pick or tent peg or prune or take cuttings with or hand over to your mates wife in a pub so she can get a toy out of it’s packaging for her son or even sharpen a pencil. I admit it would be a little more useful with a bottle opener built in.

jimjam
    Free Member

CountZero

You really don’t have much of a clue, do you?

He’s clearly trolling hard mate. Reuben if you really want to debate that start a thread I’m sure it’d be interesting. As above, sub 3″ folding knives are legal. But I can just as easily (much more easily actually) buy
    something like this with an 8″ blade.

or indeed

Both vastly superior for stabbing someone.

willard

You’d go flat blade over Posi? Interesting choice…

jimjam
    Free Member

willard – Member

You’d go flat blade over Posi? Interesting choice…

C’mon, I’m gonna sharpen it first. Can’t do that with a pozi. You can’t go around shanking people with a blunt screw driver, that’s just barbaric.

sands
    Free Member

jimjam – Member
    From your posts:

Durability would be key, but good ergonomics important too. Quality steel is a must, something that takes and holds an edge well.

Looks aside I’m after functionality, first and foremost.

However for beating up/ruining and hard use I think the construction of more modern knives would be better suited.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I use, and would certainly recommend, a Buck Alpha. One hand opening and closing is very useful.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrL5226-GOQ[/video]

Heinnie
    BU279BK Rubber / Black Nylon Case £64.95
    BU277 Rosewood / Leather Case £87.95

Locking 3 ½ inch blade so you need to be able to justify carrying it.

Which reminded me of this from the British Blades forum – Ask A Cop

Ross: “As I said before, if you are smartly dressed, polite, sober and can explain your possession of such a tool, you shouldn’t have a problem.”

Ggfh666: “Just one question. What is smartly dressed?”

Ross: “Not wearing a white shell suit and a Burberry baseball cap”

PS The SOG PowerDuo is known to have problems with the plastic scales cracking.

willard

How about something like this is different or, if you think wood is a bit more subtle, this.

This is out of your price bracket, but is really quite lovely. It also has VG10 for the core of the blade/cutting edge and damascus for the outside.

colournoise

Related question.

All of us with a Leatherman Wave or similar – obviously a locking knife under the law. Anyone ever had to justify carrying it as a cyclist? Seems to me it would be borderline as to whether it’s ‘reasonable’ depending on the mindset of the magistrate of officer?

yunki
    Free Member

I’m not opposed to sensible folk carrying knives, but unless you’re using it for work what’s the purpose really?

I mean, how do us bladeless people survive?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I mean, how do us bladeless people survive?

You ask bladed people for help?

joshvegas
    Free Member

I use mine for work. In an office.

How about a svord peasant mini in wood handled flavour. Pretty little thing, sturdy as you like non locking but effectively locked if you are holding it. And cheeeeeeeap

shifter
    Free Member

I justify mine because it came with my tool in this natty pouch. It even has an image of bikes on it. Main use seems to be cutting cable-ties.

Basil
    suburbanreuben
    Free Member

But both far harder to conceal,which seems to be it’s point.
    Legal or not (and that’s debatable, depending on circumstances) , I think you’d have a hard time justifying carrying the shiv to plod, except for shucking oysters.

chewkw
    Free Member

I have seen two or three machetes and two fixed blades on Heinnie Haynes from Condor that I like so may order them in future.

As for OP, how about any of these?

Black Fox Pocket Knife 78 @ £18.95.

Boker Plus Exskelibur G10@ £54.95

Magnum Timberman @ £15.95

Magnum First Responder @ £20.95 (I like this one)

Ka-Bar Dozier Hunter @ £23.95

CRKT Liong Mah Folder @ £36.95 (I like this too)

Boker Plus XS @ £38.95 (Good review this)

As for the legality just get away with whatever you can as you are not zombies hunting …

sands
    Free Member

^^^ I like that
    How about this to go with it?

Flintstones Swiss Army Knife

CountZero

suburbanreuben – Member

But both far harder to conceal,which seems to be it’s point.
    Legal or not (and that’s debatable, depending on circumstances) , I think you’d have a hard time justifying carrying the shiv to plod, except for shucking oysters.
    Clearly a troll, as you have no idea what you’re talking about. A Squeak is hopelessly inappropriate for opening an oyster, or anything that requires leverage; the blade is only a couple of mm thick, and would snap off.
    It’s a tiny folding pocket knife for general day to day use, opening plastic packaging, cutting string, or zip-ties, all the things that you can’t use your teeth or nails to open.
    A shiv is a fixed bladed improvised weapon, as you really ought to know:

A shiv (possibly from the Romani word chivomengro, “knife”[1]) is a slang term for any sharp or pointed implement used as a knife-like weapon. The Oxford English Dictionary suggests shive, a razor, documented in 1915, as the root word.[2]

The word in practical usage is frequently used when referring to an improvised bladed weapon. Shivs are commonly made by inmates in prisons across the world. A shiv can be anything from a glass shard with fabric wrapped around one end to form a handle, to a razor blade stuck in the end of a toothbrush. Synonyms include shank,[3] chiv, and chib (from Scottish slang, as exemplified in the novel Trainspotting, “chib” was originally a name for a blunt weapon such as a mattock handle or tree branch). These terms, along with “shiv”, can be used either as a noun or a transitive verb, referring to the weapon or the act of attacking with such a weapon respectively.

In the USA, these improvised prison knives are called shanks.
    And yunki, do you honestly never, ever find yourself in a situation where having a small knife would be really useful when you’re away from house or office?
    Or don’t you ever get away from an urban environment?
    I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve cut back overhanging brambles from cycle paths and footpaths, for example.

CountZero

Just to give a clear idea of what size we’re talking about here, this is a pic of the Squeak open, compared to a normal penknife of a sort that pretty much every schoolboy would have carried in his pocket a century ago. Dickie, it’s late owner, was 22 when he was killed at Arras in 1917, and it’s clear from the wear on the blade he’d probably carried that knife most of his very short life.
    That little knife would still be perfectly legal to carry, and indeed, I still do. The Squeak is obviously very much shorter, doesn’t lock, and is no more dangerous to carry.
    If I was going to use something as a weapon, that could really mess someone up, I’d use a biro.

[/url] Untitled by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

yunki
    Free Member

Hmmm… Dodgy teen bracelets and weird ring, ww1 relics and talk of messing people up with biros, all mixed up with a fixation about carrying a sharp implement..

I don’t feel safe knowing that such characters are roaming the countryside with concealed weapons 😉

jimjam
    Free Member

willard – Member

How about something like this is different or, if you think wood is a bit more subtle, this.

This is out of your price bracket, but is really quite lovely. It also has VG10 for the core of the blade/cutting edge and damascus for the outside.

Willard, those are some great suggestions, thanks. I’ve now gone from thinking I might buy myself a mini griptillian and something a bit nicer for dad to “needing” two of these

sands
    I use, and would certainly recommend, a Buck Alpha. One hand opening and closing is very useful.

Liking those too! I’m a fan of thumb studs and liner as well.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘What folding knife or multi tool for my dad?’ is closed to new replies.