Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • What folding knife or multi tool for my dad?
  • jimjam
    Free Member

I’ve often thought about getting getting him one of these as a gift but never bothered since he he’s a bit of tool snob and has most “real tools” you could want, and they get serious abuse. However I had my Gerber Crucial with me over xmas and he practically stole it off me.

Any suggestions for something nice? Budget maybe £100 or so. I think a knife would be best, but pliers and a screw driver might be acceptable. Durability would be key, but good ergonomics important too. Quality steel is a must, something that takes and holds an edge well.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Kuco

I’ve got a Leatherman Wave that i’m happy with.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve got a Leatherman Charge that i’m happy with.

jimjam
    Free Member

Kuco

I’ve got a Leatherman Wave that i’m happy with.

Sorry Kuco, I should have said I think something lots of blades/features might just annoy him. So less is more maybe.

marmaduke
    Free Member

I have a Leatherman Wave and a Victorinox Swisstool Spirit X, the Spirit just clinches it in terms of quality.

willard

What’s he going to be using it for? If it’s a multi-tool for a gift, then the Leatherman is a really good choice, probably better than most Gerbers. If you think just a knife is better, then look for a quality steel (S30V, ELMAX, VG10, something like that) for the blade.

The only problem with buying a knife with a decent steel is that, for that price, you won’t find much. I saw a knife blank here (linky) that is in that range that would give him a project at the same time though.

***edit*** Scratch the above idea… That was a fixed blade

jimjam
    Free Member

willard – Member

What’s he going to be using it for?

Everything really. He’s spends virtually all of his free time outside in the countryside, hiking, gathering firewood, odd jobs about the house etc.

willard

The only problem with buying a knife with a decent steel is that, for that price, you won’t find much.

I was thinking that, but personally I’ve only looked at fixed blades (in terms of nice steel), which I don’t think he’d be comfortable carrying about. What would I need to spend to get something decent in a folder? I could put it on the back burner and get him something for his birthday. I’ve looked at spyderco and benchmade in the past for myself but never got round to buying anything.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I personally have a Gerber multi tool ( can’t remember the model) and it’s been great plus they’re very goood on repairs if you abuse and snap a blade 😆
    If you dad liked your multitool that much why not get him one the same and have it engraved for him…..so he can’t switch it for yours when he’s bent or dulled a blade?

jimjam
    Free Member

Suggsey – Member

I personally have a Gerber multi tool ( can’t remember the model) and it’s been great plus they’re very goood on repairs if you abuse and snap a blade
    If you dad liked your multitool that much why not get him one the same and have it engraved for him…..so he can’t switch it for yours when he’s bent or dulled a blade?

Cos I think he’d break it Suggsey, and also I’d maybe just like to get him something nicer. I love my Gerber but I just keep it in my camelbak in case of emergencies or around the house for opening beers etc, light stuff. It’s developed a bit of play, but it’s fantastic ergonomically.

fourbanger
    Free Member

There are some exotic wood handeled Opinels available. That’s what I’d go for.

Kuco

Leatherman come with 25 year warranty and I use mine at work as do others where I work, mix of Leatherman and Gerbers.

AlasdairMc

Leatherman Skeletool CX? It has very few things on it, just a decent blade, pliers, bottle opener and screwdriver bits. I’ve used mine for a hell of a lot, and it’s invaluable.

CountZero

Get him a Leatherman and an Opinel with a carbon steel blade. Yes, the steel will stain, but carbon steel will take and hold a better edge. You could maybe get him a less complicated multitool, plus a carbon steel Opinel and an Opinel folding saw, the saw would be really handy if he likes to cut stick for walking with, or pruning larger branches on garden trees.
    Just a few suggestions, really, I know I’d love an Opinel, they’re the classic folding pocket knife.

kerbdog
    Free Member

Have a browse through this website, its a fairly decent site to deal with.
    http://www.heinnie.com/knives-and-tools/multi-tools

Trekster
    Malvern Rider
    Free Member

a Victorinox Rangergrip, either Handyman or similar? Bigger ones have a (generally well regarded) folding saw blade, ideal for sticks. Wenger too make something like this.

[video]http://youtu.be/21djabvSbuI[/video]

Something specialer? The Wenger Mike Horn Ranger?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

What about a Victorinox Rangergrip Handyman

Is that Victorinox?
    If not, you know where to put it…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

What about a Victorinox Rangergrip Handyman

Is that Victorinox?
    If not, you know where to put it…

Think it is, as stated. But if not, then take it up with the Youtuber 😀

Dibbs
    Free Member

+1 for Leatherman Skeletool CX, very sharp 😳

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

😳 gah, or even the one who linked the wrong video 😳 ok, let’s see if I can do it right this time, and with this Wenger in my rear…

Victorinox Rangergrip:

[video]http://youtu.be/HI41_guqcp0[/video]

NB I haven’t owned a Rangergrip so can only recommend via other reviews. I use both Victorinox Swiss Champ and Camper – Champ at home as multitool, or long trips, Camper as a general carry around when, er, camping 🙂

chudsy
    Free Member

I like the Leatherman Surge? Have a few multi tools to choose from, Leatherman, Gerber and Victorinox, the Surge has the best tool set for me but the Victorinox is built better. Any brand will be easy enough to personalise to make it a nicer gift.

rene59
    Free Member

Get him a Leatherman and an Opinel with a carbon steel blade.

^This. Every one should have at least one each of these!

nedrapier

Another vote for the Opinel. Something on here a while ago prompted me to look up the history of the company and the knife. I knew they were a classic, just didn’t know how much!

Worth a read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinel_knife

jimjam
    Free Member

Dibbs – Member

+1 for Leatherman Skeletool CX, very sharp

It was top of my list before I bought my gerber s0 I borrowed a skeletool but just couldn’t get on with it. I didn’t like how it felt in my hand I it was very easy to nip myself with the pliers.

kerbdog – Member

Have a browse through this website, its a fairly decent site to deal with.
    http://www.heinnie.com/knives-and-tools/multi-tools

I had a nosey there and I think the SOG power duo looks close to what I had in mind, primarily pliers and a knife. The sheeps foot blade is a plus too. Though SOG are not a brand I have any experience of. The Leatherman Freestyle looks good too though.

kiwijohn

Skeletool is nice but losing the screw driver bits is a pain. Mine now lives in my camelback & I take a leatherman sidekick to work. All I really need in a leatherman.
    For a plain knife, Mercator Black Cat.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Don’t forget to look at the Victorinox Swisstool variants, some have a measuring rule on the handles. Yes I’m a Victorinox fan…

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Ignoring the multi tool part completely, what about something along these lines:
    Little Mester. A bit posher than the opinel. Heaps of variations to choose from.

jimjam
    Free Member

twicewithchips – Member

Ignoring the multi tool part completely, what about something along these lines:
    Little Mester. A bit posher than the opinel. Heaps of variations to choose from.

That’s very nice, though someone needs to help them with their website. It might just be a bit too nice to wreck.

At the minute I am thinking along the lines of this

or this

crankboy
    Free Member

How old is your Dad? is he or was he in the SAS? if young outdoors SAS then your two black options are spot on . If an old tool snob, then the Little Mester is the answer . I am on the look out for a new knife having sharpened the life out of my swiss army knife over twenty odd years.
    Of all the above the Ranger Grip is the one I like, but only because I inherited a walnut handled single blade pocket knife from my Dad so the Little Master would duplicate that which I have (and never use because it is too nice and too loaded with emotion.)

5thElefant
    Free Member

How about a Michael Morris friction folder? He’ll make one to your specifications, so you can spec it as UK legal to carry. There was a 3 month waiting list last time I ordered from him though.

http://www.michaelmorrisknives.com

jimjam
    Free Member

crankboy – Member

How old is your Dad? is he or was he in the SAS? if young outdoors SAS then your two black options are spot on . If an old tool snob, then the Little Mester is the answer

No was not in the SAS. He’s in his early 60s and while I know where you’re coming from re the looks he’s not exactly flat cap and slippers yet. Looks aside I’m after functionality, first and foremost. The little mester looks like a lovely piece of craft work that’s also a good knife, no doubt. However for beating up/ruining and hard use I think the construction of more modern knives would be better suited. It’s nothing to be precious about. The black finish blade is probably my personal taste tbh.

Looking at Boker too, this is lovely. Titanium goodness.

They even do a damscus steel variant with steel from the cannon of a eurofighter, or pieces of the Tirpitz !! But when you get over a few hundred quid you’re well passed something you might drop in the forest.

5thElefant – Member

How about a Michael Morris friction folder? He’ll make one to your specifications, so you can spec it as UK legal to carry. There was a 3 month waiting list last time I ordered from him though.

http://www.michaelmorrisknives.com

Very interesting.

godzilla
    Free Member

something special
    I’m love my Griptilian, mind your fingers had the best price, I’ve a discount code for Them and Heinnie, hit me up if you need it.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Spyderco ukpk is the most useful pocket knife I own. Got a couple of the more expensive locking folders and they don’t get used as much. £50 for the cheaper version or £200 ish for the s30v/carbon fibre jobbie, if you can still find one. Legal to carry in public and one hand open close. Very easy to keep sharp. You can get them in coloured scales too so they look a little less scary to ‘normal’ people 😉

tymbian
    Free Member

What’s the definition of legal to carry in public?

godzilla
    Free Member

Non locking, sub 3″

CountZero

Non locking, sub 3″

This. Strictly speaking, Opinel fall outside this as they can be locked open with the slotted ring, but I doubt if anyone would worry too much about that. Spyderco do a number of UK legal knives, the little Squeak is a very handy knife, that can’t be closed when you’re holding it, and there’s a regular penknife with a longer legal blade.
    Squeak,

Shows how the choil stops the blade closing on your finger.

jimjam
    Free Member

tymbian – Member

Off the top of my head it’s illegal to have a folding knife with a blade longer than 3 inches. There’s some reference to the type of locking mechanism too I think. If you have good reason (hunting, fishing etc) though you can justify carrying certain types of knife.

EDIT: I didn’t refresh the page before posting.

Cletus

Another vote for the Leatherman Skeletool CX

Basil

CRKT Wasp ,looks real fine .

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘What folding knife or multi tool for my dad?’ is closed to new replies.